Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 1932 ford roadster frame safety front??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnold1938, Dec 27, 2014.

?
  1. SAFTEY

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. SAFTEY FIRST

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

someone with qualified suggestion as to what straight axle I can use under my roadster without chance of failing. DO NOT WANT TO BUY JUNK UNSAFE I-BEAM. GIVE ME BRANDS AND WHERE TO BUY PLEASE. ARE THERE ANY STEEL BILLET TYPES, SHOULD USE A TUBE AXLE???

2. #1 choice is a 1932 "heavy" ford original axle. Have it dropped if you want.
    #2 choice is any other original ford axle you care to fuss with to make it fit, based off your avatar a 33-36 would be a good choice for that one.
    #3 choice is aftermarket forged (not cast) axle. Those are available from "chassis engineering" commonly referred to has a CE axle. And in believe SoCal has a forged axle

3. No billet,No tube.

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

All about dat forge, no cast...

5. And so ends this thread. Short and to the point.

6. SoCal axle's are forged. Have one under the cabrio.

7. I have two CI Forged axles...avoid billet,cast and aluminum axles,,avoid the tube unless you are using non traditional 4 bar. HRP

8. saucerhead

saucerhead

Lucky Seven makes a nice forged axle cheaper than the others. I drilled the beam and boxed the ends, no problem.

9. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

THANK YOU FELLOW HAMBERS I FEEL BETTER AS TO PURCHACING THE RIGHT AND SAFEST PRODUCT BASED ON YOUR ANSWERS!!!

10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

CE is forged in USA..( I think by jondeere).. Believe the rest are china... Has to be a difference... No?

11. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Magnum now offers Forged axles in their line up.

12. 117harv

117harv

The best brand is a dropped original Ford! :)

13. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I suggest you also use Ford radius rods properly split (if necessary) with certified/quality welding on the tie rod end inserts, no welded pitman arm on the steering box, and if you use a dropped axle make sure the spindles are good and the arms bent for clearance done properly (no water quenched cooling) or better yet forged bolt on dropped steering arms, (also CE) Make sure the spring does not bind by either a properly set up of the front cross member or use high quality "adjustable" forged spring perches. My 2 cents and building hotrods since '61 (Mor dropped axle in a 30 A)

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All Ford, all the time.

15. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't help but wonder, what if you're using a traditional 4 bar? Ron

16. To my way of thinking a 4 bar IS non-traditional.

4 bars are really not considered traditional but lend themselves well to tube axles,they prevent any undue twisting of the axle. HRP

17. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

thank you for your input I now have a better idea as to what is safe. humbly john!

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Early 4-bars came straight from oval track tech and were used only by gold chainer check book street rodders like Grabowski and Ivo...look though the early rod magazines for earlier examples.
    oval track cars could not run wishbones because thew were way too low in frame and belly pan. Many of these cars used Ford tube axles...a major reason they are hard to find now.
    The 4 rods were generally made from Ford tie rods and used the full ball end motion of tie rod ends to advantage.

19. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Priceless.