Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Thanks.
    You haven't missed it yet. I cut a hole in the floor to stick the filler up through now I will make a box with a lid to seal the cap to the outside to keep the fumes from inside of the car.

2. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Wow. Looking great.

3. Thanks. Paint booth lined up for next weekend so a week left to do a little more fine tuning.

firepilot likes this.
  4. I always like when the paint is done, for me that is the worst part. Can't wait to see her done.

5. Thanks Kirt. The paint is a major milestone and definatly puts me on the downward side of the build. I think after paint the end comes into sight witch gives needed inspiration and energy. So far today I have gotten one front fender ready for paint and am going to get the other one and the hood finished also.

6. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, It looks soooo good in bare metal.... It's not too late to change your mind! I'm kidding! Just the same, I hope it goes well in the booth.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Not trying to jinx anything but paint is the scariest part for me. So many great cars get spoiled by the wrong paint and most of the owners don't even know it. Not that you are headed there. It's mostly a street rod thing. :)

8. I agree KB. it was tempting to leave her bare but if I finished her off I would never go back and paint her so it was now or never. Both front fenders and half the hood are prepped for paint so the other half of the hood and then look her over for any flaws is the list of the day.
    I agree in some cases paint dosent fit the build or time line but sometimes being dareing is what sets a car apart in the crowd. (for good or bad)
    She will be very understated and elegant with her solid non metallic maroon.

9. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

Guess i better paint the dash this weekend to see how it is going to look..........

10. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, There are invariably flaws in projects such as ours as well as any other. The key is how well we are able to mask them. I suggest that you like myself has looked at our projects for so long that we fail to see things as well as someone else might. When I was done with all my prep, I had a couple of friends come by and do a mercyless critique of all my prep work. They found about 8 spots that I hadn't noticed. I was thankful for their fresh eyes on the car's few blemishes that only took part of another day to correct. So before you put it in the booth, have a couple of your friends go over the car with their critical eyes, ask them to hold nothing back, they will probably find some things you never saw too! This comment is by no means a criticism of your work as I have seen your coupe in person and was very impressed. I only make this suggestion as it may make the difference between a great and outstanding finish.
    As for mine, Today, I have to make about 6-7 yards of wind lace to finish off my door jams. Unknown territory once again, as the entire interior has been.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

11. I know exactly what you mean. I done one better. About three weeks ago I had Milkweed and Steve come to the shop and go over her and help fix any flaws they found and help with final dry sand before the last prime to be wet sanded. Having a fresh set of eyes is very helpful when you become snow blind. Good luck on finishing your interior. Later Kipp.

12. firepilot and Woogeroo like this.
  13. Ol Six Shooter

Ol Six Shooter

I can't wait to see it painted! I'm sure it will look great in a maroon color.

14. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like the rounded door corners. Nice little detail that is easily over-looked. Look forward to the finished product. Good luck.

15. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Super nice work as usual! Can't wait to see this beauty painted, though it looked outstanding in bare metal. Great work.

16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

17. I can't wait either. It has been a long time coming.
    Thanks Again.
    Thanks. There is a lot of small understated details that most wont notice that will jump out to others. She will be finished by spring if it kill me getting there!

18. Maroon is a very elegant color that fits the time line very well.

19. Saliden

Saliden
    from Wa

I have been following your build and am just as anxious as any to see the car in paint!
    Maroon is also my color of choice for my 36 Roadster!
    Get build! Great work!!
    Cant wait to see it done!
    Saliden

20. Thanks for the compliments. Six days and counting until paint.

21. firepilot likes this.
  22. daddio211

daddio211

Hot damn those are nice! I bought a set of four in similar shape.

23. Looks good Kipp! Who's going to do your upholstery?

24. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Very Very nice job , I would like know wehe do you buy your overdrive , is it the same of Mac's parts ?
    http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_early/mitchell-overdrive-kit-ford.html

25. Those caps fit that car perfectly. Good choice.

26. steeljunkieII

steeljunkieII

Did Milkweed paint the dash yet?

27. If I would have known that I would have mugged yours!
    Thanks. Probably Bill @ Rags to Riches.
    Thanks. She had to have a set. I don't think anything else would work.
    No. He's slacking.

daddio211 likes this.
  28. Thanks. The overdrive I chose is from Gear Vendors in California. The overdrive that Mac's sells is a Mitchell. The Mitchell is intended to go behind a banger so I don't think it would hold up well behind a built flatty and a lead foot.

29. Today I decided that I should try to finish a couple details in the trunk before I go to paint. I finished a couple small patches and then I needed a little more clearance for the thirdmember so I straightened the saging floor an put a couple 1 1/4" channel reinforcements so it would stay in place. Then I took the hump that was about one inch and added about another one and a half inches to it so now the third member will not hit the floor. Now all that is left is to add a box for the filler neck to go inside so I cut a hole and then I mounted the fuel tank so now I am ready to make a box.

firepilot and daddio211 like this.