Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this engine hot rod material?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wsdad, Dec 26, 2014.

1. wsdad

wsdad

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419626925.315512.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419626951.842949.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419626970.846126.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419626999.516462.jpg

My Dad said it ran two years ago when he parked it. Can anyone identify it? Would it be a good candidate as a hot rod engine? Can anyone tell me what year the truck is?

Can anyone tell me where to look for the VIN number?

Thanks.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Looks like an old 292 truck 'Y' block

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It's either a 272 or 292 Y block Ford V8. Probably a 292. Some guys like them.
    They are 'traditional'........

Ray

4. ev88f

ev88f

5. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

I'd fix up the whole truck, make a great parts hauler! The truck is a '58 thru '60 ford. there is a thread for these, check it out!

6. wsdad

wsdad

Oops. Here is a picture of the front. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419627964.404219.jpg

7. When I did my roadster, my sister-in-law gave me a SBC to rebuild and use, but if I could have found a complete Y-block that I had a little history on, I would have gone that route in a second.

8. Can't see the grille very well but it looks like a 1960. [the second photo shows a 1960 grille] The engine is a "Y-block" ford and it could be a 272, 292 or maybe even a 312 but with the 2 barrel carb it's probably not a 312.
    I see the truck has a hydraulic clutch setup and that's good for installing it in a hotrod. . The fact the engine is in a 1 ton truck says it probably got worked pretty hard and may need everything. You won't know until you tear it down to inspect all the parts. Good news is those old ford engines will take a pretty good sized overbore if it needs it and they came with steel cranks and good rods. Bad news is they're a little spendy to buy parts for but parts are available.
    If I didn't have access to any other engines or if I was a Y-block nut, I'd grab it. Lots of transmissions available to fit behind it. If you get it, hold on to that bellhousing and clutch setup....it's good stuff.
    All the electric stuff is all 12 volt.
    Fire it up and see if it's junk or a good core.

9. Y block,yeah would be a great engine in a hot rod.

Seems like a member of the Rollin Bones has one in his high mileage coupe. HRP

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. Just swap on some ram's horns, and 4-bbl, and some finned aluminum.

11. It's a '60, it should be a 292.
    The steel cranks were in larger trucks than a F350.

12. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

the VIN # should be on the inside of the glove box door.

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Y block Fords were not very popular in the fifties and sixties because there were lots better engines, from Ford and other makers.

These days they are used for the nostalgia kick. You could rebuild that motor and use it in a hot rod. It would cost a lot of money, parts aren't so easy to get anymore. And the HP wouldn't set any records. It would be the thing to do, just so you could have a Y block in your car, it has no other advantages. A Ford 302, Chev 350 are much better engines, and cheaper.

14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it is a '59-60 Ford, 1-ton. Rusty O'Toole hit the nail on the head about the Y-block. None of these comments will lead you astray. Good luck.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes::p:p:p:p:p Talk to Tim McMaster or Ted Eaton, or even John Mummert.

I have a Y Block in my RPU built by Tim McMaster because it is nostalgic to me, and it is built to hold it's own for the cubic inches that it is running.

Check out the performance the above mentioned engine builders have achieved on the dyno, at Bonneville etc.
    And parts are definitely not hard to get.

There are very few engines that will sound as sweet as a Y Block.

Certainly not one of the "better":rolleyes: or "cheaper":rolleyes:
    belly button engines you have suggested.
    Cheaper is not always better.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: Nonsense.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And yes, that engine has potential as a hot rod engine.

29pu and volvobrynk like this.
  18. David Chandler

David Chandler

i had a 292 and loved it. In something other than that truck it should move things nicely with the usual tricks done on almost any engine. If it's free I'd tear it down and take a long hard look at it before I spent a bundle on it though.

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

For a Y-block,run dual straight pipes (no mufflers) to your rear bumper.Nothing and I mean NOTHING makes music as sweet as a y-block!

Your trucks a 1960,so is mine. I have a 292 in a 1959 Ford. Ramhorn exhaust manifolds are best and will get rid of the awkward manifolds you have

20. williebill

williebill

As a little kid in the early 60s, I used to watch the older cool kids with cool cars. Tri Fives, 58 Impalas, mid 50s Fords, the Mopar or two that ran around the neighborhood, everything else, including FE powered cars. The absolute best sounding cars, by far, were Y block powered. No contest to my ears. That's why I have several of them now, waiting to be used. If I wanted practical or cheap, I wouldn't be on the HAMB everyday.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Most any American V-8 is potential hot rod material. The determining factor in choice comes down to cubic dollars.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. metal man

metal man

I trip over Y block speed equipment and factory parts at every swap meet I go to. They are also very attractive engines when cleaned up and detailed. Also,
    They sound great, especially if you get the compression up to about 10:1,and they all have solid lifters .

23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

& if you want some cheap power, that may not be entirely quite "trad", those exhaust manifolds would do for a nice start on a home-made junk-yard twin-turbo blow-thru-carb set-up. FWIW. Marcus...

24. pitman

pitman

Something about: "That thing turned over harder than a 292...
    with 312 pistons in it!" :D

25. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

It is a worthless boat anchor.

Ship it to me for proper disposal.

wbrw32 likes this.
  26. atomickustom

atomickustom

Everyone keeps saying they sound great: How would you describe their sound? (I know that's impossible but a few adjectives would be nice.)
    I really care about exhaust sound and I don't know anyone with a Y-block and I'm dying to know what's different about how they sound!

27. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

If it turns over, got 4 pistons or more and got any hop up parts avalible, its hot rod materiale!
    Also comes down what you got; car, room/space, parts and what did you have where you wants to put it.
    But basicly, any horsepower gain, is hot rodding for those with shallow pockets.

In the World of V8,
    after the King (flathead) and before the Mighty Mouse (SBC), Y block roamed the streets.
    People claiming there was nothing between the King and the Mouse, just got historical blinders on.

But that looks like a sentimental corse, but if it turns over, go for it.

28. Sound is subjective,,,but my take is that the factory dual, back drop manifolds allow the rear cylinder to fire "right down the pipe" so to speak. This has an effect on the flow dynamics that produces the sound,,,, mufflers also play a part, of course.
    I have the COE truck manifolds on a 292 F600, the sound is not the same, just sounds like a V8...

29. atomickustom

atomickustom

But what adjectives would you use to describe that sound?? I am genuinely curious.

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pure mechanical sex.

volvobrynk likes this.