Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Model a tudor build first build ever

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mechman_22, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

well I have been on here for a little while seeing everyone's threads a drooling, well now I finally get to start one of my own, I was able to locate a 30 Model A Tudor that wasn't too far. so after driving couple hours to check out the car to make sure it was what I wanted. After all that and a deal was made. I was short on time with something coming up and afraid that someone would try to buy it out from under me if giving the chance. So I went and picked her up and brought her back home. Have a member (Moparob) from here that's local and willing to take me under his wing and let me pick his brain and offered help. Well here well start this off with couple pics of first time seeing her and then the move
    Couple pics from when I first when to check out the car
    46.jpg 48.jpg 39.jpg 27.jpg 26.jpg 24.jpg
    Then the move and not getting home safe in the garage until 130am
    20.jpg 25.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  2. grim1930

grim1930
    from Norfolk UK

good luck with the build, I am on my first build as well a 30 pickup, you will learn a lot in a short time from the people on here.

3. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

always look forward to learning just glad got someone local thats willing to help

4. oldsman41

oldsman41

wow newbie. having someone to show you the way will save you a lot of time and money. have a good time and keep us posted.

5. mike bowling

mike bowling

Congratulations- Hot Rodding a Model A will make you a happy camper.Cool that you have a guide to help you .Pictures are mandatory of course. Good Luck with it.

6. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Congrats, looks relatively complete. What are the plans for your build?

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Doesn't look like a bad start at all. Seen way worse turned into nice rides.

8. I'm really excited by the new guys here .......starting their first build. A model A tudor is the perfect "first hotrod" build. Congrats and even with the wealth of knowledge here, Mike Bishop's "How To Build A Traditional Hotrod" is a wonderful book to shine a light on one way to build a great hotrod.

9. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

From the style i have been looking at and thinking of building i might have put this one in the wrong section. Up im still up in the air.

10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I think I'll cry a little if you don't build it in a style worthy of this section. Besides what other style is there? None that get's my attention like your fine Tudor has so far. Good luck Great car.

11. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

Looking something around this,

Attached Files:

12. nelson845

nelson845
    from Sewaren,NJ

I'll tell you one thing. Build it for your self and not to please any forum or forum members. You will end up happier. BTW..nice score.

Jade, keith27T and Markmonty like this.
  13. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

Would this be traditional custom?

14. donnie

donnie
    from NC

15. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

So then those would be considered traditional ? Noob question i know but i want to get termanolgy down lol

16. Here's a couple of great examples of Model A's done right in my opinion:

@tudorfritz :
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tudorfritz-slowly-builds-a-model-a-build-thread.429076

@mctim64 :
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/338ci-y-block-wrapped-up-in-30-model-a-tudor.667198/

Asking questions isn't bad by any means, when I first got on here I was much in the same boat as you in terms of nailing down the definition of "traditional." Not only are the pictures you posted not strictly "traditional," there's a lot involved in a build like one of those that would be out of the realm of most beginners' knowledge. There's a wealth of knowledge on here, just keep your eyes open!

tudorfritz likes this.
  17. Thanks for the kind words on my build. The thread completely disappeared with the format change although it is back now it seems most of the pictures are gone. You can see what is missing here. http://yblockguy.com/projects/Tudor/Tudor.html
    Good luck with your car, you have a good car to start with. Cheers!

bengeltiger likes this.
  18. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

having trouble with trying to figure out what engine and trans to go with, buddy help locate me a ford 9in. i really wana run a manual trans, also trying to figure out with how big i am how much chop and channel will still leave me with riding comfort. 6'4" 250lbs so im not the smallest.

19. There's a good chance being that tall, you won't be able to do anything like what you posted above. I'd say if you want to channel it, just channel it over the frame and once you get that done (including the new floor subframe and any frame modifications) see how you fit and how much room to chop it.

Or, you could go the route many others have and just chop it without channeling it. It's a matter of personal preference, balanced with practicality. If you're planning to drive this thing a lot, then I'd stay away from anything radical, especially being 6 foot 4.

Engine-wise, you've got lots of options. Do you have a preference for make/model? If not, a small-block Chevy is the most-often used choice, and parts are cheap and widely available. It's also quasi-traditional, having been introduced in 1955. The Ford flathead is also a popular and even more traditional choice, and you can't beat the sound. Many guys are also happy with early Hemis. The T-5 manual transmission is a popular choice for flatheads and small-block Chevys, not sure what guys use with Hemis. Just remember that you WILL have to do something to fit any V-8 in there, whether it's using a lengthened frame ($$) or a recessed firewall (which will further intrude onto interior space). There's a balance to it.

20. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

I'll cry too. You have a complete original car there, with what you wanna build all you're gonna use is the body. Maybe the radiator shell. Just buy someone's already chopped sedan body off Craig's and sell that 30 to someone who'll use the whole thing

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

keith27T likes this.
  21. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Plus, how the hell are you (6'4" 250) gonna get into and out of a squashed clown car like that?

I vote late 50's street rod. Like a Hot Rod or Rod & Custom magazine feature from 1959. At least then you'll be able to get into and out of the thing.

keith27T likes this.
  22. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

Hell i drive acura integra as a daily driver figured it cant be much different lol my head almost hits the roof

23. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

Well hopefully this weekend ill pick up the ford 9in, get the old rotted wood taking out and all the glass

24. missysdad1

missysdad1

The people who are advising you against building a car along the lines of the example you chose are doing you a favor. They have the experience in the hot rod hobby to know what a beginner is capable of building - AND WHAT ULTIMATELY HAPPENS TO MOST OF THESE GROTESQUE AND ILL-ENGINEERED PROJECTS! That's right, they end up as a pile of f***ed up parts on Craig's List that nobody will buy.

Those who support and even encourage your "clown car" project are doing you no favors at all. They simply like to hear themselves talk.

Do yourself a really big favor and check the background of those who post opinions and advice on your build thread, and listen to only those who have built a respectable amount of H.A.M.B. credibility. The others probably don't have any more experience or knowledge than you do.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  25. Welcome from MN and good luck on your first build, you picked a good one!!

26. oldsman41

oldsman41

right or wrong you will build or try to build what you want. I think what you see in the pics are what you want and for the first build I think its very aggressive. think about this go to car shows talk to guys there with same type cars. ask if they feel the cut to much off the top. take your time.

27. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

See if the same guys you talk to will let you sit behind the wheel to see how a larger framed guy that you are will fit.

28. Good advice all the way around and I would highly recommend following most of it, especially when you read what others post. Do your self a favor and see what the've built and decide for your self if there full of shit or a credible source. ... Doesn't matter what engine you drop in (as long as it's a Hemi or Wedge MoPar, my personal opinion) if it works with the overall 'look' you are after. Flatty, Cheby, Hemi, Buick Nailhead it's your build and yours alone brother so build it how you see fit, just remember to take your time, ask lots of questions and sack up & seek help when your lost. Don't let pride ruin your project!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420147157.357889.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420147202.115964.jpg

29. frosty-49

frosty-49

Great start. Just THINK THINK THINK before you start Good Luck

30. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

Moparob,

Your car is amazing!