Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I'M GOING TO BUILD AN ALTERED.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Oct 4, 2014.

1. pnevells

pnevells

Don, Fun is what nostalgia racing is all about, it does not matter how fast you go , we all just have a good time with our hot rods, more pics i just got from Todd Dziadosz for an early christmas present for me, now go cut some tubing.... beaver july 20141.jpg

2. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Cool ride, nice video, thanks for sharing!

3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

$550 !!! I luckily picked one up in England for $200 :cool: Who would of thought it.
    Sue says hi and is looking forward to our next visit, not sure when it will be though,

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Steve, it was a really mint dash with all the chrome, gauges, and all that stuff and looked like new. But we knew you were looking for basically the bare dash, didn't see any of those.

Ok, I did cut some tubing today. Since I have decided to go with the 4 bar for sure, I have gotten a lot of suggestions (thanks all). Ron Pope told me it would be best to put the front 4 bar bracket directly in line on the frame so that all the force is centered on the rails............made sense, so today I cut the side rails to 45 degrees each so that the kickup is now at a straight up 90 degrees. That way I can butt the 4 bar front bracket right up against the kickup and weld in in place there.

To get the two side rails exactly the same length, I slipped the front round crossmember tube straight down through both pieces of frame tubing, clamped it all together, and then cut it on the bandsaw. But doing that they are identical in length and the cuts are identical.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I slipped the two rails into the body and put jackstands under it all so I could see how it all worked out. With the front tires resting where they will finally be, my wheelbase is right at 100 inches.

[​IMG]

Now that I am moving the coilovers directly under the frame rails (instead of outboard of them) I picked up about 5 inches and am able to tuck the tires in much further. People are also telling me that a narrow rear will tend to keep the car going straighter than if I had the rear tires more outboard. I think the look is a little better too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does this make my ass look fat ??? :D:D

[​IMG]

Don

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

7. I just heard vroom-vroom and tire squeelie sounds coming from Florida... ;)

8. Nice parts, great progress. You really have the ITCH NOW, huh Don!

9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I agree with your friend Ron Pope.

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Cool thread....

11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That rear looks so good! And almost a little naughty to :cool:

Keep at it!

12. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

there is a reason why dragsters have narrow rear ends. it's not just aerodynamics.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It's going to be a while until I have some updates so I thought I would explain where I am on the build. Christmas day my Sons and I went to the shop and brainstormed on how to proceed to the next step of building the frame. We came to the conclusion that instead of having the rear end assembly built to fit the frame, we need to buy the rear end and 4 bar set up and then, when it comes, build the frame to make it work.

To help the cause, both of them kicked in money for my Christmas present so that I can now order my 9 inch housing and 4 bar setup from Autoweld.:) Doing that for me blew me away, and I actually teared up when they handed me the Visa card. Sooooooooo, here is the rear end I am going to order when Autoweld reopens from the Holidays:

[​IMG]

I am also going to get their 4 bar setup to fit the rear end, and then we can design the frame rear section to best fit it all. It might be a little stronger than I need right now, but I will never hurt it, no matter what engine I end up with. I won't have any progress to post until they get it built and shipped to me, but thanks for all the advice and interest in the car so far. I'm going to have lots more questions as we go, and will need all of your help on those.

Don

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahh, the perfect Christmas gift ! That sounds like a good idea to me. And that rear end should stand up to anything you may power it with . I'd go with 35 spine axles to keep it all bullet proof.

15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Wow, that is awesome of them to do that, now patience waiting for the arrival of that brown truck. :rolleyes:o_O

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

OK Don ..... now you have done it. Since your going to step up to a killer rear end, you have got to get one of these to go with it :rolleyes:
    imagesLZWS9SSK.jpg

Glenn :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. That's really cool Don and all the best for 2015. JW :)

18. Those two boys of yours, Dan and Don Jr. certainly spoil their Dad but you deserve it aye Don. Damn nice Christmas gift and certainly bets a new pair of undies or those socks I spotted them looking at for you..:eek:o_O;);)

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Today I got a chance to meet Paul (pnevells on here), who owns this really cool altered:

[​IMG]

He and I spent a couple of hours together and I picked his brain on what works and what doesn't work on an altered. Paul is one of those super nice guys you meet who you immediately feel like you have known forever, and he has been a drag racer for a lot of years, so I learned a lot. Thanks, Paul for the info and encouragement. :)

I'm still hung up, waiting for Autoweld to do my rear end assembly, can't really do anything until it arrives. :(

Don

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

100_1808_0001.JPG I have a really nice pair of Mark Williams axles (35 spline) that take the Ford bearing ends
    Bearing flange to bearing flange 27 1/2" and overall 32.5" flange to flange $375

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Those are about 5 inches narrower than the ones I need, but thanks for posting it anyway.

I just got the new issue of Hot Rod DeLux and they are building an old schoolish altered in it. I see my friend Ron Pope got some ink in the article, they bought a lot of their front end parts from him like I did . I feel almost famous ! :)

22. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I second the fuel injection idea. When I was drag racing, stepping up to a hilborn set up was night and day difference over a carburetor on a car like an altered.

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

This engine I have will not be the last motor to go in the car, I'm sure. It will work fine for my initial purposes, and should run fine, but, knowing myself, I will want more and more speed, so maybe a 383 or other motor is in it's future.

Then again, this one may just scare the Bejesus out of me enough that I will stop there ! :eek:

Don

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am sure it will for the first few runs but it wont take to much time to catch up with it.

25. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

It was worth a shot--never know until you ask

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, thanks again, wish they would have fit, a really good price for sure.

Don

27. Heck Don, sounds like you have a dose of the Drag Strip Disease that has no known cure already if you are already talking about replacement engines.:eek::rolleyes::cool:. Now I know why I avoid the local drag strip too as I'm scared that I may pick up that bug...;)

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've been cured for over 30 years, Whip, but I had a relapse ! ;);):D

Don

29. I'll be following along on this build. Over the last several years I've been thinking about how much fun it would be to build a vintage drag car likea T, Anglia, 37-39 Chev Coupe.....Just about anthing.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. This belongs to a friends co-worker. They've had the cars several years, as is, and I believe the project is still stalled. I think it's time to check up on it again.! I tried to research it a few years ago and did not find much, mostly going by the WISE super shops and Chevy Tee information.

[​IMG]

enloe and volvobrynk like this.