Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 1933 Ford 5w coupe from a 4 door sedan...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks Mike! Glad you are enjoying my build. Stay tuned I got the trunk hinge mount figured out and the chopped roof will be next!

thanks Skater!

Thanks!

2. Awesome build I just bought a 37 Plymouth 4 door that is going to stay a 4 door, but this is amazing work! Jim

3. trey32

trey32

Lets see pics of the trunk hinge mount!!
    Are you using original or repop hinges??

4. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

You're welcome! I too enjoy seeing all the cool builds people are working on. I'm not real good at typing so my descriptions may be short at times so I try to add alot of pics to show the process. trying to document everything that is going on with this build.

Thanks! I'm tring to use as much of the original metal I can. It's 80 yrs old! hate to throw any of it away! Ha ha!

Wow!, thanks for the high praise! I learned alot of what I know from watching others do their cars.To create something from scratch It does help to be able to visualize what I want to make. Sometimes it works,alot of times it doesn't,but either way I learn from it.

Thanks Pumpman!

5. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 002 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 005 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 009 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 010 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 007 (Small).jpg Finally got my trunk hinge mounting figured out! For those who are not familiar with 33-34 Fords,the trunk hinges are attached to a brace that starts at the trunk rain gutter and ties into the support for the roll-down rear window. I don't have any of these braces nor do I plan on a roll down rear window so I had to make my own mounting. I was also needing to fabricate some body braces and I decided to tie these two together to help support the rear 1/4's as well as support the trunk lid when open. Initially,I was going to tie this into a rollbar but decided against it, I can still add a rollbar if I want to. Bolted the repro hinges to the deckid and then shimmed the decklid in the opening.. once I had the decklid where I wanted it,I started on the hinge support.Cut a piece of sheetmetal to fit across the back of the body. Clamped in place and marked where the hinges were. Drilled for hinges and bolted the piece in place. Hard to see in pics the piece is tied into the body just below where the rear window will be. Also,fabricated a support that runs underneath and ties into the rain gutter.As stated before,I built a set of rear body supports which tie into the rain gutter and the hinge mount I used the bead roller to add a recess for stifness..I also added a set of stiffeners to the hinge mount to help resist any flex in the panel when the trunk is opened. Not yet installed/fabbed is an X brace to tie the rear body supports together to add stiffness

31Vicky with a hemi and trey32 like this.
  6. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thank You for appreciating what I'm doing without bashing me for cutting up a 4dr.Build what you like!

There you go Trey!.Repop hinges..

7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

man that looks so good.! I bet it helps to have other 5 windows sitting there to look off of.. Nice work

8. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks! Yeah,it doesn't hurt having one to look at while piecing this one together!

9. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 002 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 005 (Small).jpg Got the X brace put in today. Laid out my bead lines for the recess and screwed it up so I had to do it again. My el cheapo bead roller didn't have a deep enough throat to do the design exactly the way I wanted,but it came out OK for me..After taking a few measurements and checking the decklid fit,I realized the body rear half was a little out of square. Broke out the come-along and got her squared up before I tack-welded the panel in place...Getting real close to starting the ROOF CHOP! HELL YEAH!

brEad and hipster like this.
  10. That looks great man !
    That's a damn big panel to roll like that with that vise grip powered roller :eek:

11. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks 31vicky! Sometimes you just gotta make do with what the good lord gave you! Ha ha! To run a panel that big I had to stop several times and either reverse the dies or flip the panel over. Making sure I kept track of how much tension I used to keep the depth of the bead the same. Like I said,I messed one panel up before I got it right.
    That cheapie roller isn't great by any means but it does work on small,thin stuff.

12. Lookin' good man, that "X-brace" looks damn fine! I have a cheapo bead roller similar to yours (Woodward Fab) they work decent for small stuff and the price was right when i got it. Keep up the good work.

13. pumpman

pumpman

Working with what you got, that's the way to do it. It's pretty obvious we don't have to tell you to keep it going. Man on a mission.

14. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks for the compliment! Someone gave me that bead roller because they said it was junk. But hey, I've got no problem using someone elses junk! Just look at those 1/4s! Most sane people would have scrapped those too!

Adapt,improvise and overcome..isn't that the basis of hot- rodding? Yeah, I'm on a mission..I got to get this on the road before Oct. 2015!

15. Any idea how much you're going to chop it? It is turning out killer!

16. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks Hueso! Well,it's gonna be about 6-1/2" chop. Keep in mind a 4 dr. Has a 1" higher roof than a coupe. So really about a 5-1/2" chop Kiwi Kevin style!

17. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Hard chop! Love it. I'm chomping at the bit!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Patience of a saint and forearms like a mule to do that panel with that equipment! Love that effort!

Keep the pics coming!

19. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

Beautiful work! Ill be borrowing a few fabrication ideas off of this one.

Cant wait to see the chop! Gonna lay the windshield back any?

Joe.

20. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Yeah KoolKat!..Hard chop..

Ha ha! I don't think I have either of those.!!.Just sheer determination to try anything once and stupid enough to do it a second time! Thanks!

Thank you! Yes sir Big Joe! gonna lay the windshield back!

21. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg Here's a little crude look at what I am thinking.. some cardboard,tape and a blanket thrown on top to help the visual..This is about a 6-1/2 chop over a stock sedan..It will get an angled windshield. But I gotta say the chopped top threads don't even come close to showing all the work to accomplish this! Hats off to the guys who have done it! I'm still trying to figure it all out in my head.Good thing I have 2 spare cowls if I screw it up!

1952B3b23 likes this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Hell yes! yes!

"I need my mirror boy"

23. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

It's coming man! Chop it hard. I regret not taking mine down another half inch. Are you going to be using the 4 dr roof or do you have the back part of the coupe roof?

Brad

24. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Damn! That bracing looks awesome george!

25. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 002 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 007 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 009 (Small).jpg No better day than today to get choppin'!! I was a little apprehensive at first but then I said WTF! lets do this already!First issue was where to cut the doors for the angle chop without having to cut the corners of the door latches off! 33's need the upper corner for the mechanism to work. A little studying and measuring and I think it will all go back together withoutscrewing up the door latches..to the B pillar,took a few measurements and found the best spot to remove 6" out of it..Will probably cut it another 1/2" but its a place to get started.. Not sure about the top hinge location.May relocate it higher or remove the center hinge?Tacked the B pillars back on and threw the roof back on to see what we got..I think it needs to be a little lower and angled toward the front.. I got to check the rules but I think 8" of windshield is required so I can run this heap on the salt someday.

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Ha,ha! Heap he says.

"I need my mirror boy"

27. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks for the encouragement! as you can see above,its already begun!.. But I think it'll be down another 1/2" before I'm done..Gonna try to use the rear of the 4 dr. roof but it will require alot of re-shaping.

Thanks Andy!

28. dtracy

dtracy

That's too much! A little less please.

Thanks, Dave.

29. Love it ! and the smell of fresh metal grindings.