Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why Cant I Get This Door Hing Pin Out?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mark Jenny, Jan 3, 2015.

1. A hammer and drift pin is many times more likely to bend the sheet metal the hinge is attached to. An air hammer is a better choice.

Heat is going to do the trick getting the pin out almost every time. It's also guaranteed to fuck up the paint 100% of the time. Here's the thing to consider though, if you heat carefully and protect surrounding areas you just need to repaint the hinge. If you twerk a hinge or supporting structure you multiplied the amount of work exponentially.

Hard to say what you have there, but the flange should not be on the bottom.
    Do not try to drive the knerls thru the hinge. If someone installed the pin bottom side up and you drive it the other way you'll really be hating life.

image.jpg

2. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Joeycarpunk brings up a good point. The wax trick is pretty amazing, recently a customer of mine had some bulldozer pins froze solid not even hinting of coming out. He heat & beat in them for hours on end. Not wanting to be made fun of by his pals, he waited until they left then lit some candles on the suckers , let them melt down soaking with wax ..... Low & behold he is a believer every single one came out easy!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  3. I had the same problem with the sloted hinge screws on my A . Some pb blaster and a 10 dollar impact driver from harbour freight got them all knocked loose. Give that a try if you end up having to take the hinge off. Beats having to drill them out.

4. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I have a hinge removel tool,used once. PM me if you would like to borrow it if all else fails.

5. jamesd1502

jamesd1502
    from san diego

I had the same issue on all my door pins. I had to grind off the tops, lots of heat(cautious to paint or pannels) and a air hammer. Good luck!!!

6. Pain in the ass is what it is.

7. perk30

perk30

I used the Bob Drake tool to get my pins out. Cranked the tool down after hitting it with PB Blaster and let it work overnight. Cranked it down some more the next day and finally got it out. The tool broke just as I was getting my last pin out but I did get them all out using that method over a period of a few days.

8. 5window

5window

Here's what my '31 coupe hinge pins looked like after we go them out. The top two, I'd already drilled out with a 12" long 1/4" bit for hing pin mirrors. Note that Model A original hinge pins are NOT 1/4" OD

Attached Files:

9. Rusty Cheese

Rusty Cheese

Plan candle wax. Don't know why it works but it does. Got the idea on the HAMB...

10. You must have a darn good one,I managed to break the one I got from Bob Drake. HRP

11. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Heat and wax, It works .

12. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

I thought it would be easy too but it took me 8 hours to do all four of my pins and hinge bolts it was a nightmare I drilled them then air hammered and I had to drill and tap all of my flat head counter sunk screws then had a hell of a time getting the plate out you want to knock them out from the bottom and out the top when drilling make sure you step the bit from small pilot to a larger hole but keep it strait it is hard to do with the door on the car then punch it out with some heat and a crayon heat it and sweat the crayon in like your sweating solder in a pipe then it will pop out You can use it for bolts too I know you may not want to heat it but sometimes you just have to. I whish I wasn't so cheap I should have just bought new hinges but I like driving my self insane with an air hammer

13. 60 Belair

60 Belair

been stated already but this is what I did works great weld old craftsman's chisel to air hammer bit, I also like to heat and melt anti-seize in to pin area kinda like the wax trick. Andy

[​IMG]

belair likes this.
  14. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Well...after many hours of drilling and using the tips I got here, I now have a mirror!!...yay!!!....never had so much trouble adding a mirror!!...first I tried a '"peep" mirror..but they wont work on these early fords...just no room in the jamb to accept the bracket...anyway..thanks to everybody here for the help and support!!...cant wait to remove them all to paint the coupe...yuck..:)''''enjoy the process...right?.thats why we do this....I think

Attached Files:

15. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

one more pic

Attached Files:

16. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

think I'll just buy 6 new hinges when I paint it :)

17. Now you can tell someone else how to do it!!!!

18. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I want to try that wax trick...sounds cool!

19. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

This particular pin had no mushroom shape at the top of the pin...it was cut off flush with the top of the hinge...the bottom had a slight flange to it..not from pounding on it in the past, but a machined lip...a couple of my 6 hinges have this scenario, the others have standard mushroom tops as seen in your pic that you posted

20. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

brings up another topic/question...my graffiti coupe in my avatar has two door hinges..the full fender white coupe has 3...both are titled as 31's...wassup with that?..is it because of the chop on the grey coupe?

21. dan31

dan31

Because of chop. They cut out area of third hinge.

22. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Thanks Dan..solves that mystery..one thing though..seems like I;ve sen coupes chopped that still have 3 hinges???

23. regarding buying all new hinges. When you see the price of 6 new hinges, ya might just wanna get that drill back out. LOL
    -Pat

barett likes this.
  24. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

are they super pricey Pat?....

25. So how do you figure that pin went in?

26. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I have no clue 31 Vicky...I'll try and remember to take a shot of the other door , it has a hinge with the same type of pin...then 4 hinges have the mushroom shape

27. Mark,
    I think that I saw a set at around 400.00. They're all custom made. nice but steep.
    -Pat

28. dan31

dan31

It just depends on how they decided to to the chop. My 31 is chopped and has 3 hinges. The doors are light enough and the hinge area strong enough that two is fine.

29. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Wow!!..you werent kidding Pat!!!..guess I'll salvage my hinges best that I can :)

30. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Thanks for the info Dan.....