Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration BERRIEN COUNTY MICHIGAN

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Maverick Daddy, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY PICS OF THIS AREA FROM THE 1950S TO THE
    1970S?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

3. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Thanx Stu D Baker.....(is that your real name?)haha : ) Thats what I remember it looking like 35 years ago. my family is orig. from there, and I hear cool stories. just want some pics to go with them.

4. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

No pictures, but lots of good memories from the early seventies, at least the ones I can remember! I turned 18 a week after Michigan lowered the drinking age to 18, and lived just south of the State Line. We spent a lot of time in Berrien County, partying!

chryslerfan55 and Maverick Daddy like this.

5. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

That would have been the same time my dad was in the area. He had a green 71 Comet G.T. he hung out in the same areas you did. thank you!

6. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Well, this was a waste of time.......oh well I just wish someone had something, pics, stories, info you can include St.joe, and Vanburen county if you wish too...........any body????????????

7. Dman

Dman

Go on ebay and search the postcards section for towns in that area. There are always ones from my part of the state there.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  8. CayoRV

CayoRV

Hey that's where I am now! Well actually its where a I have been my whole life. I'm sure I can
    dig some up and get them scanned in to the old confuser over the next few days. Are you looking
    for anything in particular? Any certain towns or areas?

9. Not a waste of time, you may just have to wait a little.
    I'm sure some pics will show up sooner or later.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  10. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Thank you to all who responded so far! not realy certain towns, my family was from Benton harbor, St.joeseph, and Berrien springs. however, they lived in Niles, Constantine, and bridgeman as well. Im hoping to find old pics of these areas, and the people that were in them. There were lots of resorts, and attactions in these areas before the 60s. but my dad ran around after Nam. in the early 70's. So, to answer the question, any thing would be great.

11. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

My fathers father, built houses in your area Cayo, hes buried in the catholic cemetary with his brothers in Watervliet.

12. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Take a trip man. I used to go to school out there, and it looks a lot like it did in the 70s. There hasn't been a whole lot of development...

13. CayoRV

CayoRV

Boryca is right, you should take a trip up. Still a beautiful area of the country, especially in the spring and summer. Hell I like the fall and winter too but I'm guessing you might feel a bit chilly anytime other than in the simmer.
    I am sitting about a mile from where you granddad and his family are resting and drive by there every day numerous times.
    I will definitely try and get a group of general photos together for you just give me a bit to get it done as this time of year it seems I'm being pulled a lot of different directions.
    If you come up this way make sure to get in touch, I'd be glad to show you around.

Chuck

14. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

First off thank you for your time. My wife and I visited about 10 years ago, But most of the things I wanted to see are gone. Silver beach, is modern with no amusement park. The house of david is empty, and run down, and we wont even discuss Downtown Benton Harbor.(however I hear its getting better).I will defenately let you know if we head that way.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  15. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Anybody got anything???

16. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

MainStBentonHarb1961.jpg Found this one, Main Street Benton Harbor. Anybody have any more?

alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

I'm looking for anything like the pic. above.

18. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

19. A colorized version of "Gas station in Benton Harbor, Michigan," July 1940. 35mm nitrate negative by John Vachon for the Farm Security Administration.

Benton_Harbor_Gas_Station_cxsm.jpg

20. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Thanx, This is exactly what Im looking for! I do know, this building is a lawers office now!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
  21. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

ok 013.jpg ok 016.jpg ok 017.jpg ok 015.jpg Warren "Bunker" James. Of Benton Harbor MI. My Grandfather. He served in the last horse mounted calvery unit in early 1942, and Was an early television, and Radio star. He passed late last year. in the small pic, He's playing bass for Wanda Jackson.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  22. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

23. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

mabye some pics of 1960s street racing in this area?or what have you? I dont know, I'm just lookin' for somethin'.

24. gas & guns

gas & guns

Try "Waterwinterwonderland.com" pics of old towns, gas stations, drive ins, drag strips, all Mi. pics.

25. Ahhhh Benton Harbor....wife says we are going away to St joes for the weekend. We weren't married yet and I was living in a shitty part of town near Detroit. We take off making the drive down 94. I get off the exit to ST Joe....never heard of Benton Harbor...had a " roll em up" moment...crossed a bridge into St Joe and it was like another world. Told some folks about it and the called it Benton Harlem.....has it always been a rough area?

26. Damn 60 Sunliner.....nice car

27. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

No, hasn't always been that way, before 1963, it was a resort town, with all kinds of things to do. then came riots, and after the 60's, it was over for benton harbor. Theyre trying to bring it back now. I wish them luck, we got the hell out.

28. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

29. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

30. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

a00^old%20photo%20from%20driveinsdotcom.jpg a01^old%20photo%20from%20driveinsdotcom.jpg OLD STARLITE, BENTON HARBOR MI.