Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pope RPU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cornfieldcustoms, Dec 25, 2014.

1. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

a small update, over the past week a few little things have been buttoned up. got the inside of the cab painted black

[​IMG]

he didnt want to fill the spare tire well, so i made an aluminum louvered panel that is hinged. we are going to mount a small jack and tire iron in the well. and the cover looks neat

[​IMG]

started getting the hood trimmed and fit properly. still needs more fine tuning.

[​IMG]

and made him a custom 1930 aluminum license plate to go with all the other aluminum on the truck

[​IMG]

kiwijeff and AHotRod like this.
  2. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

also here is the new 2015 shop shirt logo that has the truck on it. the artwork was done by the Root Bros.
    [​IMG]

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Aside from your vision and talent, you must have an extensive metal working tool inventory.
    How to you figure out how to make a grill shell or hood with built in hinges from scratch?
    What gauge of steel or aluminum are you using?

4. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

to be honest i just have to sit around and figure out how to make them. its a lot of thinking and screwing stuff up. to do the hinges is really pretty simple. i lay out the hinge pattern or spacing. trim out the pieces that will be on the second piece. use the sheet metal break to start the hinge. then clamp in a piece of round stock slightly bigger than the hinge pin i will be using. then hammer and dolly the sheet metal around the pin. and your done. to figure out how much metal to leave for the hinge you just find the circumference of the pin. i trim father back 2x the material thickness to allow for clearance. that was a big trial and error process figuring out all the little things. especially when you roll a hidden hinge with a body line on it , like the hood sides on this truck.

figuring out the grill shell, i took a stocker and made paper patterns of the shell. and checked the radius' and wrote them down. then just made one piece at a time until i started to come together.

i have a good amount of equipment but the same things can be done with much less. i am just a tool/ equipment junkie lol.

usually on material for steel i use 18 gauge cold roll unless i am matching an original part. and aluminum i prefer to use .063 3003-14 aluminum. it is very easy to work with and shapes well

bct and AHotRod like this.
  5. lucky ink

lucky ink

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Shoot ..... I'd be tickled to sit in the corner with my coffee and just watch ya ..... but after about 15 minutes, I'd be in your way wanting to try it myself.

Can a Bead Roller be used to make those louvers on the hood sides with a special or hand made mandrel?

7. great workmanship, will be a fun car, admire the craftsmanship.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

8. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

thanks guys

come by some time if you are up this way.

i have never had much luck using a bead roller to do long louvers. i used a reciprocating hammer with custom dies.

9. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

10. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

worked on buttoning up more small stuff today. its getting closer to being 100% all mocked up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

not bad for a white boy

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. AHotRod

AHotRod

That is a very cool truck, one of the Best I've seen, .......... it's got Style !
    Glenn

13. bmita

bmita

to those of you close by, stop in, watch mike at work. its worth the trip.

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Wow. Very impressive. Unbelievable craftsmanship.

15. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

BITCHIN !!!! Chris

16. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

17. David Chandler

David Chandler

I am impressed with the detail you showed in reversing the fire wall and mating it to the floor. Well done Sir!

18. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

thanks man. hope to have it complete mock up stage saturday evening. buttoning up all the little things.

19. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Looks real good Mike!

20. Looks Great
    Stance is awesome

21. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

outstanding work there, kid

22. Wow that's neat.
    You even bare metalled the licence plate. :cool:

23. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

thanks everyone

i hand made the license plate out of aluminum, didnt want to paint it or it would look like any other plate

24. Now your showing off, haha. :)
    Very cool, and I thought it looked new.
    One day I may ask you to make me one.

25. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

got all the little lose ends tied up on this one. so it is now in full mock up. rolled it out side for some good pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wingnutz and volvobrynk like this.
  26. Since the cab is lengthened, I would have liked to see the bed a bit shorter. But that's just me. I've always been hung up on a car's proportions. Never the less, it's a killer piece of work, and will make an outstanding hot rod!

27. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That's beautiful!! There is no better word for it.

Your built can go head to head with Dean Lowe RPU, because that's the two best looking RPU I've ever seen.

You do great work, and has some good ideas. The Alu parts, the belly pan and the amount of rake in the windshield! Be a u ti ful l ! ! !

On a different note steering wheel is that only mock up?

What color will you run?

Edit
    How odd that the Dean Lowe post when I type! Cool

28. Crazy nice!, been watching on IG too.

29. Enjoy seeing this being built by Young Craftsmen! Gives me hope about the future of Hot Rodding.

30. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

thanks, the model T bed we built is 3.5 inches shorter than a stock a bed. so we only stretched the wheel base about 3 inches to keep the proportions closer, instead of the usual 6-7 inches of stretched wheel base, or 6-7 inches taken off the front of the bed.

thanks
    we are running the stock a model steering wheel in the truck. it is going to stay in bare metal. planning om coating in a product called shark skin, it is a bare metal protectant that is supposed to be good for out door use

thanks

thanks

volvobrynk likes this.