Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Straight six in a Model T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chessterd5, Dec 16, 2014.

1. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Hello everyone, this is the first thread I've started on the HAMB. I'm in the process of putting a 300 cid. Ford straight six into a 1927 Model T coupe & I'm looking for any & all pictures about putting a straight six into a Model T. I don't care, chopped, unchopped, channeled, hi-boy, don't matter, I just want to see it. It can be chevy, ford, Chrysler, flathead, slanted, I just want to see cool street T's with inline sixes, any condition. thanks!

2. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

It's pretty long engine. I originally had a 302 v8 in it & when it died I looked at the six. It shares the same bolt pattern & it has speed equipment available & I know they used to run big sixes alot so I said why not. I know its unusual but I like it. Thanks.
    I'm just looking for pictures to give me ideas for the build & any help would be appreciated. thanks!

3. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a couple social groups for inline 6 on here. You may be able to get some more direct input from one of them. Good Luck

4. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

That is a long motor. You're going to have to stretch it a lot.

5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I've got some experience trying to put one together, but I've got that build on the back burner at this point.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/modified-lakester-build-preliminary.751582/

We will need to see pictures of your build.

What frame are you on?

This is an existing car that you're trying to drop this into or are you building/re-building?

I ask because the big six is LONG. I want to say about 32" depending on where you measure it.

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Just because it can be done doesnt mean you should.....will be too long in the nose..look like shit

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

There is a risk of this, but I believe it can be done with a coupe, however the proportions and wheelbase will need to be adjusted just so to accommodate the extra inches needed in the engine bay.

On an A frame, a spring-in-front rear end setup should provide room to pull the body back far enough. If this is a built car already, you'll need to relocate all your controls.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Ok, @chessterd5 is this the same Tall T you've been working on for a while? Yeah, you need to move the body and rear end back to get the 6 out of the cowl on the T frame.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. I think that looking like shit is probably a matter of opinion. I have seen old photos with inline engines in about one of everything. I personally like the look for a V configured engine because of its compactness but that is my own personal opinion.

A long time ago there was a T with a twin cam Maserati running around San Francisco. it looked different to say the least.

Anyway so much for all my BS, I will be interested in the build and yes you no doubt will have to stretch the frame or move the radiator to the trunk.

10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

When I last mocked mine up, I had my firewall located at around the body mount brackets on the Model A frame. That put it at about 36" from the back of the front crossmember. It could probably have come forward but I didn't have a radiator in there for reference at the time.

[​IMG]

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

A buddies car from the Phoenix area... A subsequent owner put a small block Chevy in it and ruined it. This was a 200 six. 00M0M_bBS4nbqzf4U_600x450.jpg

The Andregg and Carvalo GMC 12 port terror "T" from the late fifties and early sixties... 1385719_720329361392015_8379871719549120359_n.jpg

And another I found on here somewhere. 2.jpg

Now, opinion time. If you are considering this in a full fendered mode, STOP! It WILL look like ass, or be completely undrivable, your choice. If you are thinking fenderless, study close the Andregg and Carvalo Car. No more wheelbase than is needed to do the long engine, and just a touch of set back into the fire wall, which will be a bit easier with the room of the coupe on your side. Note also, the Halibrands on that car are 16" with a fairly tall tire, which helps bring the length of the car into proportion. With a shorter tire or 15" wheels, it would look like a freight train, as would too much chop if it had a top.

Grimpala, Tman, juan motime and 11 others like this.

12. If you look at the TerrorT you will notice that the firewall is moved back just a smidge from original. it is an easy mode, the firewall is just moved back enough that the bolts are outside in the engine bay as opposed to being under the cowl on the inside. This is a very old and common hot rod trick, a lot like reversing the firewall on an A. It gains you about an inch to an inch and a half on a '27.

13. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  14. here's one I saw in Laughlin.
    [​IMG]

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Here is an image of one of my favorite race cars. There were lots of 6 banger track racers back in the day. The firewall is nicely set back versus recessed. Gary
    0709rc_03_z1924_ford_track_roadster.jpg
    WowCowl.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  16. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

if kay sissell is still around, that could help. i believe he used to campaign a 6 cylinder "t" back in the day.

17. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Here's a 26'-27'. By the size of the side covers, I'm guessing it's running a 292 Chev/GMC.

Attached Files:

18. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is mine. 170 Pursuit Engine with a Toyota 5 speed gearbox behind it.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Unfortunately, Kay Sissell has been gone for about twenty years now, although his company lives on.

6-bangertim likes this.
  20. GTS225

GTS225

and here's my freshly titled, plated, insured and unfinished build.
    I opted for a Mopar slant, and yes, they do look a bit long out front. I had to shuffle the radiator shell a couple inches forward, as well as move the body backward, but it did fit out rather decent.

[​IMG]

21. I like it.

22. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Hey guys, thanks for all the pictures! Anybody got any more?
    I guess I should have been more specific, I've already installed the six in the coupe. And yes it did take a little doing.
    It's got a 109.5 " wheelbase if I measured right, with about a 4" channel (whatever the width of the frame is?) & no chop. I like tall T's. And yes the engine is very set back into the cowl I'll have to make my own firewall. I think I can install a mustang radiator in my T grille shell up front? I'm thinking a east coast look with bobbed fenders in back & cycle fenders up front.
    I'd love to see any & every picture, thanks!

23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

image.jpg I built this bucket if bolts a few yrs back. 238 AMC. Ran great.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    Dyno Dave, volvobrynk and patmanta like this.
  24. fat141

fat141

Taken at Santa Maria, West Coast Kustoms, 2008.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rod

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Now that's cool.

26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The Ford 300 six shares the same mounts as a 302 v8 and the difference in length is about 1.5".

Look under the hood of a couple 80's pickups the 302 has a 2" fan spacer the 300 has a 1/2". And nothing else changes..I have swapped a couple in and out of older pickups.

starbucks and volvobrynk like this.
  27. I know that car.

28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

More pictures of this, it looks alot like a Volvo B30 with 3 2v webers and a hardcore header! What an great choise!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Hey guys, thanks again for the pictures! I'm learning a lot. I think all these cars are cool. Anymore? I would think this would be a popular swap like during the 50's you know right between the flathead & the small block chevy?

Keep 'em coming if ya got 'em! Thanks!