Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Hot Rods to Hell" Corvette build finale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Utahvette, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

kQQl Brotherman kQQl

2. Utahvette

Utahvette

Here's a couple of shots my good friend Mike Harrington took a few month's ago. Absolutely Beautiful. The location has the look of some of the movie scenes. In the end this project took about 5 1/2 month's to complete. Still with all the cost cutting I spent between 10 and 15 thousand total on the thing but it was a blast to build. So far only the most hardcore motorheads have recognized it . Not exactly your most mainstream movie I suppose. I did take it to Wendover for the little car show they have at the State Line Hotel during Speed Week and a guy comes rushing up to me and says " This is my favorite car of all time, I watch this movie at least twice a week" Now that fits my definition of HARDCORE! I took two steps back. :D The car drives quit well , the ride is even comfortable. The front uses the stock springs so it's fairly soft and the rear, even though I put an additional leaf in isn't bad. The exhaust note is very deep and throbbing unlike the movie car . Sounds Badass. The engine is probably equivalent to a 1970 LT-1 power wise , 360 ish Horsepower. It pulls good and hard. I'll get some bunout pics and post them sometime. Thanks everybody for your kind words and taking the time to check out my build. vette-3-web.jpg vette-4-web.jpg

3. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

The car is awesome ! You have brought back a lot of memories to a bunch of not so young now car guys .

4. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Build the movie Roadster so you and a buddy can terrorize the greater SLC area

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

5. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

6. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I like all the cheap B Movie hot rod movies. And all the cheap Sci-Fi B movies. The best entertainment.
    But Hot Rods to Hell is the best of the bunch.
    You did a great job with this build and pulled it of Real Cheap to boot. and in only 5 months !
    Congratulations on a great build.

7. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Thanks for the education! I was unfamiliar with this movie (and, therefore, the car). You did a fantastic job with it!

8. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

So, was it a conscious decision not to put the peak in the center of the rollbar? Just curious. :)

9. Hot Rods to Hell - Duke, Gloria, & Ernie in \'58 Vette.JPG

"Duke" (the driver of the Vette) was played Paul Bertoya ... He died in 1997 at the age of 59.

"Gloria" (the girl riding on the Vette) was played by Mimsy Farmer ... She is currently 69 years old ... and living in France with her (second) husband: sculptor Francis Poirier.

"Ernie" (the guy riding shotgun in the Vette) was played by Gene Kirkwood ... He is currently 69 years old ... and is still producing Hollywood movies ("Nina"is to be released in 2015).​

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

We enjoyed following along with this great Hot Rod story.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Excellent build, a great way to treat an old Corvette :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

13. Patiently waiting for those burnout pix

RileyRacing and volvobrynk like this.
  14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I couldn't have said it better

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  15. biscaynes

biscaynes

nice work, turned out perfect! thanks for sharing the build.

16. Great thread, love the car. Thanks for taking the time to show us the journey.

17. Great job. The terror has been resurrected.

268B45DA-B979-415A-A7CE-191E86781394_zpsbl45cwkl.jpg

kiwijeff, chevy57dude and volvobrynk like this.
  18. Utahvette

Utahvette

The bar is peaked , just not as much as the movie car. It was a choice made purely for aesthetics. I thought it would match the curve of the windshield frame nicer. It's also about 4 inches shorter in height so it doesn't 175.JPG look to much like a clothes rack.

Peanut 1959 and volvobrynk like this.
  19. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Aah, I see it now!

20. Dana Andrews would be shaking in his shoes!!! Awsome build, great pics, incredible car. Now you need to make your own Hot Rods To Hell movie.

21. Looks bitchin', great quality finish, I have enjoyed reading this thread.

That T roadster in the movie is owned by HAMBer lucky_1974.

22. Jamie -

Actually the T roadster in the movie is the old Gary Heliker car ... the T that @lucky_1974 now owns turned out to be the old Mike Lopez / Ray Lisea roadster.

Note however that the black '29 A roadster that appeared in the movie was built by L.A. Roadsters member Sam Conrad ... and is currently owned by @Old Rod.

Old Rod\'s \'29 Roadster in Hot Rods To Hell (Still #4).JPG

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    kiwijeff, loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  23. rascal55

rascal55

Thank you ! Awesome build and movie !!!!

24. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

Great build! Just puts a BIGGER cool in the car hobby!!! HRD

25. Król

Król

Excellent!! Congrats on a job well done!

26. elgringo71

elgringo71

Fantastic build and 10-15 is nothing for an early vette project these days. You can't even buy a complete builder car for that. This gives hope to those with big dreams but small pockets and is way more interesting than a restored car. Thanks for all of the scrounging tips in this thread and looking forward to seeing the burnout.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Holy Cow,you work fast!

I am not a big fan of Vettes but your recreation of the one and only one that has ever peaked my interest is outstanding!

It sure would be cool if you could get together with the two Hamb members that own the roadsters that were in the original movie and engage in some unscripted highway mayhem. :D

BTW,we are patiently awaiting the smoking tires! HRP

loudbang, enloe and volvobrynk like this.
  28. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I'll come over and take the picture of the burnout if you want. My wife got a new camera for Christmas...

Utahvette and volvobrynk like this.
  29. billsat

billsat

The two guys in the Corvette in the movie look like accountants instead of thugs - I wonder how Hollywood would portray theses guys if the movie was remade for today's market? At least they wouldn't have any trouble finding the Corvette again, because you already did it for them. Nice work, the car is just perfect.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Isent accountends just thugs with manners and suits? :eek:

Please post more pictures, of this bitchin car!