Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Lowering Shoebox Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Slow 50, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Slow 50

Slow 50
    from Dallas, TX

I am in the process of getting the following installed on my 1950 2dr Ford Custom Deluxe.
    2.5" Drop Spindles
    1.0" Drop Springs
    4.0" De-arched Leaf Springs
    1.0" Optional Drop Leaf Spring hangers
    My goal is to have the car sitting flat, or to have minimal tail drag. This should end up to be a 3.5/4, or 3.5/5 drop. I'm using Jamco and Shoebox-Central out of Oklahoma for parts. I will post a pic of the results and a rundown of the headaches. I've already found that certain additional parts are desired to have on hand if you want to do this over a weekend. This experience already pains me mentally and financially so please don't be Assy with comments. I may have some bump-stop questions if anyone has experience. My frame is slightly c-notched so that should help some, but I'm quite nervous about the rub factor on the front fenders. Hopefully this process will continue to suck and someone else can learn how to save money on their project. If I had to pick a catch phrase, it would be something like, if I can't drive it soon I'm just going to throw it away.

2. Your driveshaft may have clearance issues, not sure; and you'll likely have some fun-n-games changing rear wheels. What tires are you planning on running? Bias plys are narrower than radials, I have to deflate mine to get them on and off with just 3" lowering blocks in the back.

Join the shoebox owners forum and do a lot of reading...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/post-shoebox-build-threads-here.908390/

3. Eric H

Eric H

Drive shaft should be fine I think. My convertible is actually on the bump stops in the rear (notch to come) and I have no clearance issues other than the axel rapping the tail pipe when I get on it. I dearched my springs and it dropped like mad, when I lift it up the axle still drops low enough to get the wheels off.

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My driveshaft rubs on dips with 3" blocks...I even raised the tunnel a bit where it really hit. I run 205/70-15 radials on Ford Ranger wheels with a maverick rearend. No fitment issues there. Front is dropped with cut Aerostar springs. Sits good but rides like ass.....

Attached Files:

5. I like watching these 49-51 Ford projects. Makes me feel good. Wish I was 30 again. Best of luck to ya.
    The Wizzard

6. Brentphx

Brentphx

Would you mind linking to or posting a full profile pic? I'd love to see a clearer shot of the side/rear!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. I had clearance issues on the tunnel so i raised it 1 inch.

Attached Files:

Mopar Tony likes this.
  8. Eric H

Eric H

I wonder if 51 vert tunnels have more clearance.

9. yes i believe 51's have more but not certain

10. Slopok

Slopok

Bigger trans hump, first year for automatic Ford & Merc.

11. Convert and Vicky are the same. Yes they are different than 49-50. I do not know by how much. Mine rub's often.
    The Wizzard

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

51 Verts/HT had X member too; not in the way?

13. X member is not an issue.

Eric H likes this.
  14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Best pic I have access to right now.

Attached Files:

spiffy1937 likes this.
  15. Eric H

Eric H

No problem with the X because the tail stock is almost in it.

16. Brentphx

Brentphx

Nice stance... Thx, the visual reference helps.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Flipped spindles, cut coils, 4" blocks and short tires. I had to raise rear of tunnel and I had to remove fresh air tubes at inner fenders. rockybox2.jpg
    Also, heated and dropped steering arms to prevent bump-steer. I cut the bump stops down to about 1/2 inch. Used maverick rear also.

18. U-235

U-235

Surprisingly enough, I have NO issues on my 51 coupe. Lowered 7" in back with 4" dearched springs
    (Jamco) and 3" blocks. No driveshaft rubbing and can get my tires off and on. Cut coils in the front.
    The ride is choppy because of the cut coils (when I was 17, I didn't care). I plan on replacing them with Areostars. I would have expected to have drive shaft and frame probles in the back , but I don't....go figure.

19. Slow 50

Slow 50
    from Dallas, TX

This is what it looks like with:
    2.5" Drop Spindles, 1.0" Drop Springs
    4.0" De-arched Leaf Springs, 1.0" Drop Leaf Spring hangers

I'm going to install a 1" or 2" block in the rear. The rear is 2" higher than the front when measuring the bottom of the rockers to the concrete (~6" high upfront, ~8" high in rear). I'll keep the pics coming upon completion. Thanks

Attached Files:

• dfi.jpg
      dfi.jpg
      File size:
      303.7 KB
      Views:
  20. Slow 50

Slow 50
    from Dallas, TX

21. vwdave30

vwdave30

I think i have the twin to your car i got the same set up on the back here it is before i added a 3 inch block and after

Attached Files:

22. KFC

KFC
    from UK

[​IMG]

4" blocks rear , aerostars and 1/2" block at front, 6.70 15" tyre

Slow 50 and Eric H like this.
  23. Slow 50

Slow 50
    from Dallas, TX

Looks great, I have to get some work done on my frame before I go much lower. I have a really bad notch cut out of the frame, once I get an actual correct notch I can push it more. My floors have already been made to clear the shaft so I'm ok there. Thanks for the pics.

24. Slow 50

Slow 50
    from Dallas, TX

Does anyone know roughly what pinion angle shim I need?! 2,4 or 6 degrees? I'm at a 5" drop in the rear.

25. pointer-1

pointer-1

I am waiting for warmer weather to mount new 9" disc rear end in final position. 4in blocks and serious spring work to get her down low. Moving shock mounts as well. Front is done 4in Jamco suspension (That was fun "not")
    I am never going to get done if I keep changing things on the fly like this.

26. Slow 50

Slow 50
    from Dallas, TX

Before and after of a horrible c-notch, and a beautiful c-notch. I'll try to get some more pictures up soon.

Attached Files:

• m.jpg
      m.jpg
      File size:
      78.8 KB
      Views:
    • n.jpg
      n.jpg
      File size:
      85.1 KB
      Views:
    spiffy1937 likes this.