Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest God Speed, Ed Bing...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

God Speed, Ed Bing...

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. elgringo71

elgringo71

I hate to hear the news, he will definately be missed. He some how stuck with the flathead after everyone else went to the V8 and was able to make them run very strong. He must have had many flathead performance tricks. bing-2-187x187.jpg bing-1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  3. birdman1

birdman1

sad he is gone. Flathead builders(like me) are getting hard to find.
    RIP

4. A Duece Bruce

A Duece Bruce

Very sad to read this. Had the absolute pleasure of building a hotrod at Vern's shop a few years ago. Ed was there sometimes, working his magic on flatheads with Vern. I'd heard about him since I was a kid, from Mel Dickson, another flathead master I grew up with. He told my brother Paul and I about Ed and how his flattie would whip 327's, back in the day. We were so impressed that to this day we still love this old iron. I was very privileged to have been around and watched Ed and Vern do what they love. They were like father and son. Sweet wonderful guy. I'm sad today for all of us flathead nuts. A legend lost! Thank you Ed, good job. Rest in Peace Brother.

5. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Honorable man , we could use more young men with character .....RIP

6. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

May He rest in peace. Thankful he had the patience and fortitude to pass his knowledge on .

7. At the tracks in Nor Cal they used to say that he was a leaver. The man had a helluva hole shot, and he was on his way to the big end before most folks even got out of the gate.

Another good man has left us. RIP

wingnutz likes this.
  8. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Ah man..........Godspeed.

I can say that I shook his hand at the salt & told him how great it was to finally meet him and he was very soft spoken and said "Thanks".

Chris

9. autobilly

autobilly

10. Damn! This makes me appreciate my "Bings speed shop/Crower cams" T-shirt that much more.

11. Ed Bingnelli could absolutely make a flatmotor FLY! Hot Rod mag did a story on his Willys that was running mid 12's at 105 mph in 1962; I have the issue and frequently look thru it in amazement.He did all this with a 39 ford trans(probably 2 & 3 gears only for 1 gear change and a quick change running 3-78 gears(reportedly). He reportedly ran the Isky 404 cam in the retarded position for a few more mph on the big end.He filled the intake ports with lead(in the article) and spent 80 hours reshaping the ports.The Willys was a real terror on the drag strip because Ed was a great innovator.RIP Ed,I would have loved to have picked your brain!

Fly'n Kolors and stillrunners like this.
  12. titus

titus

13. titus

titus

heres a pic my buddy Eric (thirtytwo) had taken of him at bonneville a few years back, he had Ed build a flathead for one of his cars.

10898240_10204735562501794_8076929644935575777_n.jpg

14. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

RIP ....
    Too sad

15. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

RIP I am sure he will still be wrenching up there

16. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Rip Bing

Another reminder for me (and us all) to spend more time with our older folks...and cherish that time.

17. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I don't have much "stuff" that I really care about but this motor is one ... The color doesn't pass with the traditional police but its "bing blue" for a reason and that means a lot to me...

Iike most of his generation... Ed was a do-er,not a bullshitter.. he lived a pretty full life, ....I feel blessed to have known Ed , my grandfathers and others from that generation, I think it's sad the kids of today and tomorrow won't have that ability

Attached Files:

sodbuster and Louie like this.
  18. I bet he went to Heaven on a Flathead powered cloud and surprised God on how fast he got there!

Great Legacy!

19. R.I.P. Bing...

20. flamingokid

flamingokid

21. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Rest in peace. Strength to friends and family.

22. thirtytwo

thirtytwo