Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Does The General Public Hate Old Cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert J. Palmer, Dec 27, 2014.

?

Do people hate old cars?

Poll closed Feb 27, 2015.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    49.5%
  3. Or just don't undersand

48 vote(s)
    43.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is a subject I have talked over with a lot of car guys, and based on my and their experiences, I fear it's true!
    Here are a few examples:
    -I find when I drive my 53 people are far more likely to pull in front of me or tailgate.
    -The last time out this year with the car, my Father and Mother had my truck full of parts from a swap meet. We had to stop a the local Walmart, They found a parking space away from the doors. When I pulled in next to them (after looking left and over my right shoulder) A guy in some Japanese S.U.V. cutting across the parking spaces almost drove into my right side, then said "I cut him off"
    -When I stop to eat buy gas ect... with the car no one looks or even asks me about it.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have pretty much experienced the opposite of what you describe. Not EVERYONE comes to look or ask questions, but plenty of people smile, wave, make a complimentary comment or want to talk about the car.
    My stuff ranges from late '30s to early/mid '50s so, by most standards, they are all 'old'. People of all generations take notice, but middle age and older do so the most. Except for kids about 8 to 14 or so.....they seem more interested than the twenty somethings.

Ray

3. Ray and I have both experience pretty much the same reactions from the general public,I am always bombarded with questions about my cars when out driving.

The idiot you referred too in the wallmart parking lot could care less about anyone but himself,he doesn't care what you are driving. HRP

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I agree with Hnstray. I live in northwest Arkansas. I drive my '56 Nomad and '47 Ford coupe every chance I get, and people always compliment my rides. One day I had my '47 out in front of a friend's upholstery shop, and an older lady (older than my 58 years, anyway) stopped her SUV, got out, walked over to my friend and me and said, "That's a '47, isn't it?" When I said, "Yes, it is," she smiled and said "That's what I thought!"

I have also noticed in the year I have lived in NWA that a whole lot of people around here drive their old cars regularly! I never know what I am going to see on the 35 mile trip to work! It's great!

People DO tend to pull out in front of my old cars. I think they assume I'm driving slower than I am because I'm in an old vehicle. So I do pay attention to that when I am driving.

One day a guy in his late-teens/early 20s came up to me as I was fueling my Nomad. He asked me several questions, showing that he wanted to learn something about it. Then he asked, "Did you buy it new?" Ouch! That hurt!

volvobrynk likes this.

5. oldolds

oldolds

I think it is funny how some people have to pull out in front of you are pass you when you drive a 50's or older car. Dosen't matter if it is stock or a hot rod. If I see them down the road a bit at a gas station or diner they say it was because they "didn't want to get stuck behind that old car" Like it going to slow them down on thier trip across town.

6. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with Ray and HRP. For whatever reason, my '53 Ford gets way more looks than the '32 Ford Roadster I had prior. Either way, midwestern folk tend to wave, gauch, or otherwise make compliments showing approval.

7. When I drive my '53 wagon or '67 bug I get a lot of looks and comments. Also, people are always asking if I want to sell it. More so with the bug. However, no one notices or wants to buy my Focus. :D
    Wait I take that back. Once at the local U-Haul store, a couple wanted to know if I would trade trunk lids with them. Mine had a factory spoiler but I didn't want to trade my nice shiny lid for their faded out and dinged up one. If their lid had looked as nice as mine I would have done it in a heartbeat. Why the hell does a Focus need a spoiler?

8. i find people will let me out, or let me go first at an intersection, i think so they can look at my truck.

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I really don't care what civilians think of old cars

10. I drive my cars because I like them, care less what others think.

GRUNDY and WiredSpider like this.
  11. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

People here do the same to me. I have most trouble with women, and guys in their forties and younger. Mostly Audi, BMW, Lexus and ESPECIALLY mini vans.

I guess I could attribute it to a lot of things but I just call them ass holes and let them know they are number 1 and keep it moving.

On the other hand I do get loads of people who smile, give me the thumbs up or ask questions. I just stay off the road during certain hours to avoid the numb skulls.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like the experience you describe is just like driving an OT late model car....especially if you are driving the posted speed limit.

13. I used to drive a beat up, rusty 69 F100 and never had problems with people pulling out or cutting me off. Sometimes other drivers would wave me to go first at intersections. I figured they were afraid I might hit them.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Truck64, Hitchhiker and shivasdad like this.
  14. desotot

desotot

Every body likes my old cars, but then I usually have a Ford or Merc.

15. Both you guys with problems are from New York too. Wonder if that's part of it

16. It is different in various parts of the country.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. ev88f

ev88f

Hey Palmer! How ya doin buddy? Everybody from Grand Gorge to Oneonta has seen your car so I guess there's no more questions about it haha. Must be time to build another one.
    -Everett

18. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I see the same thing as Ray and HRP. I get a lot of questions/comments on the old cars. Maybe it is a regional thing? I do seem to get a crowd with the stock Model A more so than with the pickup. But plenty of comments on both.

19. I fully agree with you about civilians.
    I just think it's sad, and fear what it means for the old car hot rod hobby! (Although I view it as a lifestyle!!)

20. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I think alot of people today don't have the patience to put up with our old cars today - drive slower, brakes sooner, lack of turn signals, dim lights, etc, etc!! I also think some like to challedge us by cutting us off & tail gateing. But I don't care - all the thumbs up make up for it!

lothiandon1940 and Spoggie like this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

so the point of this thread is, don't move to New York if you're into old cars.

Folks out here seem to like them....although they like old cars that look good much more than they like old cars that look like crap.

wojojo, lothiandon1940 and verno30 like this.
  22. What's up? I thought you fell off the planet!!

23. I honestly think the general public can relate to the 50's cars more than the earlier ones.

We receive more interaction when driving the wagon than our deuces. HRP

lothiandon1940 and verno30 like this.
  24. I think they think Tater is driving and they never seen a dog drive before!:eek:
    004.JPG

lothiandon1940 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  25. ev88f

ev88f

Haven't had the buggy on the road for a few years. Been down in Fl pretty much full time. Hopefully I'll be able to throw plates on the chevy this summer when I swing up.

26. I get lots of thumbs up!:cool:

27. I have all the parts to start my next build, I need the time or someone to pay me to build my own stuff so I don't have to work a real job!;)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    ev88f likes this.
  28. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I think the general public and authorities hate old cars in their neighbourhoods when the grass starts grows through them.

Paint a number on the side and put it on a trailer and suddenly most people will wave to you.

29. 327Eric

327Eric

I think they just don't care. Why would you want something old? I get looks in the 59, but a lot more in Fresno than the Bay Area. Anything that isn't shiny is just junk to them.

lothiandon1940 and 59Apachegail like this.
  30. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I have found more indifference to my old trucks from people in my area. No one really cares about old cars. I live in an area that was mostly agricultural up until about 30 years and most of the people that do take interest in my old trucks are old farmers who once had a truck like mine they used on their farm back in the '50s and '60s. That is the basis of my theory that people will only be interested in cars they have a connection with, they either had one when the cars were relatively new or had a relative when they were a kid who had one. Most people under 40 years old never had a connection with a vehicle from the '50s or before so they aren't interested in them, especially if it not a sexy tri-five Chevy that everyone is familiar with.

As for the way people interact with me when I drive the trucks around. I get cut off a lot, the morons don't seem to realize with drum brakes and bias ply tires and the weight and design of the truck I can't stop as fast as they can with their modern cars. They also do seem to realize I have more iron in my front bumper than they have in their entire car and if we do connect they are going to be in for a whole lot of hurt. I am always scanning for a way out in case some idiot decides to get in front of me and then decides to slam on their brakes.

One more thing I've noticed about old iron and the general public. People seems to be more interested in looking at pieces of crap than at shiny old cars. I've dragged numerous old heaps home, driving through small and large towns and every time I have people on the side of the road giving me smiles, waves and thumbs up. I'll stop in a gas station to fuel up and have at least one person come up and ask me about the rusty heap on my trailer. A few years back I bought a panel truck in a state 600 miles away. It didn't have an engine but from outward appearance it looked pretty decent, nice paint and shiny mag rims. Not once during the 600 mile trip back home did I have anyone give me a thumbs up or even ask me about it when I stopped at a gas station or restaurant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.