Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods car hauler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcyunger, Dec 27, 2014.

1. mcyunger

mcyunger

does any have a truck that could be used as a car hauler. we are open to all ideas. we thought about a flatbed to drive up or a hydraulic flat bed or a truck to pull a tow dolly.

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

just because you know what you are thinking about, doesnt mean we do

seb fontana likes this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There is probably not any solution that is ideal all the time. Each means of transporting
    a vehicle has it's advantages and disadvantages. I have owned a tandem car hauler trailer
    steadily for at least 15 years and have determined it best, for me, though not without occasionally
    wishing I had something else. I also operated a tow dolly, off and on, over the years mostly behind
    my RV. I no longer have a tow dolly, as I decided the disadvantages outweighed the advantages.
    I 'flat tow" (tow bar, all wheels on the ground) behind the RV now.

By the way, I tow the car hauler trailer with a Dodge 2500 Diesel crew cab and it makes handing the trailer a 'breeze'. Also has plenty of room for parts, miscellaneous and passengers when necessary. My main point being, if you decide on a trailer, get a truck suited for the job, a heavy duty 1/2 ton may handle it, but I think a 3/4 ton is the least you should consider if you are hauling longer distances and/or frequently. You do not want the "tail wagging the dog".

Ray

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I have a car hauler. It's fun.

[​IMG]

5. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Get a trailer!
    They're cheap ,and spend 90% of the time sitting around unused. [and easier to sell when you are "over it" ]

Hnstray likes this.
  6. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

squirrel that's a bad a$$ set up !

7. Look up Hodges bed trucks. I am on a journey myself to find one of these. IMHO these are the coolest haulers especially when on a vintage truck.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Tony

Tony

image.jpg
    I know its a little new for the HAMB cut off, but here's one a close friend of mine has. We USE it quite a bit.
    The bed actually tilts and he installed a winch for the ones that dont run.
    Plans are to rebuild it this summer and make it look as good as it works.
    This generation of truck can be bought quite inexpensively.
    We were moving my 32 in the winter in this pic. Sorry the quality sucks, its a pic of a pic.

Tony

9. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Perfect !!

10. mcyunger

mcyunger

thank you for your help and suggestions. today I bought a 1972 f250 with a fresh 390 and four speed manual out of grants pass, Oregon for 2500 bucks. I guess my idea of a 40's or 50's car hauler will have to wait.

11. Saxxon

Saxxon

It is very cool when the tow rig gets as much attention as the race car - for all the right reasons.