Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any thoughts on the baby nailhead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Dec 18, 2014.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

Does anyone have experience with the little 215 nailhead? I'm thinking of using one in a project. Any
    Words of wisdoms from the hamb?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk and flyingbrick like this.
  2. Use good head gaskets for it. I had a 62 special 2 door while stationed in Germany in the mid 60s and both gaskets leaked. New head gaskets were expensive and hard to get over there so I just kept adding water when it got low.....every day!
    The olds 215 had a little better setup with 5 head bolts per cylinder instead of the Buick's 4 bolts but modern gaskets and a surfacing of head and block surfaces will be ok.......good top-end power with it's little short stroke and has a nice exhaust note.

3. aircap

aircap

There's a baby nailhead?

4. JimSibley

JimSibley

I'm thinking blown, very little boost, open headers and a 4
    Speed. 2 storm bergs on top.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes and no. The aluminum 215 cubic inch V8 that was introduced in 1961 model Buick Special, Olds F 85 and Pontiac Tempest, was built in two configurations. One was a Buick version with heads that looked just like a 'nailhead', i.e. Verticle valve covers, but there were other differences, nonetheless a strong family resemblance. That version was also used in Pontiac Tempest in 1961/62. The Olds version had.....guess what....heads that looked just like big block Oldsmobiles. 1963 models Pontiac got an iron 326 vid V8 of typical Pontiac appearance.

In 1964 models, the Buick got an iron block and 300 cubic inches, but still had the aluminum heads (iron in '65/'66) with the nailhead appearance through 1966 as I recall. Olds got a new engine for '64, a 330 cid iron V8.

Ray

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  6. Many parts from the Buick v6s interchange. I wouldn't call them a nail head though, they were the beginning of the new v6s. (just had too many cylinders at first) They later became the Rover v8 and I think topped out at 4.8 liters in the Range Rovers. The only bad thing about them is the funky bell housing pattern that is an orphan. Lots of them have been stuffed into MGs, some from the factory! (MGB-GTV8)

7. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

In the early '60s Racer Brown did a 215 Buick with the 215 Olds pistons(different dome shape gave 10:1 compression) added a factory 4bbl manifold & carb, one of his camshaft & lifter kits & open exhausts & dynoed approx. 220 to230 HP @ 6000 Rpm on pump gas...@ streetable to boot!! I think it was in Hotrod magazine somewhere in'62-'63.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

They're very popular as Rover V8s and were in production until about 10 years ago. They're in all the junkyards in Range Rovers and Discoverys. Tuning parts are available from the UK.
    Their advantage is they're very light.

9. donbatey

donbatey

As edwardlloyd said, there is masses of info on the Rover V8 which is essentially the same engine.

10. Dan LaGroux ? is the person to contact. look for his ads in Hemmings motor News. a blower manifold was made by Mickey Thompson, my son has one, but it is not for sale,

11. After 52 years of messing with engines that have no rocker arms or pushrods(flatheads) I decided to expand my horizons(branch out) and would choose the aluminum 215 Buick/Olds and use a stroker crank for more cubic inches.There is a network of these engines around and one can attain 1 h.p. Per cubic inch and they are very light(300 pounds or so?). I have a very unique INTAKE for one of these engines if anyone is interested; uses 2 S.U. Looking carbs(actually Zenith) mounted sideways with the backs of carbs facing each other. flatheadjohn47 Texas 979-595-7324 cell.

12. dechrome

dechrome

I put the Olds version in my 39 coupe in 74 and ran it into the mid 80s. Great engine, it was sold to someone in Ok. Later a friend built a Buick version for a vintage sprint car. We made a U-Fab manifold with 4 Holly glass bowl carbs. Car was sold and is in Pa.?
    dechrome

13. Caught a lot of your posts lately......and really like where you're going. I can't wait to see you stand this place on its head. Again.

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I plan on using one in my Fiat/Simca, and was lucky enough to score a complete runner. My luck continued when a friend got me a complete stick setup. They have a great sound and decent power. Another plus is the oil pan is very shallow on the front, making for plenty of clearance. IMG_4965.JPG IMG_5003.JPG

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419008827.660097.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419008862.676685.jpg
    I have a 215 Buick in the Futurian , I made my own blower manifold for the 471. I have yet to run it, maybe some day

chopper99 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419009043.481073.jpg

17. That sounds like the MG intake.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. I think he is talking about the aluminum engine, maybe I am confused.

At first I thought that he was talking the 322 built in '54. It was a good engine for its time, I know the Ol' man liked the one he stuffed in the Willys truck when I was still in the oven. he was still chattering on about it on his last Birthday with a bunch of his crones.

My nailhead experience is 364 and bigger. So no help from the skinny kid. Sorry

Edit:
    Bad info or memory, the '54 motor was a 264 the 322 didn't come around until '55 or '56.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  19. Oh my....maybe just a trailer ball, is all you need. Pull that pretty motor around behind you. Wow to both your car and its waiting engine.

20. I have heard that you can bore the cast-in liners out of the block and press in new ones to gain bore size. Someone did a write-up in one of the car mags (might have been Kit Car) outlining the way to get to 5 liters and how to rework the heads for bigger valves, etc.
    BTW, I think the Buick 300 crank is a stroker for the 215

21. Some guy had 2 of them for sale cheap on my local Craigslist, but unfortunately I can't post that stuff here.

22. LAROKE

LAROKE

While I appreciate the tech achievements of imports, there are few that I would care to own. My friend, Dave Smith's '52 MG TD is one of those exceptions. It has a blown aluminium Buick 215 "nailhead" (as mentioned previously, it looks like a nailhead but the valve train geometry is different) hooked up to an aluminum case Borg-Warner T-10 four-speed and a narrowed Chevy rear end IMG_0237.JPG . He doesn't open it up often but when he does, the 1900 pound ride really scoots along with a most pleasing rumble.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I have one that's been sitting along time, I was consider rebuilding and using. my research led me to the Rover V-8's (link to widipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine ) has some good basic info.
    I was considering buying a new rover engine and rebuild using older Buick exterior parts. I believe some old aluminum casting had some issues

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

A few years back , I put a 215 into an MGB . The car is a real sleeper - looks totally stock from the outside , but the engine is warmed-over with a T-5 behind it , running back into a narrowed posi S-10 rear . The car is a real hoot !

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. earlymopar

earlymopar

You're correct Steve. Using the 300 crank and aluminum heads with a few other mods, you end up with a very light 5 liter V-8 (well-before today's modular engines got there). The 300 heads are not easy to come by but still out there. A lot of the home built aircraft guys use them too so we have some competition for parts!

- EM

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. metal man

metal man

No. It's not a nailhead at all, different engine family. The valve covers are flat ( only on top), so they get called that sometimes. Neat little engines.

27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The MGB V8 manifold had the carbs breathing from the rear. The normal Rover manifold had the carbs sideways and angled up slightly.

Rover:
    [​IMG]

MGB:
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure about North American specs but elsewhere these engines were some of the earliest to use SU HIF6 carbs, which are wonderful carbs to use on blow-through supercharged applications. Even the factory set the MG Metro Turbo up that way.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. JimSibley

JimSibley

So, if I rebuild one stock, balence it, match port and add a blower spinning under to produce 3-4 lbs of boost and run it through full length exhaust should the little guy stay together?

29. Jim, I think you would be OK. I would look at aftermarket rocker arms, the stock alloy ones could be a problem

30. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Funny, I just saw this on eBay:
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/111551385831?nav=SEARCH