Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Some 1959 Ford guy is going to be sad.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Dec 31, 2014.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanksgiving910_zpsd347c70f.jpg Thanksgiving907_zpsc364fda9.jpg As I rolled off the scale this morning this was rolling in. Bob

2. ceegrey

ceegrey

Abso-bloody-lutely true better to doing than standing and looking

3. clem

clem

They're just messing with you. - no one would crush a car like that !

4. Oooh, a rare color too, salmon.
    Should be saved.

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Sadly a lot of guys like me are in the same boat of,
    " I wish someone would save it but it aint gonna be me"
    I saw a complete running driving , but no title, 4 door 59 on CL near me, for 900 then droped to 700 awhile back, with no takers for a long time.
    I thought about it but I didnt want to jump through all the hoops of getting a title etc.etc. only to later lose interest in a few months and try to sell it for "maybe"a few hundred more than what I gave for it.

6. Does anyone know how many '59 Retractables were produced? Just curious.

7. holy crap thats a cool car, love the windshield wrap around

8. 12, 915. So it's not an extremely rare car. And given the number of parts missing and the rust present, not a good candidate for 'saving'. Looks like it was stripped for parts already (so one or more did get saved), although they left some good bits still on it, like the 9" rear and the grill.

9. Looks like any part I could use is already gone... into the compactor!

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

As soon as I posted those photos I thought of the 9" rear! Just called and they are closed. First phone call Friday will get my answer. I saw it placed on the pile, don't know what is on top now. It was a stripped parts car from a guy restoring a better one. Bob

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Not many and I don't think that many of the not many had roofs that actually worked. :D

Still I would like to have one to play with.

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would have also kept the roller tires and wheels,2 door bench seat that may work in something else and maybe the white steering wheel if only for a wall hanger

lothiandon1940 and Phillips like this.
  13. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

If it sat outside for any period its probly a tad soft in the middle but good parts for sure.I see two couches anyway.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

The rollback driver said the car was in a flood at some time. Kicking myself for not looking at the condition of the rear axle. Bob

15. sad.....doesn't look that bad rust wise....ditto on the color.....

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

who wants a 59?????

:)

bobss396 likes this.
  17. If it was in a flood the rear end isn't any good. water got in there the bearing will be rusted ect. Ive owned several 59 fords. Junked all but one. It was a running driving ranchero with a good title in my name. Drove it a few years finally sold it for $1500 dollars. Its not that big of deal to see I that retractible recycled.

18. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it even certain the car has a 9"? Do not know 59s very well but in 57-58 only the wagon and Ranchero for sure had a 9".

19. studebaker46

studebaker46

of the 12915 produced how many actually worked. when I was a kid a guy down the street came home from the army and bought a brand new one and his was constantly 1/2 up 0r 1/2 down. turned out there was something wrong with solenoids

20. Everything Ford built starting '57 had the 9" with the exception of 3/4 ton and larger trucks. The wagon/Ranchero featured the large-axle-bearing version as standard (same as 1/2 ton trucks), most all the rest had the small bearing version. Ford used a small Dana-type starting in '60 for the compact Falcon/Comet, and introduced the 8" in '62 in the new mid-sized Fairlane/Meteor.

The retractables, being the heaviest of the '57-59 cars, may also have been fitted with the large-bearing rear. Police/taxi optioned cars may have also got the big-bearing rear.

21. I once owned a 57 retractible. The top was up. I never was able to get it working. in 1976 I sold it for $225.00

22. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Again not speaking for 59s, why I asked the question, having owned several 57-58 Fords and working on many, 9" rear ends absolutely were not in all non wagon/Rancheros, in fact many if not most did NOT have a 9". At one point we tried to determine which others did come with them and never were able to draw a conclusion other than if the car was an overdrive it was most likely one to have a 9" under it. Maybe being heavier more of the retractable had them, do not know.

23. Zerk

Zerk

What did your cars have, the earlier Dana 44 rear like '55-'56?

24. My '59 came with OD and has the 9" rear with the 2.375" axle bearings. The bigger one was 2.50".

25. I have owned, driven, and parted SEVERAL 57-59 Fords and EVERY one of them had a 9" under them. As stated earlier the wagons/rancheros were bigger bearing rears, the rest being the standard smaller bearing 28 spline rears. Im not certain of it but the bigger bearing rears may have been more common in the Mercury and big series Edsels. I had a 58 Merc Turnpike Cruiser hardtop with one in it. Also had a 58 Fairlane 500 with the police interceptor 352 and factory air suspension that had a big bearing rear in it.

26. Yeah, I've never seen a '57-59 Ford that didn't have a 9".... even the six cylinder models.

27. 327Eric

327Eric

I have owned four 57's,five 59's, and a 59 Edsel, and have parted several others, and knew a guy who owned EVERY model 57 built, with every engine combo. Getting my 57 Ranchero rearend from him was like pulling hensteeth, but along the way we looked at his stash. Every one was a 9 inch. Six, y block, Fe, stick, auto, didn't matter. Sad to see it go, but it looks like it was stripped to save another, and whats left probably isn't worth the effort to try and sell. Speaking from experience, 59 Ford parts don't bring much money, aside from the 9 inch.

28. Dad had a retractable and probably would've smashed that fucker too on a lot of occasions. It's the car that made him a Chevy man.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. RmK57

RmK57

Besides the Merc and big series Edsel having the larger axle bearing they also had the less desirable bigger wheel bolt pattern.