Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One of the old Fred Meyers. The REAL Freddies were great, true one stop shopping, EVERY product there was in one store, hardware, clthes, records, books, jewelry, you name it , plus groceries! NOT like todays Fred's ( owned by Kroeger) at all!
    Some had rooftop parking.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  2. GREAT SHOT!
    I also remember drooling at the House of Hardtops lot on Union Ave. Corvette city!
    I think Smed's Automotive was almost across the street.
    Those little car lots on Union, 52nd and 82nd were cool and had some good stuff!
    Thanks for posting!

3. 296ardun

296ardun

Great shot...I think the restaurant owner bought the B-17 for a tiny sum from the field where it was going to be scrapped , flew it to Portland, and mounted it atop his restaurant...I seem to remember that recently it was removed with a huge crane and is now going to be restored...anyone else know

4. 296ardun

296ardun

The ship with the twin funnels painted yellow and blue (black on top) was an MSTS troop/dependent transport, designated T-AP (AP was personnel transport, the "T": meant it was with the Military Sea Transportation Service)...I spent almost two years of my Navy time on one of these, the USS General William Mitchell (T-AP-114)...it was miserable duty, sailed 100,000 miles a year hauling troops, dependents, dogs & cats, etc. across the Pacific. The only way to get off such a ship was to volunteer for duty in Vietnam, which over 50 of us did when that option became available!...I would love to know which of the MSTS transports this is (they were all decommissioned and sold for scrap).

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  6. The story is quite interesting. Art Lacey and his buddies flew the surplus B-17 from I think, Oklahoma to Troutdale airport, not being rated on a multi engine aircraft and NEVER having flown a B-17 before! In other words....they winged it!
    Trucked it to Milwaulkie. It's being restored, a long and costly process for an aircraft that's been outside for that many years.

7. Slopok

Slopok

Gary, shouldn't you be out sandbagging o_O?

8. Suns out today!
    If Van Nuys floods, it will be the end of the world!
    Besides, I grew up in Oregon! Rain? They call this rain? HA!

9. Slopok

Slopok

Keep postin then. We enjoy it.

10. Well, I wish more people would post!
    I probably shouldn't say it, but after the uh, ...meltdown by mods over the thread, I think people are just afraid to post. Ryan is a reasonable and GOOD GUY, as long as folks use good judgement, there is no reason not to post.
    I sound like an old crank I gueuss, but it's not possible to understand today if you don't understand yesterday. History is invaluable, it's the sum total of everything humans have done.
    Enough philosophy, sorry. POST AWAY!

Maverick Daddy and 4tl8ford like this.
  11. cavman

cavman

If I had old interesting pictures, believe me I would post 'em. But like many here I am in awe of those you put up. Thanks again!

12. Well thanks.
    But I have to say again, 99.99 % of these pics are just taken from the web. A few research skills help, but Google IS good ( at least for this, they SUCK as a corporation)!
    But thanks again.

13. Caddystew

Caddystew
    from East Texas

Here are a few ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418521218.923263.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418521235.759191.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418521246.875792.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418521260.110770.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  15. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

You were lucky, as a child, to have caught salmonella. Much better than what you have caught later in life after the strip club opened.

16. Caddystew

Caddystew
    from East Texas

My father at 1 year of age. 1926 on uncle Fred's pickup
    Every kid loves a pickup ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418522012.534571.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418522027.334877.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

NHRANUT likes this.
  17. troybert

troybert
    from muncie in.

this thread is the first thing I look at before starting the day, we enjoy looking at whats in the background and the quality of the pictures please keep them coming, thanks

18. Interesting! I'm a huge fan of the Navy, I'll search NavSource some time to see if I can figure out what ship this is. As a kid I was awed by the Reserve Fleet at Tounge Point ( including, I think Iowa) on the Columbia River and the row after row of ships at Tumwater ,Washington. I posted on another thread about loving to go to the dismanteling yards to gawk at surplus as they tore down the WW2 Navy. Clear until the 1970's! At one point I remember 5 inch gun barrels stacked like cordwood.I visted a bunch of ships in the 50's and 60's as my Dad was a machinery kind of guy ( though he was USAAF in WW2).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  19. LOVE YOUR STUFF!
    I wish more would post their local history.

20. Fuji

Fuji

Being a middle ager (by what I see here on this site, and the fact that I just turned 55.) I love seeing the pictures that have been getting posted recently. Thank you to Gary Reynolds, and swi66, and all the others, great photos. I do have a question or 2, maybe 3. First is there a site that has pictures from then and now, of the same spot, or vehicle? Where can one find more of these photos? Last but not least, I have wondered many times just how many of the cars, or trucks have we seen in a damaged state after that picture was taken in another picture, right here, on this thread

21. Google my friend! Try both the web and images, and use different combinations of words to search. It makes a huge difference in what you results you get. Trial and error is the only way.
    I don't know of any specific sites that have what you mentioned, BUT...I'm sure you can find what you want if you are persistent and creative in searching in any case I guarantee you will find tons of interesting stuff, things that may be OT here, but are amazing and cool!
    Experiment, see what you find.

Fuji likes this.
  22. 296ardun

296ardun

Google Earth is another venue...I have yet to find out if I can copy a location on "street view," but when there are photos posted near the site, you can copy them...that's what I did on my post of the Royal Laundry above..I have used Google Earth to find out what is a the location of many of the old speed shops, hot rod manufacturers, machine shops, etc......if there is a way to copy off Google Earth street view, please school us!

23. The car behind the Stude is a Lincoln.

24. 296ardun

296ardun

Gary, good point, it's not that hard to find old photos with cars, etc...the mods have been good about the pictures as long as they have old cars, trucks, etc. in them...most cities have a historical site that has been digitized, and local libraries often have on-line photo collections (the Los Angeles County Library is a great example)...

25. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I think this thing ( Lacey Lady) is supposed to see the air again for real some day.

26. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

My wife and her little sister with Santa.

Blue Kathy and Candy with Santa 001.jpg

27. Crudbro

Crudbro

Dean Termite.jpg Portsmouth Speedway, Ohio 1956

Trojan Horse and Gary Reynolds like this.
  28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

29. swi66

swi66

30. swi66

swi66

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.