Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 49 Buick sedanette build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ausbuick, Oct 18, 2011.

1. EBW

EBW

Looks clean to me ! Keep at it !

ausbuick likes this.
  2. ausbuick

ausbuick

Cheers mate

Check out my 49 Buick sedanette build

3. ausbuick

ausbuick

It never fails to amaze me the people I have got to know through this build, the help and generosity that I have had so far has been incredible.
    Today I got these new engine decals from my buddy over the pond Tommy, If you ever come to Australia, I'm your chauffeur, thanks mate. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408007531.132719.jpg

Orn likes this.
  4. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

Great work man. Keep it up!

5. 1950_Buick

1950_Buick

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

7. ausbuick

ausbuick

Not just yet guys sorry!

8. Fender1325

Fender1325

Man this build looks awesome. A 49 buick sedanette is my dream car. The roadmaster. One day!

9. Marco Creane

Marco Creane
    from Australia

Hi guys, I am looking at doing a driveline update to my 50 jetback and whereas I see the engine/ trans part of the job undaunting I see the rear as a problem and you can't do one without the other because of the torque tube setup. Bearing in mind I live in NSW Australia and therefore I am limited in what can be grabbed from a wrecking yard in regards to the rear. The reason for a change is the rear ratio is terrible, my gearbox is a manual and it steers like a pig....the car is not pleasant to drive full stop ( I am a Cadillac owner ). I have installed tube shocks and the front end is tight so that aint the problem...anyway I digress.
    Does anyone have knowledge of putting a four bar setup in one of these ?
    Just to add that no, adapting a th700 is not going to fix the problem as the rear will still be there and so will 1 ton piece of cast iron engine.
    thanks for any help

10. 1950_Buick

1950_Buick

I have the 50 jetback as well and I too am updating the driveline. As for the rear end, I am putting a Ford 9" in with a 4 bar/link rear suspension with a panhard bar. I got the kit from Progressive Automotive. http://www.progressiveautomotive.co...spensions/parallel-4-bar-rear-suspension.html

You can see the pics of the items on my Facebook build page. When I get to that part I'll post pics of the installed rear end. https://www.facebook.com/1950BuickSedanette?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

bengeltiger likes this.
  11. Marco Creane

Marco Creane
    from Australia

Just curious, I wonder if you could utilise the existing lower trailing arms and just add upper ones ? ( plus panhard) also could you keep the rearend and have a new tailshaft made to fit or does the odd way that the pinion mates with the existing shaft make this impossible ?

12. ausbuick

ausbuick

Hi
    I don't think so they are connected yo the torque tube.

13. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a late 80's Caprice rear end in my 49 Sedanette. Cut the stock trailing arms lose from the 49 drive shaft and rear end, grafted the Caprice arms to them, used the Caprice front bracket welded to the stock frame rails and swung the grafted trailing arms out to attach to the brackets. Kept the panhard bar.

ausbuick and LONG like this.
  14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. Cool car, do'in a real good job.

16. 1950_Buick

1950_Buick

from what it seems like, you can but by the time you do all the work it's not worth it. The arms rely on the torque tube so you'd be gabbing a new mount position just like the 4 link. What's making you keep the original engine? From my perspective I think it's better to upgrade the full driveline due to better performance, more reliable, and less maintenance.

17. 1950_Buick

1950_Buick

came across this video that you might be interested in, (if you can get past the sound of his voice!)

18. LONG

LONG

hmmm, wonder how much ground clearance there is with these?^^^^^

19. Waldoz

Waldoz

Any updates on this build? It's looking great!

20. ausbuick

ausbuick

G'day
    Sorry guys no updates been busy with renovating my house and selling it. I plan on getting back into it in a few months no hold ups I hope...
    Cheers

21. EBW

EBW

Looking forward to the progress when you get on it ! Hurry up and sell that house !

ausbuick likes this.
  22. Haha ya hurry up! :D

ausbuick likes this.
  23. Ivan Cadorin

Ivan Cadorin

Did yo find a RHD Dash as i am building the same car and i need the same dash before i chop the original in which I do not want to do

24. ausbuick

ausbuick

G'day
    No go on the dash. From what I have heard the rhd dash is a rare thing, I spoke to a bloke in nsw and he had a rhd super 4door parts car, he didn't end up using the dash for his road master sedanette as they were a bit of a patch job from the factory and he cut and shut the lhd dash his build was in restored cars magazine.
    I decided to keep mine lhd dude to the gearbox. I found all the other components to convert it so one day maybe but for now it stays as is.
    Cheers Darren

25. morac41

morac41

Hi Ivan You probally wont find a RHD dash for you car as its very rare here in Aust ..have you tried the South Africa Buick club.... if you want to convert your car RHD you will have to find someone to do it or do it your self...I have converted all my LHD cars and done the dash boards my self... It takes patience ...make a jig to sit in so it cant move and take plenty of photos before you cut any thing....If there is any die cast pieces that need to be cut and re-welded ask around chome platers as the have access to specialized welders that could weld pot metal..best of luck.....

26. morac41

morac41

Hi Darren Have you shifted yet.......Doug

ausbuick likes this.
  27. ausbuick

ausbuick

Not yet doug
    Auction is on the 20th

28. jnr49

jnr49
    from australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Great Build, any updates and there is a buick collector in ballarat, think his a big part of the buick club, ill try to chase up his details, he might be ale to help you out if needed.