Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "You didn't build that" 27 T Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

He's not the first guy to collect parts and start planning the next project before the current project is done.
    I'm sure he will get this one done, if for no other reason than it is for his wife.

daddio211 likes this.
  2. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

im looking for a cab just like that if anyone has one

daddio211 likes this.
  3. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks man, I'm pretty excited about it!

Truck is going on a 1976 Chevy crew cab dually chassis. It will have a ramp deck and look pretty similar to Willy Pelzer's truck. He's been more than generous with information and guidance! Really great guy!

View attachment 2764249

That's my intention for sure. Bought this about 16 months ago, just didn't have room for it until we bought this new home.

Dick, da34guy and I have been friends for about 15 years. He may come across abruptly but he really helps me stay on target. He's taught me a lot, and one of the best lessons is "one project at a time." Good advice for me! I tend to be easily distracted and have visions of grandeur....

Isn't everyone? LOL. Dragging it home on the trailer got more stares, waves, nods, and signs of approval than any shiny hot rod I've towed. Stopped at the local drags on the way home and had three guys waking toward me (different parts of the event) asking if it was for sale BEFORE I parked! Keep on searching and you'll find one. Join the HAMB COE group here as well as the "Cabover Cult" on Facebook. Mine belonged to a friend who cut me a killer deal.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  4. Nice distraction!

daddio211 likes this.
  5. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks Kurt, come see it next time you're down.

6. I will for sure, but who knows the next time I will be down.

daddio211 likes this.
  7. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

whats the link to the COE GROUP

8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Dick, da34guy and I have been friends for about 15 years. He may come across abruptly but he really helps me stay on target. He's taught me a lot, and one of the best lessons is "one project at a time." Good advice for me! I tend to be easily distracted and have visions of grandeur....

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was giving him a hard time about it, I understand about coming off as being abrupt......I've been accused of doing that myself. I like people that are straight forward and don't parse words. :oops:o_O:rolleyes:

daddio211 likes this.
  9. daddio211

daddio211

No harm, no foul. I prefer direct people. Nobody ever has to wonder what's REALLY on our minds!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    volvobrynk and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  10. daddio211

daddio211

Update time! My 15 year old Austin was hanging with me this weekend and wanted to see the car. So up to Bob's we went and visited for a while.

The whole body is now in guide coat and Bob is working on details. The trunk is being fit which is no easy task as it was crudely hand built out of 1/2" square tubing and sheet metal by the previous guy. It actually fit the body fairly well with 3/8" of Bondo :rolleyes: but Bob is massaging it however he can.

1417925044307.jpg

1417925064385.jpg

1417925127462.jpg

1417925156250.jpg

I still haven't delivered the 283 to him so he's using his mock up block.

1417925184538.jpg

1417925205762.jpg

You may also notice Bob has built yet a THIRD trans cross member because... well, because I'm a pain in the ass. :D

Attached Files:

11. All looking sharp, and I see some nice fixtures like the trans cooler etc. How did you get on with the bell housing to firewall clearance?
    I just read back about the guy here with the COE and I didn't click to Willy Pelzer as I only met him yesterday:rolleyes:.
    Keep up the good work Sirs:D JW

12. daddio211

daddio211

Willy is a great guy! Has helped me and inspired me more than I can tell!

The firewall clearance worked out just fine, no modification required.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That is good news, things are lookin good. :)

daddio211 likes this.
  14. Eric, this has come along in a large leap and I can see it being finished very soon. Still hangin out to see it sitting on its wheels.......that will be a huge milestone. JW:D

daddio211 likes this.
  15. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks guys. Just waiting for Bob to spray the wheels and I'll get the tires mounted. Hope to put the rear end together this weekend.

pennafxu and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  16. daddio211

daddio211

No rear end rebuild/assembly this weekend, we'll try for next.

17. We can wait a week, busy time of the year for everyone. I was planning to have RPU mobile by now........but no:( JW:D

daddio211 likes this.
  18. daddio211

daddio211

No updates my friends, but my family wishes you all a very merry Christmas. I hope your lives are filled with family, love and celebrations of Christ.

1419473092386.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    K.L, Outback, firepilot and 4 others like this.
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Merry Christmas to you and your family too Eric. As for love family and celebrations of Christ, you can count on it.
    The love he has for me is the reason I am still here.
    The love my wife has for him and also for me is another reason.
    We all have plenty to celebrate.
    Larry.

Outback, firepilot, daddio211 and 2 others like this.
  20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

21. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Yep, Me x4...Even if I don`t know how to do the fancy arrows......Headed to Midnight Service later to give Thanks for the Birth of Our Saviour...

firepilot and daddio211 like this.
  22. Well Eric, hope you don't mind me calling you by your first name so soon but, I have finally finished reading through all 27 pages of your build thread. Oh yes, it did take me a day or three to do it as little things kept interferring with my compute time.:(. Allow me to say that Bob has build an amazing frame and car for your very special lady, his skill set is to be admired. As I have read along I have had to do detours into Goggle Earth to found all the name places you and others have mentioned and must admit, was really impressed with the scenic photos of around Zion National Park.
    One question I do need to ask but not for you but your friend with the green '27 Roadster is, did you lose much leg room once you had the upholstery done as in one photo, it appears that you sat right back against the back of the body but now with the seat rear cushion, it looks as if you would be a good 6" inches closer to the steering wheel ? Damn nice car too.
    I think that was about the only question I had. I hope your all have a safe and enjoyable New Years Eve and I pray the new year is excellent for all here.

Kind regards, Mark, ( Whiplash )

Oh one more question guys, I have just purchased a smart phone and got the HAMB App so that I can follow along on my subscribed threads but have noticed that I don't get the note at the bottom of my posts saying that was written on the HAMB app sitting on the loo...... what gives there chaps and how do I rectify this situation ???? Help needed urgent as I'm missing out here.;):):D

26 T Ford RPU and daddio211 like this.
  23. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Mark--You`ll have to hold the phone upside down for that to work....:D:D:D:cool:

daddio211 likes this.
  24. daddio211

daddio211

Whiplash, I'm flattered you found my thread interesting enough to read, thank you! Bob is indeed talented, my wife is wonderful, and anytime you come this way please allow me to take you on a tour!

@ZZLEGEND , paging Dr. @ZZLEGEND? I believe that's your car, Mark. Mark, meet Mark. Mark, meet Mark. Sounds like a hairlip dog.

I don't know why, but the app doesn't show our "signatures" like the browser does. There are a few nuances to it, but I'll bet 95% of my HAMB time is spent using the app now. Safe to say I've dealt with those nuances just fine.

Welcome aboard, hope I can continue to entertain!

25. Simply the best thread on the HAMB!!:D:cool::D JW

daddio211 likes this.
  26. t-rod

t-rod

Seems the same guys pop up on this thread as Blue One's and Need Louvers?'s threads. As I see how fantastic these cars are looking, almost makes me want to blow mine apart to redo it. Almost, but I'm having too much fun driving it! Maybe once the next project is going, so I won't have two piles of parts and no hot rod.

daddio211 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  27. You're not wrong there Mr T-Rod. I made the stupid decision to do some major work on my T Bucket when the fuel pump burnt out and the car is stll waiting for me and the funds to continue on it to get it back on the road. I went from just needing to fit a new electric fuel pump to shortening the rear of the frame and cutting the pickup bed down, cutting the doors off each side of the fibre body to fit opening doors, steeling out the interior instead of the wood it had, lowering the seat base riser so that I sat down in the car even more then before, which was pretty good in the first place, moving the park brake again due to not been able too reach it unless one released the seatbelt and bent over in half, absolutely no good in a emergency, and that resulted in the car parked in the garage for the last 3 to 4 years while other things took priority. So yes, I can relate to you not wanting to be " Cool Carless " while things happen in the workshop.
    Sorry to high jack your thread Eric.

daddio211 likes this.
  28. Oh I forgot to mention, I had the new fuel pump from a Speed shop within a week too so could of had the car going in a very short time. The pickup bed only had 2" removed from it too but it was one of those things where I wasn't totally happy with the proportions of the car from the side and although heaps of guys said it was alright, it bugged me too much to leave it so shorter it had to be. Oh I had a new stainless steel fuel tank made also to fit the smaller hole so you know that saying of " it is only a little job " grew into one of " while I'm doing this, I should also do that, that and oh yes, that too " .o_O:(:rolleyes::)

daddio211 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.