Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Sports Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ghornbostel, Dec 27, 2014.

1. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

tr3 engine 031.jpg loovers 004.jpg tr3 engine 029.jpg OK I'm talking 1950's sports cars that have been modified enough to get the purist unhappy. Mine is a 1957 TR3 Triumph with a 231 Buick V6, Saganaw 4 speed and 10 bolt rear end. It looks stock enough that the purists walk up to it and start talking this and that about TR3s and then want to see the engine. WELL THATS NOT STOCK. Anyway I know you're out there and I know they're one of them little sporty cars but its what we have.

Greg

2. fms427

fms427

How about a Woodill Wildfire with a nailhead....... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419699266.908102.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419699290.126522.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Well,it is cool and well done,I bet it's a blast to drive. HRP

dana barlow, Deuces and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Greg: Take one of them purist's for a ride and He may change his mind, or his drawers.

5. All 3 are just too cool.Often wish we would have kept our 54 MGA and 51 TD.

6. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Thats the car most TR purists wish they owned, a couple of years ago I was trying to buy a TR with of all things a GMC inline six, it was well done, some Swedes beat me to it. This type hot rod is not lost on Europeans, they want them, especially the Brits. I really like seeing a well done restoration or 100 point car at a car show, but I have no desire to own one.Like any true car guy I want a hot rod anything.

7. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

The Woodill is just great. There have been a few laundry bills attached to "the ride" and a few uncomfortable moments for hot Chevys and Fords that would blow the doors off that TR3. I've had the car for 39 years in stock, modified stock and Buick powered and it has been a hoot in all 3 versions. The motor is now 10:1 compression, .060 over, stage 3 Crower cam w/solid lifters and Jim Inglese IDA 3c weber induction hooked up to a aluminum flywheel and a centerforce clutch. It has no problem breaking traction with the 2.9 ten bolt and gets 24 mpg on the highway if you can keep your foot out of it.. Keep em coming
    Greg

Flynn's_57, Deuces, Moondog13 and 3 others like this.
  8. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Bitchen car!!

Deuces likes this.
  9. dave plmley

dave plmley

I built this Corvette 350 powered TD a few years ago, also had the Vette IFS and IRS suspensions, was a 300hp slot car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. That's a cool little car. Opening a hood and seeing stack injection is quite a surprise. I'm really starting to appreciate early sports cars that had American engines transplanted. That was quite a craze in the 50's and really into the 70's.

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I once had a 1954 Austin Healey that was modified in the mid-60s to have a full race 289 cobra spec'd two four barreled engine with Ford 4 spd rock crusher and a narrowed chevelle 12 bolt rearend with Strange axles. I traded it for a chopped 36 3 window coupe in 1984 and lost track of the healey. Have spent the last dozen years trying to find it! Last report it was in FL. Anybody got any leads or ever seen such a beast?
    I heard a later owner tried to modify the front to look more like a Cobra but didn't pull it off very well.
    Any help would be greatly ($$) appreciated!
    Thanks, Al

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  12. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Max Balchowsky built several Dorettis with nail valve Buick engines. I think they were made after the '32 roadster and before the series of Old Yellers.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

This is my 1963 Austin-Healey 3000:

[​IMG]

With a Ford 5.0L dressed as a 289 HiPo. dynoed at 345 hp at the crank and backed by a Ford T5Z:

[​IMG]

Here's what it sounds like:

flynbrian48, winr, rob-redm and 23 others like this.
  14. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Rick, The roads in your video remind me of Cape Ann where my son and daughter-in-law lived for awhile. Bought back good memories. The TR3 will end up out there someday.

Greg

15. When these "purists" start to get snooty, ask them if they've ever heard of Carrol Shelby. LBCs w/BFEs are lots of fun! LBC= little British cars, BFEs= big funky(?) engines

16. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

1957 MGA with a 283/PG combo. Been stored in barns & trailers for a few decades before I got it. Not a bad bit of "home brewed" engineering in how the builder(s) put the thing together.
    Hope to put it back on the road this spring.

Still looking for some history on the little bugger, as it was supposedly built in MI in the 60's.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alfin32, bonesy, Deuces and 9 others like this.
  17. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I love those old British sports cars, especially with some added guts. Here's a few I've seen that might make some jse_IMG_1368.jpg jse_IMG_1369.jpg jse_IMG_1400.jpg jse_IMG_1591.jpg jse_IMG_1705.jpg jse_IMG_2490.jpg purists cringe...

duecesteve, WC145, Baron and 15 others like this.
  18. I LIKE THIS THREAD. DON'T STOP.

Ben

duecesteve and 1927graham like this.
  19. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Here's mine, same car in avitar only 50 yrs later

Pat

Attached Files:

Baron, Flynn's_57, D-Russ and 8 others like this.
  20. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Posies jaguar

Attached Files:

duecesteve, toolz, D-Russ and 4 others like this.
  21. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Greg,

You're correct. The drive is along Argilla Road leading to Crane Beach in Ipswich, MA.

22. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I spotted this Austin-Healey 100 cruising around Redondo Beach about ten years ago. I stopped and chatted with the guy. Real nice fellow, but I didn't get any other info. Obviously powered by a Paxton-supercharged small block Ford.

Attached Files:

23. Special Ed

Special Ed

Well, I saw that bitchin' Wildfire posted in here, so American sports cars must be okay ... :)
    1953 Muntz Jet with fuel-injected 'vette motivation. Yeah, the purist's seem to scoff at it.
    jet.jpg

24. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Ed, I want to go over the heading again Hot Rod Sports Cars. Nothing was said about country of origin... you're ok. 29tnt's 911 is pushing the date a little but we should let it slide because when this guy shows up around a bunch of 911s he must really feel alone and egnored much like me when I show up at a hot rod event with my TR3. Did a little edit here as some of the original post got lost in the process. Didn't want anyone thinking that this was only for British stuff but really wanted it to be kept 1960 or earlier.
    Greg

hugh m likes this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have a MGA just waiting for the ax.
    I was thinking one of the 3.8 supercharged V6 with a 5 speed.

26. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I love these cars, there were a bunch around when I was a kid...and the snobs hate em too, that even makes them better!

Atwater Mike likes this.
  27. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Awesome thread! Some killer cars here.

28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419890879.843495.jpg

I know this is borderline, but Volvo Gasser with a Rover 215 and 5 speed.
    2380 lb, 190hp and 14.4 @ 150 km. 92ish miles Trap speed.

Is that hot enough? So weird its cool. So little Volvo, so much rod.

29. I like this TR3. They've always been a favorite of mine.
    My Dad had a red '56 he bought new. Dad & Mom did it all with that car. Auto crossed it, took it on rallies, even did Hill Climbs in it at Mount Washington and various event as far away as Virginia, Pennsylvania, and all over Northern New England.
    It was always kept immaculate.
    As the family grew he was forced to replace it with a 1958 Sunbeam Rapier convertible with a back seat.
    5 kids by then.
    In went a roll bar, better tires and shocks and back on the circuit that one went too.
    Mom and he collected a room full of trophies with those little cars.

WC145 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

The Volvo is in. Most Americans call a Mustang a sports car and it has a back seat but we are probably going to have to draw the line at 2 doors. Those who want to go outside of these confines can start another thread.
    Greg

65pacecar and volvobrynk like this.