Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

DRIVER LOU CICCONI RESTING COMFORTABLY AFTER TRENTON INDOOR RACE THREE QUARTER MIDGET CRASH; LOWER BACK FRACTURE SUSTAINED

TRENTON, NJ December 21, 2014 . . . Veteran open cockpit driver Lou Cicconi, Jr., of Lester, Pa., is resting comfortably Sunday morning following a crash Saturday in the Len Sammons Motorsports Productions (LSMP) Three Quarter (TQ) Midget ‘Battle Of Trenton’ feature event last night.

Cicconi sustained a non-displaced fracture of the first lumbar vertebra (L1) after hitting the Jersey barrier retaining wall head on, then spinning around and slamming down on the concrete track surface wheels first. The car did not overturn. No other drivers were involved in the crash.

As of Sunday midday, Cicconi remained a patient in the trauma unit of Capital Health Regional Medical Center in Trenton.

In the immediate aftermath of the crash, Cicconi told EMT workers at the scene that he was experiencing sharp lower back pain.

The EMT team, led by Track Services Coordinator Warren Alston, employed the use of a newly designed half-size backboard, designed and built by the Farmingdale-Howell First Aid Squad, which immobilized the driver as he remained in the car’s seat.

Alston directed his team to cut the ‘halo bar’ above the drivers’ head. Then, the team sheared the metal head rest support. Next, Alston had his team raise the front of the car physically to allow the force of gravity to assist in the extrication which included the introduction of a full size backboard under the half size device.

“We took all the precautions,” said Alston. “He was in pain, we knew it was a back injury and the extrication was crucial.”

No timetable was known as of Sunday afternoon as to when Cicconi might be released or whether his post-trauma treatment would or would not require the use of a back brace.

Lou posts here.

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Prayers and Best Wishes for Lou.

3. 32-Miller-Scofield-Ford-DV-13-MH_01.jpg
    Yup! I too think it's the format. I have to struggle too long to find my old "haunts" on the HAMB.

My car and engine are getting a much needed complete overhaul. About eight seasons of hard vintage races finally required it. We'll probably be running on the road course at Buttonwillow Raceway (west of Bakersfield) in April. Sonoma Raceway in May. We'll be going to the HCICA events at AAA Speedway. And the Monterey Invitional events in August (if invited).
    View attachment 2794351

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    BZNEIL likes this.
  4. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

10862701_354869074638454_4124603147233298049_o.jpg Hope this isn't a re-post and that it belongs here. Found on facebook and thought of this thread.

6. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Roller 6(1024x768).jpg Well, it has been awhile, but finally the Edmunds CBM-7 is a roller. Plan to paint and letter body in the spring. then it is on to rebuilding the Chevy II. Roller 6  (1024x768).jpg

Black vette 59 and s55mercury66 like this.
  7. WOW!! nice work on the frame so far, looking to see more on this ride.

8. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Thanks for the good wishes for my brother Lou. He's actually walking around and was at the family Christmas get together yesterday. He was very fortunate that there was not damage to his spinal cord at all, and no surgery was needed. The bone is fractured at the front only. I saw the video and it didn't look like a bad crash, but you can never tell about that stuff. The worst injuries I ever got racing occurred at the Indianapolis Speedrome which is smaller than a 1/4 mile. I'm not sure how long he'll be out of the driver's seat, but I know he's out for the rest of the indoor races and is wearing a back brace for a while, although I'm not sure for how long. Thanks again guys!!

bakes, Joshua Shaw, wicarnut and 2 others like this.
  9. gtxrider

gtxrider

My brother was at the race in Trenton and told me about Lou's wreck. I saw Lou smack the wall hard at Lee this past summer in a Super. Hope he gets back in the saddle soon.

There were two crashes I remember you taking that were televised on ESPN one at IRP and one at Winchester.

10. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

Rootie & racer5c

Thanks for the help on squaring the rear end. I used the same principals to square the front axle. If I recall correctly, the right front caster should be set at 6 degrees negative.(?) The right front camber setting should be negative a few degrees as well, but I don't recall how many. Any suggestions?

Unassembled

11. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Caster should be positive. In other words the top of the kingpin should be tipped back. Denny Z.

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Camber is built into the axle so, short of bending the axle, you have what you have. 6 deg. caster is a good starting point and is easy enough to adjust if the car likes to wander.

13. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

Halibrand midget wheels for sale. Magnesium, 4 bolt not 6 pin, Culver City I belive they're the "kidney bean" style. I'm selling for a friend that isn't a hamb'r and he was asking 800 obo for the pair (he only has 2). I don't know if that's high or low as I only really keep up with prices on the 15 and 16 inch and rearends.... msg me for info thanks....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Glad to hear Lou is up and walking around already, Bob.

15. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Merry Christmas everyone, and here's to a Great new year. I have a VERY busy Racing schedule planned, hope you all do as well.

J Shaw

16. LOL!! That's good 28dreyer! Amen!

Black vette 59 and carl s like this.
  17. baldtireman

baldtireman

I do not like the new format,nor does my old computer. Tried a F/B page for a while....when it got vindictive,I QUIT.......supposed to be fun...not like a college thesis!

Black vette 59 likes this.
  18. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

It took Me a while to adjust to this new format, But I have adjusted and I can deal with it... John, I have been told By You and a few others that the Group I started on Facebook Has turned to S--t after I took a leave to recuperate from a Heart problem back in Late August... And was/is probably brought on by one of the Administrators I had helping run the group, I have no clue as to what has been going on with it [Since I have been blocked from it due to it becoming a closed group and I can't even lurk while I recuperate] I also heard that there were other changes that were made without being consulted on them but anyway.. I started It as a fun thing to Help others gather photos, stories and connections for Their Families & Friends to fill in the blanks of loved ones, and Some of us that are restoring a Vintatage sprint car, As a way We could gather info and photos thru a larger media platform.{the connections I made for some of My cars History I probably would Have never gotten due to those People not Knowing of, or Having any intrest in this HAMB thread, It was thru a FaceBook connection of a Friend of a Family member or a friend of a friend and their Personal and Families albums } . Again It was supposed to be a place where Families, Friends and Fans could add to their Photo albums, History and swap stories and lies....... This thread is like a Big Family where everyone try's to help each other with info and technical advice and photo's. I'm GLAD that I can spend more time here again, since I'm no longer involved with that Group....And To All Of You Have A Happy New Year,..Rich .

Black vette 59 and s55mercury66 like this.
  19. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Welcome back Rich. As for the new format...I'm dealing with it, It's OK once one gets use to it. Denny Z.

20. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Happy new year everybody!

Not much going on with my vintage car this winter. I tore it down a little to give it a good clean and go over everything. I cracked the copper oil pressure gauge line at winchester and oil has seeped into everything. I switched to a braided hose after that.

Also picked up a HANS device for this year. Major overkill for vintage but you just never know.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420237330.467553.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420237346.901461.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

no_fenders and Black vette 59 like this.
  21. joemac05

joemac05

>>>>>>>> Also picked up a HANS device for this year. Major overkill for vintage but you just never know.

They should be mandatory in anything that moves over 30 MPH. Our road cars have air bags to stop your neck from getting snapped. Also a real honest to goodness containment seat should me mandatory, but I've heard the discussions many times. <Grin>

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I have to admit that I am cross-addicted, to Facebook and the HAMB. Hope you are doing better, RABs32.

23. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

Hi all,

I just posted some parts in the classified section. Vintage Halibrand wheel and 1937 Ford tube axle.

Everything SOLD!

Unassembled

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  24. HANS.......

Neil...happy new year to you and your family,anything that keeps you safe has my approval.....hate to lose a good friend......:D......CAR STILL LOOKING GOOD....

25. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Colorado eye candy P1011065.JPG P1011066.JPG

26. Maybe the headers, not so much.

slobitz likes this.
  27. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

IMGP6920.JPG Yah, probably an expedient, as was the case with this one too.

Also interesting to see the Tom Cherry version just up this page.

Black vette 59 likes this.
  28. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Coincidently, the #2 above is injected also.

29. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

sorry if this has been asked before. When was the first sprint car to run a cage, and where?