Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 33 - 35 Axle to Spindle... Is This Right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailheadroadster, Dec 16, 2014.

1. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Hey fellas, I need abit of info here.

I recently got a front axle and spindles and am curious about the distance between the two and what configuration of washers, felts and shims would be required to make up the distance AND exactly where would they would go?

Also, does the bearing go on top of the spindle directly below the kingpin?

Pics would help a bunch!

Thanks in advance! Dave
    1418749302337.jpg

2. Yes, on those, the bearing goes on top of the spindle. You do have the right kingpins, with the brake cup, correct?

3. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Thank you.

I am using my 1929 Model A kingpins. The spindles have new bushings and have been reamed for the kingpins.

Any thoughts on what takes up the .177" between the axle and the spindle?

The axle measures 2.365".
    1418751569728.jpg

4. alchemy

alchemy

I've never seen that much space between them. Does the axle or spindle have any indication of wear?

That said, you could probably still just take up the space with shims. The kingpin kit will come with some very thin ones, but you will need to source something much thicker. Make sure to assemble the kingpin with it's locking pin and then see where some of the space needs reducing. Nothing tight between the axle and kingpin though, as the spindle needs to be supported by the bearing only.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

July sedan 015.JPG The bearing goes between the bottom of the axle and the spindle.. The washer and felt washer goes at the top of the king pin.. Click on pic for larger size...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  6. In the top pic, the bearing is NOT inserted. Won't that take up the extra space (.177")?

7. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Before 37 the bearing was on top of spindle

I have heard of maching 28-36 spindles to accept a small Torrington bearing , but I have never seen one... It's possible that space just may fit a bearing of some kind?

8. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

As far as I can tell from my research, the bearing goes between the brake actuator cup of the king pin and the top of the spindle. As shown here.
    1418764226813.jpg

I thought the shims would then go between the spindle and the axle. Then below the axle, the felt washer cup, then the felt washer... but the cup and washer are not .177" thick... sooo.... :confused: Do I make a metal washer to go between the felt washer and the spindle?

9. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like your pic of that 36ish assembly shows a thick shim/washer between the lower side of the axle and the spindle. Did your spindle kit come with anything that thick?

I've never put together a bearingabovethespindle kingpin kit, so I don't know where the felt goes. Guess I'd better shut up.

10. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Nope... no thick washer, just four .010" shims in the kit

11. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Here's a pic of a 34... supposedly stock. I see the washer between the lower side of the axle and the spindle, but it doesn't look very thick to me... kinda like just the felt washer retainer.
    1418765105743.jpg

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Wow!! I learned something today.. Sorry for the misinformation...

13. Put it together, including the lock pin, the hold the spindle against the bearing. You can then tell how much gap is on either side of the axle. Shim on top of the felt retainer to keep the felt tight on the lower spindle eye; but not enough to take any weight off the bearing. Then shim the top side of the axle to minimize any play; but again not to take any weight off the bearing. There is usually only room for the felt and retainer cup; but wear from use with worn bearings and bushings over the years can open the gap

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Thanks Rich! Great advice. I will do that and report back.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I didn't know that either. I thought all Ford axles had the bearing under the axle and on top of the bottom part of the spindle. Live and learn.

Don