Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods BAD EXPERINCE WITH BUBBA'S HOT ROD SHOP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bundybiker, May 15, 2014.

1. bundybiker

bundybiker
    from australia

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience / experiences .
    BUNDYBIKER

2. Sad to see this happen...

Bubba worked long and hard to build a good reputation but the old adage of when you do wrong no one forgets is very much true. HRP

3. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

If you truly believe that Bubba will do right for you, then it is time for you to pm a moderator and have this post deleted as it doesn't solve anything...unless you feel that hurting his business will benefit you somehow?...........

4. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

One awe shit wipes out a 1,000 attaboys.....old Navy saying.

loudbang and slack like this.
  5. Bundy- I feel for ya....Long to short- Never have conducted biz with Bubba,and don't plan to after this read.......
    I dealt with one of those "go to guys" on Ford Barn for some shocks to have rebuilt. Asked all the Q's up front,and heard the right answers,so I sent him my stuff.....
    Low and behold,same scenario.... the dog ate my homework,I got a flat tire,there was a flood........
    Pissed me off to no end,and MY parts were in someone else's possesion...... Granted- YES granted,things DO happen,but if your offering your services,and someone sends you their parts,however many miles away,and YOUR buisiness flownders for whatever reason,I would damn well hope that people could at least communicate a little! Like- Hey- SORRY........I'm sending you your parts back......
    It came down to the last straw, and I just said I would be contacting RYAN about things........ Didn't want to go that route,or get him involved in the petty BS,but low and behold- My parts suddenly showed up done....
    Always an option...... The highly revered still shit like we do,unless,well, you get it.
    Wish you the best.......

6. 5window

5window

6 months wait for something custom from a busy shop=I can see that. Another year on top of that of delays,excuses and poor communication and that's one long "AWE Shit". Add on top of that the poster with the Mallory issues and there's a problem.

In May, RYAN posted "GMC Bubba is the official ignition man of the H.A.M.B. for a reason." So I'd like to know what's up. Seems too often there is a post from an overseas HAMBer that they're getting pushed to the side.

7. In May, RYAN posted "GMC Bubba is the official ignition man of the H.A.M.B. for a reason.

Trust me,
    more than anyone I know that shit happens and that things come up that really rock the boat to the point of capsizing. Even so there's no excuse for not communicating or for someone else to communicate for you & honestly.

If one chooses to say "not my fault" then a solution needs to be created. Creating such a solution with BS as a medium just makes a slight change in plans into an infinitely infuriating situation, as clearly played out here.

No matter what, nothing in the universe can justify a 2 year ordeal for bundybiker.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  8. silent rick

silent rick

last conversation i had with jim was he wasn't taking on anything until after Jan 1st. no matter what goes down here, i'll continue to send him work. after all, i'm the guy who still does business with eric and continues to receive great deals.

i'm just curious, if jim hadn't taken on the job, who would you have asked to perform the work on your ignitions?

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

That's all well and good but ... I can't think of anyone on here willing to wait 2 years for a distributor I think the guy has an honest gripe and its nice to not see this swept under the carpet by the hamb

INVISIBLEKID and X38 like this.
  10. 5window

5window

You're last statement has no real meaning here if we're keeping on topic. More to the point is your first -Bubba agreed to take on a job-that means once it's overdue-and for me that's about 6 months-a PROFESSIONAL BUSINESSMAN stops taking other work until he can complete his commitment. This is exactly like the complaints that are commonly heard here about body and paint shops-took my car,made a lot of promises and then kept shoving it to the back because they got faster,easier, more profitable jobs to do. What happened to a man's word being his bond? Jim might be a great guy and do great work-I have no reason to believe otherwise. But, he is a pretty poor businessman, a poor HAMBer to stiff a fellow member, and still needs to stand by not just his work, but his word.

INVISIBLEKID, X38 and pat59 like this.
  11. bundybiker

bundybiker
    from australia

12. bundybiker

bundybiker
    from australia

In my first post I said I eventually got a new dissy from Tom Langdon from stovebolt , I had it here in oz within 2 weeks .
    I am sure Jim will see me right on this one .

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To get down to brass tacks, does anyone know who else does these conversions? I know enough machinists that I could get it done locally, but I really don't need to "re-invent the wheel".

14. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

I agree...

15. So you so have a distributor that you purchased from someone else,correct?

8 months is way too long to wait for a part to be repaired.

Why not send Bubba a Pm and quit pussy footing around.... tell him to return your distributor and that your tired of waiting for him.... and be done with it. HRP

16. bundybiker

bundybiker
    from australia

Almost 2 years wait for the parts
    and I have sent Bubba several e/mails requesting my parts to be returned , he says they will be sent , but they don't appear ,
    After reading post 34 from Bubba in may 2014 , I thought they would arrive ,
    and I asked jim in a phone call about the dissy from tom Langdon and he said that Tom sells a good product ,and he didn't have a problem with me getting one .

17. I would think Jim would want the clear this up and try to repair his reputation instead of ignoring the problem,,obviously it ain't gonna go away. HRP

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  18. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Jim @ BUBBAS is A-OK in my book he rebuilt a y-block dizzy for me in 2013.

19. 5window

5window

That's fine, good to know. But, honestly, would you be satisfied if you'd gotten the service and response the OP has gotten? It looks like Bubba skipped bundybiker's work to do yours. Think that's fair?

prewarcars4me likes this.
  20. Damn that sucks!
    -Pat

21. So- I gather all this- and if i'm wrong,I shall stand corrected......
    You've TALKED on the phone- Pretty much asking about a Stovebolt Distributor,and that was probably due to the fact that the turn around time was outta control,and you had to move on- AND you were told it was a good product!?!= flag!
    Sign that your going to purchase somewhere else,and buisiness is over here.
    You were also TOLD that your parts were going to be sent back(which never were).
    Now- it's here,and we all read......... I only have one Q for you,and will not be the "arm chair quarterback" any longer......
    Have you contacted RYAN,or any Mod's for that matter?
    Seem's that's the only option you have to get your parts back in your possesion.......
    And as far as "making it good".......Your a VERY patient man......

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Who pays the return shipping to Oz when work not done?

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the final analysis, it looks like there is a problem here. To move on, again, is there anyone else that does this? If not, I'll have it done locally. Looks like a hellluva business opportunity for someone!

24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I tried calling and emailing Bubbas today. neither worked. Anybody have any information about what's going on?

25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's been on the "Ford Barn" the last couple of days touting his new product, the conversion of a new GM SBC distributor for 8BA's. Looks like he has changed the direction of his operation.

26. I can't believe that this thread is still alive.
    First off Jim I am sorry to hear about your machinist, if I still had access to a machine shop I would say send me your specs and I will get you caught up, materials is all I would need from you.

I think that there is a simple truth here that a lot of us don't understand, the schools stopped cranking out machinists that could operate anything more then a CNC machine at least 10 years ago. A machinist that can do a one off job with common old school machine shop tools is almost a thing of the past.

Maybe we should cut Jim a little slack, it probably wouldn't hurt a thing if someone with access to a shop and a little time would step up and say, "hey I'll help you buddy." its not like Jim hasn't helped more then his share on here.

HOTRODPRIMER and pitman like this.
  27. I know Jim has a great rep for doing fine work and I don't want to do anything to tarnish that. I have contacted him a couple of times about various things and he has always been quick to respond, was very generous with the info he shared. I have a couple of things that I would like to send over to him for some work but I will wait until this all gets sorted out as I do need my parts back in a reasonable amount of time.

Things happen that may cause delays and most folks understand that, but COMMUNICATION along the way is ESSENTIAL to having happy customers and maintaining a good reputation. If you won't be able to get to something for 6 months, you need to tell the customer that from the start. If something happens and a job is going to be delayed, you need to be pro-active and tell the customer before they're beating on the door wanting to know where their parts are. If you find out that you won't be able to complete a job at all for whatever reason, send the customers parts back on your nickle. Sometimes you have to eat the loss but it's a small price to pay for a good rep. It's simple really, and makes everyone's life more stress free.

I'm not addressing this to Jim specifically, it's just my general business philosophy and what I expect from vendors that I deal with.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Very true, Benno.

29. I have tried to be neutral in this thread but it seems like you keep betting a dead horse.

Have you tried contacting (PM) Ryan to see if he can have any influence in at least getting your parts back. HRP