Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Has anyone over 63 ever FINISHED a project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jan 1, 2014.

?

I FINISHED a car Project after I was:

Poll closed Jan 8, 2014.
  1. 65

88 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. 70

20 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. 75+

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. 2old2knowbetter

2old2knowbetter
    from Ottawa, ON

If finished equals drivable, sure. (I'm 64)

Tony Martino likes this.
  2. ray seelbinder

ray seelbinder
    from carbondale

I'm 60 on paper, but my mind and body are 25, stay fit , eat right , chase women , build , built ,BUILT...

opunui and Tony Martino like this.
  3. Finished my roadster when I was 65, now sold, but more than 1/2 way with 34 pickup. Both hemi powered of course.[​IMG]

4. carguy699

carguy699

I am 66 and finished my 58 ford this summer. I did the work myself in a 1 1/2 car garage 011 (2).JPG

Tony Martino likes this.
  5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just finishing up another 40 coupe and looking for the next project-will be 72 in a couple of months. I try to do one about every 6-9 months-have done 14 since 03 and helped friends with 5 or 6. Being retired I need something to do.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    vtx1800, Tony Martino and 40fordtudor like this.
  6. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

My bud and I finished the 40 in 2010---I was 68. Then I drove it 800 miles to Texas. When I got to TX I was 68 going on 19.

Tony Martino likes this.
  7. dad is finishing up his 56 and he is late 60s. Only thing that will stop him (paint touchup) is if it sells first.

8. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First, I am 70, I just got the 38 Chevy back on the road this summer after it sat for almost 30 years after being put together the first time. It needs some tweaking but I can drive it just fine.
    Sitting next to it in the shop is a 49 Ford (yeah, the one in my avatar) that I am wiring, plus it needs glass and the interior redone. What does age matter? One of my father in laws told me that the only time age matters is when you are running uphill:) Having a project gives you a reason to get off your arse and head to the garage. Which is where I should be now!

Tony Martino likes this.
  9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Probably more people over 63 finish cars than people under 30...

10. flathead4d

flathead4d

I did. It took me almost four years working in the garage. Did everything but the paint. I'm over 70.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm 71 and I am closing in on finished with the latest update to the roadster if that counts. Last update was about 4 years ago. They are never "finished"

Tony Martino likes this.
  12. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

You have every right to brag ! That is amazing !

13. Larry T

Larry T

Now there's something to think about, if for no other reasons than experience and finances.

14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Finished my 40 coupe at 66 and starting my 40 sedan at 70. 40 sedan at the start.jpg

100_8574.JPG

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Well, I'm 60 so it looks like I've got a few years before I can even comment ;)

16. I am not sure if I have posted on this thread or not looks like an old thread and I am only about 60, but I do know quite a few older guys that are still building and enjoying the hell out of it.

I thy not to surround myself with people who build checkbook rods. I guess it is hard to not think that they are the whole world if you are working in a shop that caters to that type of rodder.

17. I have a buddy that is 65, never built a car. I helped him a lot, but he started in july with a bare cowl and we built him a roadster pickup, hes just buttoning up a few last things but will be done for Christmas. Its not high end, but if he wants to paint it and clean it up, its above a RR. Seeing how he only has about $1000 into it, hes happy as a clam. This was taken 2 months ago, so it now has lights,grill, new rims and rubber (well, new to him). Started with just this (the left one). hamb.jpg 100_2855.JPG .

18. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I will be (71) in February.....and no longer do any big projects.
    I finished this '63 Biscayne a few years ago....taking (3) years to do it...was a major re build...engine, driveline, body, paint, brakes, floors, interior, etc...myself with help from my grandson and a few others in my garage...
    But I did fail to complete this '26 coupester....gave up about a year ago...just too much work for me....sad, but someone else can have it now.. :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

porknbeaner likes this.
  19. OK then I want it. Where am I picking it up at? :D

Check your Private messages or whatever they are called now for a little kick in the pants, and some shameless begging. ;)

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

70 here and still building customer chassis. I do see my self hiring more done on my deuce projects.

21. Hey guys, I just got here and probably don't have much to contribute
    but I'm 64-1/2. So I qualify! I know several 65+ guys that have finished cars,
    if you define finished as "ready for the show."
    However it's all in the definition you put on "finished"
    My personal "finished" is "Get it out of the barn, make it run, make it stop,
    make it noisey and drive the wheels off!
    In my personal case, I'm impatient, hate to take things apart
    because it takes way longer to put them back together!
    I am in awe of anybody who even starts a "full rebuild"
    or "restoration". Some guys just love the building process.
    It is an end in itself. Gotta respect the process and the time
    spent and each individual's reward is different.
    Just my $.02

22. \'36 all done 006.JPG IMG_1502 (640x480) (2).jpg I started and finished these 2 between the age of 60 and 69.

Tony Martino likes this.
  23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 72, and if I don't finish a few of these, I'll leave a shop full. I have finished several minor projects over the last couple of years (fiberglass work and electrical stuff on a couple of O/T Corvettes). I'm almost finished re-doing the paint and trim on my '51 Ford. Once I get this minor league stuff out of the way, then I'm full on with my flathead powered tub (now a roller). I had a major set back this year when I decided it was sitting too high and the chassis had to be dropped 4 inches. I also have 3 flatheads to do. And an Olds Rocket. I really fully expect to get all of this done. That'll probably be it, though.

24. I actually haven't finished a project in a while, not for lack of desire or motivation. My big obstacle these days is a fixed income, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. :eek: But I do plan on finishing at least one between now and when I die.

Here is a bit of advice to some of you younger fellas that are still cuttin' a fat hog in the ass. My income is low because I spent my youth having a good time and did not plan for the future, maybe you should think about it and plan to be in better shape when you get "old".

This is not a complaint and I am sure not looking for a hand out. Just some sage advice. ;)

s55mercury66 and Tony Martino like this.
  25. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I agree Beaner..
    Unless physically unable to do your own work (or totally incapable) bought cars don't do much for me..
    I proudly display this sticker on both of my front door windows !! Biscayne Built not Bought 003.jpg

26. I know a guy that's a paraplegic that still does what he can on his old cars. Sometimes it doesn't seem like much but when you consider that his handicap is pretty extreme compared to what a lot of us deal with he does one helluva lot.

27. birdman1

birdman1

I employ the help of my sons and grandson every chance i get.My 4 year old grandson was out in the shop with me the other day. was pulling on the door handle on my '39 Ford coupe to get inside it. i told him to pull hard, and he got it open. when he sat on the seat, he asked of the Hurst shift lever"is this what makes it go?'. he already loves it!

28. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I saw your 40 Coupe at the Ol`e Marias River Run in Ottawa, Kansas. If the two door turns out like the coupe, You will have another stunner !

29. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I'm too young to vote at 62 but I just finished my latest project, a 38 Chevy coupe gasser. Already about to go nuts with no project in the works but I do have a couple of engines freshly rebuilt. Just need to find something to put them in.

30. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

I finished my 36 at age 66, two years ago. 36 at Baltimore.jpg

Hdonlybob and Tony Martino like this.