Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest SHOP OWNERS, How do you get workers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket's Hot Rod Garage, Dec 9, 2014.

1. My day job is a different line of work entirely, but I do manage empolyees, including finding and hiring etc.
    I think the suggestions that were made above about checking with trade schools is a viable one- if you can deal with someone that still needs some training. I've tried the Worksource and various unemployment placement places and have not been successful at all. Also, I think that social media could be utilized but you may need to pay for a targeted ad on facebook.. I've seen your ad on craigslist and nothing jumps out that is wrong with it, just not reaching the folks you need. Good luck and if I think of someone that may work I'll send them your way- Greg

2. indyjps

indyjps

Rockets, I see 3 options.
    Hire a young pup outta trade school and expect to spend time with them, they'll require frequent raises or they will jump as soon as they get a year on the resume, discuss their plans and goals with them and try to keep them on.
    Actively recruit sharp talent from another shop, if your building hot rods you have the opportunity to shark good employees from shops that are doing late model stuff, you'll need to have enough steady interesting work to keep them there.
    Hire a journeyman "reliable old guy", doesn't work fast, but he can go all day without guidance. Sometimes it's difficult to let these guys alone to operate, they usually won't tolerate much oversight or bs, again it'll cost ya.

3. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

Yup, I can't see giving up a good paying job for a non paying dream job!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

slammed and gimpyshotrods like this.
  4. Kicking around this idea myself.

5. Thanks for the input everyone. I haven't tried the social media outlet yet so I like that idea.

In my area I think work source or the like would be asking for trouble.

I've talked to tech schools in the past but not this go around yet. I think that's my next move. I'd rather not have to do much training but I was there once too so if the right guy with the right attitude shows I'd be up for that.

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  6. Trust me I'd put up a sign if I wasn't way out in the boonies where no one well ever see it. I did hire a guy once through a flyer at one of my vendors though.

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

8. rexrogers

rexrogers

One of the best guys we have came out of the local high that was 8 years ago or better, 3 guys are from the tec schools, and one a gm mechanic that wanted to get out. It takes awhile to build a good and keep them but it is worth the investment.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  9. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

When you do find someone (if they have experience...old-timers especially), see if they want to sub-contract for you. You pay 'em more on the front end but they are responsible for their own insurance, taxes, FUBARs etc.. You may/may not charge them extra for use of shop equipment and consumables. It can work out well for both parties.

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You're a small shop in a small town. Logistically, it has to worthwhile for someone to commute (ie; 30-60 minutes each way) to the shop. It could work in your favor if you're lucky enough to find a fit of a qualified local. Also consider hiring two part-time individuals instead of one full timer with the long term goal of bringing one or both of them up to full time if the workload increases AND they are a good fit for the shop. A part timer could be a retired wrench or or a tradesman such as paint/body man looking to moonlight.
    I'd first look internally. Do your current ee's have friends in the trade that could be brought in from another shop?

11. prpmmp

prpmmp

So what is the average going rate in your area!! (OP) Pete

12. Thanks, I think our biggest issue is our location. We're in a small town area with just not allot of qualified people to choose from. There also isn't vary much competition to steal from. All other shops (can count on one hand) are about my size or even smaller with sometimes just one other guy besides the owner (like us right now). The 2 guys that have worked for me had/have been with me now for over 5 years. One left to be closer to home etc. in Sept. so now just trying to fill those shoes.

13. Update: I've done most of the idea's given. Social media, contacted tech schools, posted other places, talked to local businesses & have been just trying to spread the word in general. I've had no luck what so ever. 2 no shows for interviews, a few guys who seem real excited then just stop contacting me etc. It's been rough and we're just getting more behind in the shop. Hoping it was just a holiday season funk or something.

14. nelson845

nelson845
    from Sewaren,NJ

.....a newspaper? LOL

15. Yes Mr Nelson,,Texans still know how to read..

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found this to be the case, after had to shut down my shop. I paid my lead fabricator $40/hr. and 5% profit share.

The next places we both looked were offering $15/hr.

I left the business. He opened his own shop.

Here's the bottom line:

If you are not willing to pay your employees a better-than-average middle-class wage, you should not expect to have employees, or a business.

If you business model requies that you pay less than that, you don't have a business model, you have an exploitation model.

Google what the median household income is, in your locale. Compare that to what you are planning on paying.

If that median income is lower than from where you expect to draw your talent, you may have to pay even more, especially if it will require relocation.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    doliak, slammed, BarryA and 3 others like this.
  17. carmuts

carmuts

If you were alot closer I would be interested in working Tuesday through Friday. Sat through Monday I already have a job for those days that pays me enough per hour it would be hard to walk away from. Rod

18. Gimpy
    Good advice.

19. That was fun. It look's like it's just over 20K a year. Not much. I know I pay more than that. The trick is even finding someone halfway qualified.

20. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

By my Math skills, Gimpy was paying $1600 per week, and that works out to 80 K A YEAR, PLUS PROFIT SHARING. The Bay Area pays alot, but living in that area is very expensive. I passed an offer up over 20 years ago for just that reason. All of us seem to be having these kinds of issues. I am way behind as well, about a year out as far as booking work goes. As a one man Shop, I work too many hours, charge out too few, and that is just the way things are. As for a Business Model...You also have to take into consideration what people want from you and what they are willing to pay. There is a middle ground, but it shifts constantly....

21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

My best and last employee was a homeless man who was a old motorcycle mechanic. I offered to help him and he ended up working for me for 10 years. His talents and willingness to learn made him a most valuable employee. Reliable and trustworthy. I lived in the boonies at the time so help was scarce.

22. There is nothing wrong with investing in qualified people. They are taking a risk that the business will be profitable, and have the ability to offer health insurance which is killing most small businesses these days. The cost of living on the west coast is always higher than in the rest of the country. $40 an hour might seem high to us midwesterners, but EVERYTHING costs more there. If you think the west coast is expensive, you should look into what cost of living is in Hawaii! I think someone with qualified experience would be in the $25-$30 an hour in the midwest, due to the cost of living difference.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I should have qualified for those outside of this area, that this was in the San Francisco Bay Area. Things are often over DOUBLE the expense here.

The median individual (not household) income in my neighborhood is $155,000/yr., compare that to the $80k+ I was paying my lead.

It ain't cheap here, hence the pay. That is why I urge you to Google the average wages in your own home area, and index on that.

Take a look here: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp
    or: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

You may have to put in the next largest metro area.

$15/hr is minimum wage in some counties here.

25. Special Ed

Special Ed

I couldn't disagree more. Everything is relative. When you don't use heat or a/c (When I lived in Hawaii, the home I owned didn't even have either one, or a fireplace!), don't require shoes, or coats, or toll roads, or .... whatever, you need less $. I've lived in southern California and Hawaii for over 60 years. I can grow my own fresh fruit and vegetables year-round. Gas prices? Okay, they're higher in Hawaii, but you can drive completely around any entire island in a day! How much gas can you possibly use? EVERYTHING is relative, my friend. I earn less money than anyone you know.

26. I was comparing everyday costs of items vs. the mainland. You've might have figured a way to walk a thin line on your personal expenses, but the average person is not going to do that because it would take energy and forethought which the world is in short supply this day and age. I applaud your resourcefulness it's just not a common occurrence in society. I've never lived in Hawaii but I've shipped items to Hawaiians and that seems to be always what they complain about. What's the average home cost in Hawaii?, how much do shoes, clothes, food (bought, not grown) cost?. You are right, everything IS relative.

slammed likes this.
  27. carmuts

carmuts

When I was looking for a job a couple of years ago, I always found it frustrating that perspective employers would not advertise atleast a pay range for jobs. Some jobs that I thought would be a good fit for me turns out they only wanted to pay $10-$12 per hour. The jobs themselves were technical in nature that most people who did the same things elsewhere in the area were paying their guys $20 plus. Needless to say applying for them was a waste of time and I turned down a couple of them. Rod

28. Jar-head

Jar-head
    from Maryland

New member chiming in;
    Reading through the posts, I find a plethora of great advice. With the assumption that "two heads are better than one" I proffer; I am a tradesman that started as a "part time" guy. I was fortunate to be discovered by a guy who in my opinion is the finest mechanic, restorer and fabricator I have had the pleasure to work with. He recognized some "raw talent," more over, he knew that I would follow direction, orders and had the ability to learn on the job as well as in a "classroom" setting.

Ironically it was my "uniformed" vocation that initially started the relationship. Talent comes from many places; in my case not so obvious. I was in my twenties, but wisdom from experiences that most fellows my age did not have. He saw that and capitalized on it. In the end, he did me a favor. The learning curve went beyond that of being technically proficient. There were lessons in management; parts, service orders and most importantly customers.

The key ingredient was my desire to learn more. He always said that by the time I send you for any certifications, you will have mastered that process. There are no secrets. If it was easy anyone could do it. The dilemma faced is one every industry faces today; work ethics and ethics in general in the workplace.

There is always going to be some turnover, but it can be minimized with not only a solid business plan, but a mission, chain of command and attention to detail. I have no axe to grind with any of the big schools that advertise on all of the car shows, but I just replaced a "young guy" that came from one of these places. Bright kid that did not realize the fact that school is just that; basic training. Everyone has to make their "bones" and if you are not willing to pull your weight and know your place then maybe the trades aren't your place. He went back to college as he did not realize the labor intensity of the trades...If it was easy anyone could do it...

BarryA likes this.
  29. Boatmark

Boatmark

I didn't have the constraints of a small town, but my best shop employees came from either recommendations of my current guys, or from my vendor reps. The reps are in and out of everyone's shops, and they know where the best guys are, and who is unhappy and ready to make a move.

30. School Name Campus Highest Award Enrolled
    Bates Technical College Tacoma Associate 5,463
    Bellingham Technical College Bellingham Associate 2,896
    Big Bend Community College Moses Lake Associate 1,893
    Clark College Vancouver Associate 9,705
    Clover Park Technical College Lakewood Associate 9,829
    Columbia Basin College Pasco Associate 6,393
    Grays Harbor College Aberdeen Associate 2,050
    Green River Community College Auburn Associate 6,919
    Lake Washington Technical College Kirkland Associate 3,996
    Lower Columbia College Longview Associate 3,348
    Olympic College Bremerton Bachelor 6,623