Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '26 Model T build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by xrw urabus, Mar 10, 2011.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

Wow Jim, sorry to hear of all the bad news :(

Hoping things take a turn for the better soon for you guys......

2. cmarcus

cmarcus

Jim,
    Certainly hope things look up for you and your family. Prayers are sent your way...

I will say, I just went through this whole thread today - AWESOME stuff, and VERY inspirational!

All the best,

3. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Jim,
    My thoughts are with you and your family.

4. davo461

davo461

Jim, very sad to read your latest message. Hopefully, things can only improve for you and the family.
    Your remark, about others being spared because of your misfortune, is the work of s GOOD man, and I really hope that all your happy plans are eventually realised. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

5. OFT

OFT

My prayers are with you and your family. May the Lord bless.

Earl

6. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

As Jim has mentioned he's been a busy lately. But I've been trying to keep moving things forward. Still dreaming of a test drive before the snow files (Who am I kidding at this point I'll take it out between snow flakes if it means it's running!)
    I was able to start forging the new longer brake rods.
    [​IMG]
    I still need to round over the ends and complete the machining but there's a good start there.
    I've also been preping and painting the little odds and ends for the fuel and Brake systems that we didn't paint yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sediment bowl also needed cleaned out and rebuilt.
    [​IMG]
    (This is what came out of it)
    [​IMG]

I was also able to clean up the fuel tank (inside and out).
    [​IMG]

With a little luck we'll get the tank in the car and Start on the fuel lines soon.
    Until next time!

gwhite and firepilot like this.
  7. They say, "God dose not give you more than you can handle". Apparently he thinks your a bad ass. Are prays are with you and your family. Don't give up, reading your posts you have a lot of love behind you. Enjoying your build.

8. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

We were able to spend a good bit of Saturday working on the Project!
    The first thing we did was reevaluate the exhaust pipe and hanger. See the front hanger ended up being a little lower then we wanted. So it got heated and bent up to be in line with the rear.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The pipe now runs in a nice line with the body. We also moved the end of the pipe up from behind the rear tire to half way through the rear quarter window. Should keep it away from the wheel. We also think that the pipe's going to get wrapped. that should save your best girl's leg if she bumps the pipe in a skirt.

[​IMG]

Along with the exhaust we were able to install the fuel tank.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Once the tank was in place we installed the fuel sediment bowl on the tank. We flipped the carb around to get the fuel inlet closer to the tank and throttle linkage a push setup instead of a pull (simplifies the linkage).
    [​IMG]
    Now we just need to sort out how to hide the fuel pump and regulator here.
    Things are getting closer and we still haven't seen any snow so we may just pull this off yet!

CBB

firepilot likes this.
  9. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Love how you guys incorporated the the running board brackets into the exhaust.:D The car is looking great, nice details!

10. MrModelT

MrModelT

I dig the exhaust too.....but worried about people using it as a step and damaging it.

I think I mentioned that before....might was always used and broken so many times because of that. Even though I asked them not too.....they did anyway.

11. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Clayton,
    We tossed the Idea of a step around. We've got a few ways of doing it if we need too but we want to get out and running first see if it's an issue.

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

A step would certainly help protect it. Just thought I would mention it....especially with all the issues I have had :)

13. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

It's been a little bit so I wanted to get you guys an update. No much happening on the old girl lately.
    I took advantage of what looks to be the last of the "warm" days we'll have this year (65+ degrees F) to paint the Rocky Mountain Brakes. We went with Old Ford Blue cause...Why not, It should give the rear end some subtle color.
    [​IMG]
    It also seems that we failed to get the T running before the snow started to fall. The up side... we didn't get very much and it will not stop us from pushing on cause it has to melt some time! When it does we'll be ready.

CBB

14. MrModelT

MrModelT

Nicely done as always. Too bad you didn't get it on the road before the snows hit, but hopefully it will be a mild winter and you can soon. Also....it gives us something to look forward to :D

Blue looks good. Did you reline these? The factory lining is awful and doesn't last at all. After mine were gone in less then a year I took mine to my local brake/friction shop and had them replace them with a good, modern bonded and oil resistant linings.

I have had those for the last 10,000 miles with two adjustments and zero troubles.

I highly recommend doing the same.

15. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

While Jim is busy dealing with his wife's illness. I have started to tackle the wooden side of this build. No progress yet just trying to nail down how much wood of what sizes I need before my trip to the lumber mill this weekend. As I dug through our pile of rot and splinters that once were model T parts I can across a couple of pieces of wood that I don't know where they go. We didn't take a large portion of this car apart someone else did. While they kept a lot of the parts we have found many model A parts and bits for other old cars tossed into the boxes and buckets that this project came in. For all I know these don't even go in this car. I'm posting the photo's here and to see if you guys can help me figure out what goes where.

First photo this board is about 2-3 inches wide, about 2 1/2 foot long, and 1 - 1 1/4 inches thick. With a slight taper on each end, 4 mounting screws (look to be #10 or #12 machine screws fine thread) and a metal latch in the middle (it's too long and doesn't have the proper curve to be a door post)
    [​IMG]

The second photo is a board that is about 8 to 12 inches long and about 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide and 3/4 - 1 inch thick. With 2 holes ( look to be 3/8 or so holes) for bolts in it. there are 3 or 4 of these in the box. <--edit ( I'm starting to think these maybe running board blocks)
    [​IMG]

In the 1926 I believe wood was used for the Body block,seat frame, floors, rear window frames, door cards and maybe the hood shelf but other than that I didn't think there was wood in the "improved" cars. (if these is... we maybe missing pieces.)

Thanks,
    CBB

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    MrModelT likes this.
  16. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

17. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Progress was made on the car this weekend. With Jim out for awhile I enlisted the help of my father to do the woodworking in this car. His hobby includes making clocks, hobby horses and various other wood furniture. He has the tools and the skills to make this job look and fit like it should have when it was new (ore better). We took a 100 mile round trip to mill that had all the White Oak that we needed (after picking through piles of the stuff). All of the wood we bought was rough cut 4/4ths, 5/4ths, and 8/4ths. Planed down that will give us 3/4" 1" and 1 3/4".
    This is what is left of the original wood out of the car.
    [​IMG]

It's not much but we have the full seat frame, the front and back floors, a couple roof bows as well as most of roof side rail. This will be enough for us to make some patterns. Plus we'll have to modify the roof to take the sliding rag top.

To start we planed the wood to thickness.
    [​IMG]

Cut to length, ripped to width, and cut the tenons for the seat bottom.
    [​IMG]

A little test fit.
    [​IMG]
    The side rails were profiled to match the original and everything was glued together.
    [​IMG]
    Then on to the Seat back.
    [​IMG]

At this point we had gotten more done in the couple hours we worked then I thought we would. Which meant that I didn't have the screws that we needed to finish up. So this week I'll pick up some screws and try and move the car from Jim's garage to Dad's wood shop so we can fit the floors and roof to the car. And figure out if that piece of wood goes to this car.

Thanks,
    CBB

MrModelT likes this.
  18. MrModelT

MrModelT

Nice progress as usual. You are correct there isn't much wood in the '26-'27 "Improved" cars...door sills, tack strips, window surrounding Scripps, floors and seat frames are about it.

Here is a quick drawing that should show all there is..

Attached Files:

19. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

We've made a bit of progress over the last week or so.
    I've figured out what this bit of wood it.
    [​IMG]
    It is the bar that goes across the car behind the seat. The hook on the top of the seat back slips down in the bit of metal in the middle.
    It also looks like we're missing a bit of steel for the seat back. (this photo is not of this car).
    [​IMG]
    I don't remember anything that looked like that. But I need to check one more place to be sure. I'm sure we can make a suitable replacement but I'd love to see some better pictures. As such this is the best photo I've found on the Model T forums.

But we pushed on and finished up the seat back.
    [​IMG]

We also got the car moved to the wood shop.
    [​IMG]
    With it here we can work on fitting the roof to the car and fitting the floors to the car.
    I've sorta committed to having the on the road for the end of April so Let's hope that something come together.

CBB

MrModelT likes this.
  20. MrModelT

MrModelT

Nice work guys! You guys work fast and make great progress!

....I wish I could do that.. Lol! :D

I can't WAIT to see this on the road come April!

Crazybillybob likes this.
  21. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

If the holes in the second piece are about 6" apart they are probably for under the running boards at the brackets. Looks like the same out of my 26 coupe.

Didn't see your edit. You've already got it figured out.

Crazybillybob likes this.
  22. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

That's why we're happy my father is helping. His skills with wood makes this look easy and progress comes quickly.
    CBB

23. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

The Holiday's slowed down the progress of the wood parts a bit. Also we found out that we had the length of the center seat back support too short, we were missing the bottom wood cross member of the back, and what the package shelf should look like. We looked around in the rafters in Jim's shop and found the package shelf. It was just as rusty and multi-layered with old paint as the rest of the parts. (would be a great place for a "Before" picture wouldn't... Sorta slipped my mind.... So just use your imagination.)
    That's nothing a couple of hours with a grinder and a wire wheel couldn't fix. (another great place for a "during" picture right...just use your imagination again)
    A couple of coats of primer and black paint later.
    [​IMG]

That's it. Not much but wanted to get an update out.

CBB

daddio211 and MrModelT like this.
  24. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

It's been a while since we last updated the thread. We haven't given up and have been busy working on the car. Just been to busy to post updates... But I'll try and make it up with a long one.
    To start with we took a step backwards and removed the Rear window panel from the car.
    [​IMG]
    This was for two reasons.
    1> it's cold where the car is. It's not in the wood shop.
    2> there a bunch of little nails that hold the wood around the window to the sheet metal. It's easier to remove them at bench top level.
    Once the old wood was removed from the sheet metal. The light surface rust was removed and the sheet metal repainted.
    [​IMG]

Using the original wood parts as a pattern we created a new replacement from white Oak.
    [​IMG]
    The cross bars have 2 curved sides the back and the inside. Makes what we thought would be an easy part much more complicated. But It fits.

[​IMG]

With the rear window taken care of. We started on the rear quarter windows.

I've mentioned before that my father was helping with the wood on this car so Here he is Russ Maley everyone.
    [​IMG]
    Like everything the original wood parts were the patterns.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After getting it all cut and test fitted everything gets a good sanding and a couple of coats of indoor/outdoor Polyurethane.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Shop is wood heated so at 70 to 80 degrees (F) it doesn't take long to dry. But I give it a full few days just to make sure.
    When it's done and installed... It looks Nice. (crappy Cell Phone camera doesn't do it justice!)
    [​IMG]

I hadn't planned on sealing the seat frame but after the other wood looks so nice I had too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That gets up to date on the current status of the wood. The next thing to tackle will be wood for the roof. We don't have much of it to use for a pattern. Just a couple short 2 foot sections. That will help with the profile, but not with rear curves or amount of arch. We've got some Ideas on how to do this so I'll try and get photo's of the process to share along the way.

As always let us know what you think and If you see a big error.

Thanks,
    CBB

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

That looks really great guys! Gives me hope for doing the woodwork on my Hupmobile!

I don't see any issues. Unlike most wood frame cars...you shouldn't really have fit issues... As it is a steel structure with wood for tack strips.....not a wood structure skinned in steel.

26. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Hey!

I'm an old OLD member (age 38) of the Model T world. Some of my first pics are riding in my dad's 1921 Model T Roadster that had JUST come out of a 47 year slumber (1929-1976). I took my drivers license in that car, and still have it to this day.

Near the end of his life my dad was helping a guy called "Dave" build up his hot-rodded all rustified 27 Pickup. It had the OHV setup (8), dual Stromberg 97's, and could FLY (Warford AND a Ruckstel).

To this day I weep when I think how at 22 I sold my 16 Open Valve Head setup. Ah to be bathed in petroleum as you round the corner at 55......

Anyway....

I still have the remains of a 16 touring (no body) but all the running gear. Original engine, ignition etc - that we rebuilt still in storage. Been sitting since 2001 (fired the engine for the last time in 2003). You're getting me edgy to get to building something up out of it. I need a rear end, and a body of some sort - but the engine has less than 2k miles on it (Rebuilt from Texas T Parts).

Just as an FYI I got our old 21 roadster (Chug) running again two years ago and drove it down to the SE part of AZ. On the way back the replacement Chinese Distributor (20+ years old) Sheered off on the gear portion - I had JUST replaced it THAT WEEKEND with one from 30 + years ago. First time since it came off the assembly line in August 1921 that old Chug had to be TOWED home. That sucked.

But these newer parts you are speaking of astound me. Any good links?

Ryan

27. vintage_mpg

vintage_mpg

This is great. Keep going! We're rooting you on!

28. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Ryan,
    At 38 myself We're Not OLD Yet.

as for new Parts
    I've been using (not in any order)
    Lang's Old Car Parts
    Snyder's Antique Auto Parts (Close to home so if I need it in a hurry I drive over)
    Mac's Antique Auto Parts
    Texas T Parts

For Original Old Henry made Parts
    Model T Haven - The Guys here are have fair prices, know a heck of a lot about T's and If it's out there they have one.
    We also scored the warford on the local Craig's list site.
    The other great source of Parts is Right here on The HAMB. Probably the best prices and nicest folks.

All the wood parts well those are hand made. A lot of suspension parts we also hand made. Tried to keep the "New" parts to a minimum, but had too in some cases.

Clayton and CptMoney...Thanks for the words of encouragement.

We're working with this Motto
    "Never Give up, Never surrender!" (Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest)

MrModelT likes this.
  29. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Just found this build! Great work. I just sat and read the whole thing. I love some of your ideas.

30. MrModelT

MrModelT

These are all good sources for new stuff. I have also never had an issue with T Haven.

CBB....I so love that movie... :D