Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats really wrong with 4 doors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by asher, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slammed

slammed

What is wrong w/4 doors is the arrogant 2 door owners attitudes.

koolkemp likes this.
  2. fortynut

fortynut

This question is not about the actual physical aspect of the automobile. Doors are simply a functional aspect of it, and because the eye decides if something looks good, design certainly makes the issue contestable. Some 2dr. designs suck, just like 4dr. versions do. Certainly, this is simply an opinion. Opinions like assholes and bellybuttons vary according to the owner/user. We tend to like what we were told was good, and the notion is like a habit, instead of thinking about the answer we already know it, or at least we think we do. This is also known as 'conditioning'. People, like certain animals can be trained to react from having been taught to do so. Advertising has a great deal to do with our attitudes, as well as 'peer pressure'. As far as 'fat chicks', there was a time in past history when they held sway, and were the ideal. Only because of the picture magazines, movies, and TV has that ideal changed. Women are still women, and I would suggest that when men treat them like objects they tend to lose out on what the whole man/woman thing is about. Our culture is the result of a conglomeration of hidden hints that shape not only who we are but what we think we think. I have been trying to buy a Forty 4dr. for several years, and keep trying to get the owner to part with it. I grew up around bootlegger cars that looked like stockers and ran like stink, so what a car looks like is a matter of opinion and what it runs like is not. Fast is always fast, and weight is good in some cases, check out Bonneville cars, for instance. My brother had a '56 Chevy 4dr. back in the sixties with a built motor and Muncie 4 speed that further changed my opinion of the question of what's cool. In the county in Mississippi where I grew up, there was a local group of bootleggers who used older Olds 4dr. sedans that were given later engine transplants with go-fast goodies and beefed up suspensions. Maybe that, too, altered my perception of what really constitutes a 'cool car', but one simple fact remains, we like what we like, and express opinions as if that was a rule everyone should follow. My thinking is that you should keep an open mind, listen to your own thoughts, and decide for yourself. And, yes, I've bought hardtops, two doors, coupes and other cars based on the fact they didn't have 4drs. so, don't put me down as being in one camp, or the other. Deuce 4drs. also are on my list as 'cool. And, I would take a 4dr. '55 Chevy in a heartbeat. And, for those who don't know, a Rolls needs 4drs. to be really cool, because who wants to drive oneself to the opera? The real cachet of uber cool is having a chauffeur, or in the future a car that drives itself. Or maybe that's a question that trumps how many doors you choose for your conveyance? Home James.

GeezersP15 and Arabie777 like this.
  3. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

4. chopped

chopped

For the generation that grew up thinking a four door was a "sports sedan"

5. prpmmp

prpmmp

Absolutely Beautiful!!! Pete

i.rant and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. X2
    That's a mouthful

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    Special Ed likes this.
  7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The early 30s cars look ok with 4 doors. But if you look at the early 60s GM 2 door hardtops with roof lines like convert bows you can't tell me that is not a very superior look over the 4 door.

8. image.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER and Maverick Daddy like this.
  9. prpmmp

prpmmp

Double post!! Double post!! You used that on another thread!! Thats against the rules!!(not) :eek: Pete

10. Lmao, it's so damn funny. I laughed so hard I about pissed my pants when I saw it, yeah it's a little funny on its own but when you think about this place and these kind of threads I can't stop laughing. Probably could post it in every thread and it will fit just fine :)

11. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I hate it!!

12. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

My 58 Belair that I just sold at the Louisville Nationals last year. 327, 350 turbo, duals with glasspacks. It was a fun car reminiscent of the late 50's-early 60's. Not everybody had 2drs. back then. Yeah, I just posted this on the 58 chev. thread as well. Sam

13. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Sorry, I forgot the pic.

Attached Files:

14. belair

belair

What's wrong with Rosanne Barr?

15. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I don't know how old you are but wagons have been cool with the surfers and some hot rodders in SoCal since the '60's and probably before.
    I drove a '52 Plymouth 2-door wagon while in college in Santa Barbara, CA back in '63 - '64.

surf.jpg woodies.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

From what I've seen on the HAMB there is nothing wrong with 4 doors, they make great 2 doors.

Only had a couple of four doors in my life. Always felt odd, like there should be somebody in the back seat. Should have invested in some blow up dolls. Besides the ones at home.

Special Ed likes this.
  17. I don't do 4-doors unless it's a certain model wagon or early 30's sedan.

18. Not a thing, she's a nice lookin' fat girl. :rolleyes:

I'll bet these guys thought 4 doors were cool as hell.

[​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Terrible80

Terrible80

Oh Jeezzzzz, is right! 2 doors are cooler than 4 , 99% of the time. But, those exceptions that make it not 100% are great cars. And someone with vision and talent can make just about anything cool!

20. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I just realized the word COOL has only two O's.

prewarcars4me and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. Ya know I am not normally big on psychobabble but this train went off its rails at least 100 posts ago so why not. here is something to think about, if you own or are thinking about owning a more door and have to ask the question "What's Really Wrong With 4 Doors?" it is probably a good time to rethink your strategy.:confused::eek::rolleyes:

22. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

While some of you are kickin the crap out of 4dr. owners, I'll let you take another shot at me. Here's a pic of my 64' Belair mor-door wagon.

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. indianhead74

indianhead74

younger people seem to appreciate a four door car because that's what they grew up in and can afford right now. As an older fella 2 doors is just right . . Not so fond of converts, Always seemed like the rich kid or sisters had them. Build what You want or can afford.You can learn a lot building anything

24. What's wrong with a 55 Chevy with 4 doors?,,,on both sides? :D HRP 55_gary_esse_madison_wi_2.jpg

GeezersP15 likes this.
  25. It is what it is,
    if you love your 4 door -great,!
    if you have a 4 door cause it's all you could find or afford and are determined to have fun anyway - fantastic! X2

There's a good reason (several actually) why 2 door will bring more $. It's worth more any day any way always
    What would people tell you if you told them that a $ 2.00 bill was as good as a $5.00 bill, or that a nickel was better than a dime because it's bigger. Wouldn't they scoff ?

Special Ed likes this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well I have a more door 65 chevelle. Do I think its cool not really. Do I care what other people think not really. Would I have bought if I could have yes. I have more work and time in this car than most that I own. I have cruised the coast with it ran it at the last nostalgia drags in Wentzville Mo before it closed and ran it at the Bonneville saltflats (tried for the 130 club and only got to 129.6 ) guess if I only had two doors I would have made it. p_00011.jpg

27. The falcon wagon with all the surfboards & women is in fact a 2 door!!

28. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

I drove a 1947 Dodge 4 door for several years Not a show car and certainly not a hotrod, but it was old enough to get me into the NSRA events so I could get close to the cool guys and there beautiful hotrods. I probably had more fun in that sedan than any car I ever owned. In a weak moment I sold a dang good 80,000 mile original to a picker, and just that quick my car was gone, The money went to finish my hotrod. Picker sold it to an older couple, like us, and I just hope they enjoy the car as much as I did.

29. Most of the woodies are 2 doors as well.

30. Splitting hair's,all the woodies before 49 were 4 doors. HRP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.