Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bench seat options for 52 F1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Villadog, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Villadog

Villadog

Hi guys and gals,
    I'm working on a 52 f1 and decided I would like to go with the bench style seat. It sits three and it kind of keeps the old school charm. Please send any pics of your f1 interiors. What is a good seat to fit in my f1? My gas tank is relocated to rear. What truck or car can I get a good donor seat from. Headrest is ok but not necessary.

Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

My experience is nothing works as well as the stock seat. Any other seat, bench or bucket, is going to sit farther forward. If you are any taller than a fire plug, you won't have enough leg room. Old pickups don't have much room to begin with.

Taking out the gas tank won't make any difference. They are shaped to fit behind the seat and not use up any room.

If I was in your position I would try to find a stock seat. If that is impossible maybe one from a newer truck will work. Measure the width of the stock seat and try to find one out of a small pickup, like S10, Toyota, etc.

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

48-52 Ford truck seats fit so well, you would almost think they were made for it. These can be found and are really pretty simple to make serviceable. You may have luck finding a better one out a bigger truck, especially stuff like boom, big farm or fire trucks.
    Some smaller pickup and SUV back seats may can be modified, as always use a tape measure.

4. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

i recovered a Mazda MPV 3rd row seat myself, took a tape measure to a junk yard and just started looking.
    fyi, this is a good forum to ask 48 to 52 ford truck questions http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/

5. Villadog

Villadog

I currently have bucket seats and just don't look right in the truck. I'm average height 5' 9''. I would like a bench seat I can customize to fit or an original seat. Any pics anybody?

6. Villadog

Villadog

Thanks, will look into it at the junk yard, any pics

7. 52lomofo

52lomofo

where you from villdog??

8. rails32

rails32

I agree with Rusty , nothing beats the stock seat in an old truck. They are still around for Ford trucks. Pickup and larger F-6 F-7 all seats and tracks the same

9. Villadog

Villadog

Any other ideas??

10. Villadog

Villadog

Here in houston

11. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

I'm using an early Ranger seat. Look for one without the head rests. I had to make the mount for it as a Ranger mounts much lower than a F1. I used square tubing and placed it in the stock location at the stock height. I have the stock gas tank behind the seat and it fits fine. I'll have it re covered but you can find good quality covers for Rangers.

12. CayoRV

CayoRV

Dakota bench fits nicely in them.

13. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Would a 67-72 F100 be too wide? They have the tank behind the seat and might be plentiful compared to F1 seat.

14. Villadog

Villadog

What years Dakota?

15. Villadog

Villadog

There's only one way to find out, I'll be going to junk yard with my measuring tape

16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Yep.
    You might could shoehorn one in there but closing the doors would be hell.

17. 1951fordf100

1951fordf100
    from Idaho

My '51 has a seat out of an S10. Fits good. I'm happy with it.

18. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Several years ago I put a seat out of a 63/5 Falcon wagon in my F-1... Used 4 in. channel as a riser/spacer. Looked good, fit very well width wise and was more comfortable than the original....
    LW

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have a 48-52 F1 seat and am in driving distance . you otta send me a message

20. Diavolo

Diavolo

21. CayoRV

CayoRV

The Dakota seat we used was from an early, 1st gen square body model. Don't remember the year.

22. ...early S-10 pickup, Ford Ranger and 3rd seats out of Astro and Safari vans work great.

23. here's my stock seat in basic black vinyl.....I lowered it 2" cuz I'm 6'4" tall. I wanted an original looking seat, but I'm sure the later model stuff would be more comfortable.

[​IMG]

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Some years back I bought a 59 Ford F100 that had buckets installed by the previous owner. They didn't fit, I could not sit in or drive the thing.

The only stock seat I could find was in an old dump truck. It had been laying around a junk yard for years with the windows open. The upholstery was all rotted off it.

So, I took it home, cleaned up the frames and springs and painted them. Took my tape measure to the junk yard and found a seat with the right width, and color (red to go with the flat black truck).

Shopped rear seats because they don't get much wear. Found a good match in a 77 LTD II sedan.

Stripped the foam and cover off it, and hog ringed it onto the old dump truck frames. I had to stuff a little extra foam in the corners but with a little adjusting it fit perfect and looked factory. I drove that truck for a couple of years, the seat was comfortable and looked like new when I sold it.

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  25. I'm with the rest of you. ....... I've built lots of these trucks. S10, Dakota, Safari middle seat..... all work well.
    And taking out the gas tank from behind the seat does indeed give you more leg room. I'm 6'5". Every inch counts.

26. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Another option is a back seat out of a Wrangler or Wrangler Unlimited.

As said in a post above, if you can find an original seat frame, covering is fairly simple even with used stuff.