Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I bring home this free shoebox?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, Dec 13, 2014.

1. randy

randy

haha. Well, apparently I'm outnumbered...guess you better go grab the damn thing. @deto

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A rather cool old car for free, hell why not ? :) By the way a 4 door car is not a "crew cab" :rolleyes:

3. Better hurry up and go get it before your boss mentions it to another opportunistic co-worker and it disappears fast. HRP

49ratfink likes this.
  4. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

If you don’t get it I am sure the owner will scrap it just to rid it from the property. It is a TooManyDooredSedan but believe it or not there are guys out there that want one. Save it from destruction, get it registered then sell it.

5. If you have to ask you don't need it! ha ha You might also want to read up on starting an engine that has been stored especially since it is loaded with rats nest.
    Go over to the sister site & find out more on 50 more door withV8 & OD & California car.
    U-haul has plenty of trailers for rent. That would be sitting on my before the ink to print this was dry. Good find get it & have some fun getting it going.

6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Once you're given something it's yours to do with as you wish. I would go get it,evaluate and decide from there.
    What's the hurry once you pick it up? Good luck,looks decent.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Why would the question of "should I get it?" need to be asked? It's free? You may have a spot to put it? Do you have it home, yet?

8. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

ARE U ON THE WAY YET

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

exactly. when you are giving away something that has value because you just want it gone it is first come first served.

a friend of mine offered a big ol compressor to another friend for free. 3 weeks later the compressor is out front of his house for the neighborhood clean up day where the garbage man will take big stuff, so I took it. then the other guy calls me and says "I heard you picked up my compressor for me" .... I had to correct him, and told him no, I picked up my compressor for me.

that was 10 years ago and it is still kicking ass in my shop.

10. deto

deto

I'm working out the details now. The owner is now starting to do the dance of "well it does have SOME value to me" so now I'm playing chess...

11. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Man, I hope you've gone and got that thing by now, if not, what in the world are you waiting for?

12. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a thought...

50 shoebox ranchero 2.jpg 50fute1.jpg

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  13. deto

deto

I think the owner is getting cold feet now.

14. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Hell, I would offer him a hundred bucks or so, make him feel like hes getting something for it. You'd still be steelin' it, and theres still room for profit.

15. williebill

williebill

The owner probably Googled it, and found this thread. You're screwed now, should have gone to get it, then bragged about it on the HAMB.... AFTER you got it home.

clem likes this.
  16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

He who hesitates.........:(

17. deto

deto

Agreed

18. deto

deto

Yep. All hope is lost. I'm sure the first thing he typed in when looking for the value of his car was "free shoebox" and this was the first link that popped up.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  19. deto

deto

I wish it were that simple. There are a lot of moving pieces here.

The new owner lives by me (6 hours south of the property the car is on)

The old owner lives a few hours north of the property.

So, I am trying to get all parties there at the same time, so I have permission to not only be on the property, but to take the car itself from the legal owner, as well as drag it out of the barn and load it onto a trailer..

And the guy who is being generous is my boss. Our company is fairly large, and does quite well, so the last thing on his mind the week before Christmas is "let me go drive 6 hours with this guy so he can get a free car"

Trust me, I'm trying...

20. Like williebill said. You should have got it for free and then told us....:D

21. Not that this will help....but...I recently added a derelict vehicle to my auto policy with towing. A car washing, a 30 day in transit tag, an air tank and a phone call....got me 60 miles closer to home. Had to pay a small over mileage fee.....55 mile limit.

As soon as the car arrived, I cancelled the policy. 35 dollars. lol maybe not for a 6 hour trip....but far enough off that dude's place to your waiting trailer.

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Don't give up hope yet ...

23. It's a '50, the push button door handles tell me so. '49 had pull-out door handles like an old refrigerator.

24. Been tuning in to this thread on and off to see if you got it!
    Good on ya for being patient, hope it pays off

25. Rob68

Rob68

26. deto

deto

So my boss might be head up there this weekend. I'm trying to meet with the old owner of the property/car as well to see what he needs to let it go. I will keep everyone updated

27. indianhead74

indianhead74

Free over Good the old man used to say. Yes, bring it home or flip it to a HAMB brother

28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek: Hi deto.Best of luck to ya.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

29. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Is this some sorta trick question?

30. brady1929

brady1929