Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Head removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fender1325, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Fender1325

Fender1325

Quick question. If I wanted to remove the heads on my 331, would it be safer for me to heat up each head bolt with a torch before just to make sure none get wrecked off?

Whats the standard protocol when dissasembling an old engine?

2. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I would not heat up the bolts. that runs the chance of warping the heads. just loosen them the old fashioned way, with some elbow grease. you might have to get an impact after some of them if they are on there tight.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not unless it's been sitting outside a long time. I've taken 2 apart and never had a problem. If you do run into some that don't want to move, you should use the penetrant of your choice before you use any heat. As stated, an impact is very useful.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm not sure why, but i have never had a problem removing bolts. Had lots of problems removing studs. And i have pulled lots of heads. At any rate the head of a Hemi head bolt is so far from the threads that heating in would be of no help, IMHO. OH. Looked at your picture. You have the other 331. Still I don't think it will help.

5. Slopok

Slopok

Be sure to use a 6 point socket so you don't round off the bolt head.

i.rant likes this.
  6. fsae0607

fsae0607

Get yourself some Kano Kroil, too.

i.rant likes this.
  7. Fender1325

Fender1325

Ok cool. Not in any hurry to remove them just for future knowledge. Thanks guys

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The real joy will be the exhaust manifold studs or bolts as the case may be.

9. George

George

And I like to use an impact socket, if one will fit, to reduce chance of wrecking the socket.

10. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

I have taken 26 apart and used the impact with no problems. The big arm wrench will work as well.