Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats really wrong with 4 doors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by asher, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I have said this before on other posts, but I got more "Snatch" in the back seat of my Dads 1960 RAMBLER 4 door than anyone else in high school...
    And yes I was a popular Jock too....so don't give me that popular crap...
    A lot of the 2 door guys were just plain nurds....
    Just saying.... :) :) :)

2. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Oh geeze is right, it really depends on the car and how it's built. Old thread same responses. People defend what they have or what they can afford.

Scooterville likes this.
  3. Maybe it was regional ? I don't know because I wasn't everywhere. Where I was 4 dr cars were never taken seriously.

Is that like saying-
    the only people who think 4drs are cool are the people who own 4 drs?
    I think it might be. I had a few 4 dr cars, cheap transportation but not a hotrod.

4. wicarnut

wicarnut

What ever floats your boat, you can hot rod anything ! I think the 4 door stigma comes from us old timers,our parents had 4 doors and the Kool cars were all 2 doors when we were young, today there is a ton of Kool 4 doors that future generations will Hot Rod and Tuners will be at car events down the road, things change and the HAMB is about history, I chose the nostalgic stlye for my (Rods) rides, time will tell and Hot Rods of some shape, form will always be around.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  5. Fleetside

Fleetside

Depends on the car. I bought a 4 door 66 Chevelle for a parts car. Butt ugly, and the 2 doors are great looking. Nothing could make that 4 door look good.

6. Yeah,4 doors suck! HRP

[​IMG]

i.rant and barett like this.
  7. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

my preference is 2dr.. but 4 is fine too. the only 2 dr i still have is a 52 buick. all the rest are 4 dr.

8. I just bought a four door 37 Plymouth I would normally agree with the two door side, but I really like the four door better in this Car just my opinion . I guess it comes back to build what you like to make yourself happy and enjoy everyone's work.
    IMG_20141206_121201.jpg

Hdonlybob likes this.
  9. Well, 4 drs make great coupes I see :)

10. Dr.Know

Dr.Know

Beautiful example on how to hook up a 4 door

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

11. There are many car enthusiasts who deny themselves the joy of owning and driving an old car simply because they cannot bring themselves to own a car with two extra doors. 4 door cars are not hot rods- but they can make a great cruiser or highway road car. If the car is safe, solid and reliable- buy it drive it and enjoy it( and anyone who dares look down their nose at you because it is a 4 door can Get over it!)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Arabie777 likes this.
  12. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I think the younger generation doesn't care as much if the car has 2 or 4 doors(my young nephews). Some of us older guys were more into car looks. We would say: Daddys car or taxi cab. But then again put two perfect 57 Chevys side by side for sale. Which one brings a higher price?

Ago

13. scotts52

scotts52

Opinions are like...well, you've heard the rest. Everybody has one. Anyway, I have pondered this question many times as 4 doors are definitely less expensive. However, for most body styles, IMHO, the styling is just off. There are some pretty good looking 4 door models as well though. Each car depends on the styling as to whether or not a 4 door will look cool. The times we grew up in carry a heavy weight with them. I personally would rather have a 2 door vs a 4 door. With the exception of some of the 20's and 30's car which can look way cool either way. I grew up in an era where nobody wanted to be caught dead in a wagon. Now wagons are cool and even I have come around to liking most of them. I appreciate the effort that anyone puts in to saving an old car be it a 2 door or 4 door. They all have their place in history and the lives of others. For those not liking the 4 doors, just keep moving. There's plenty of old cars that I don't like either but I will not hate on those that like them. There's enough negative in life as it is without all of us cars guys hating on each other. To each his own. Enjoy what you got.

low budget likes this.
  14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Well said I agree.

15. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

16. Another killer 4 door,anyone that doesn't like this doesn't like well executed and custom built hot rods. HRP

[​IMG]

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Kevin: Good point. Wonder how many folks figured that out?

18. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Great family cars… But for looks 2 doors are best.

19. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

20. Yeah, 4drs are like fat chicks.
    Some fat chicks are pretty, fat chicks will try harder, you can always put a fat chick with a great personality on a treadmill.

AHotRod likes this.
  21. Special Ed

Special Ed

Obviously, there are exceptions. There are exceptions in damn near any subjective topic, and pretty much always have been. Myself? I'd give MOST pre-war cars a pass that have two too many doors. Post-war? Not so much. Post-war moredoors were the standard "family car" for far too many decades to simply give 'em a free pass now. Again, there ARE always a few exceptions ... ;)

X38 and T.L. like this.
  22. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

'Depends on the year & model. "Suicide" 4-doors are cool. Early '60s Lincoln 4-doors are cool.
    I know a guy with a '41 Studebaker 4-door that's cool car.
    Most 4-doors are just plain ugly.
    At least shave the handles on the extra two doors.

23. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I soldtry 2 door shoebox last year - sure 2 doors look better but sure is a pain to get in the back seat for my girls or to work on something back there. I got a '52 more door now and love it - girls can get in a lot easier, piece of cake to work on whatever back there now too.
    If you don't like the looks of a 4 door- then don't look at it!

Arabie777 likes this.
  24. My deceased buddy got more snatch than I ever thought possible. His fool proof secret was this -"if walk into a bar and ask 100 women if they want of fuck , I might get slapped 99 times". No drinks, no small talk just "hi, wanna fuck" . On to the next or out the door. Now I've not seen him go past 20 before he was headed towards the door. He also had Zero standards no morals and no taste. Left with some damn ugly ones and didnt care.

25. jkluge

jkluge

Its because many of the hot Tod community is an older generation who grew up in times where 4drs weren't cool. Look at now the 4drs are coming out as hot rods already, impala SS, Charger RT, all the euro stuff, G8 just to name some. I think its a generation thing.

I have a 50 Merc 4 doors and I have a set of 2 dr doors and my dad want me to convert it to a two door. I however an on the fence. Only reason I would like to is to change the value of the car.

26. You might maybe possibly bump the value but it will absolutely cost more for the conversion than could ever be covered by the bump

27. deto

deto

Hahahahaha!!!

28. I look at a new Charger and say WTF, it's a 4dr. I certainly wouldn't own it as a sporty car. Growing up in the 50s and 60s 4drs were definitely family cars or taxis in my mind. Americas sports car, the Corvette never came as a 4dr did it? I did know a guy that cross bred a wrecked Charger R/T with a 4dr Satellite, He was newly married with one on the way, and found a compromise that was usable as a grocery getter and ran hard on Sunday.
    In 1973 I was looking to buy a new car (had a Pinto in mind) and my dad suggested I go with a Pinto wagon, best advice he ever gave me. The back seat rodeos would have been hell in a Pinto coupe.
    I don't think I would give serious consideration to a 4dr as a project car, but then again I wouldn't consider anything but a 4dr for my family car. 2dr, grandkids, carseats, ugh!

31vicky, so that's where I went wrong, I had standards, no snatch, but lots of standards!!!!!!! LOL

29. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

An old guy brought up in the age of 'only 2 drs are cool', and following the crowd I've now owned dozens.
    Yet always, on just about any pre-1935, I prefer the funky look of the 4 door. ....with a Hemi, or other bad ass big block hanging out, don't need or even want any 'everybody's got one' weeny 2 door.

My dream ride is an unchopped, blown Hemi powered '33 Plymouth more door.

30. I'm mostly on the two door side, but I will admitt to liking the idea of a fenderless, chopped four door Deuce.
    Since four door cars are cheaper than two doors, I should be able to pick one up cheap, :D jk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.