Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tailpipes on taildragger

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by StefanS, Oct 25, 2014.

1. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Hows it going everyone. Over the winter I'll be lowering my '54 just about 6" with a static drop (stepped a-arms, dropped uprights, cut 1/2 coil, remove a few leaves and 2" blocks). My concern is hitting the tailpipes going over speed bumps and such. How are you guys that are low routing your exhaust so the tips dont get destroyed?

2. skooch

skooch

3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Notch the bumper:
    [​IMG]
    RussB photo

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    volvobrynk and 60'coupe like this.
  4. volvobrynk likes this.

5. Run side pipes
    [​IMG]

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

DSC_0054.JPG Run them just inside the edge of the bumper using rubber-type hangers. This way they'll ride up and not get squished between the bumper and the road. The bottom will get scratched but they'll stay round.

7. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I was thinking of doing functional lakes pipes but how does it sound? I'm afraid it'll sound like a moped with only three cylinders on each side.

8. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

You could run turndowns just behind the bumper so the bottom off the bumper is even with the bottom of the turndown. I like the look of small duals out the back tho. Just buy a couple extra chrome tips in case you really flatten them.

9. swivel casters on the frame. There is a thread on here someplace.

10. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

[QUOTE="pat59, post: 10742348, member: 1983swivel casters on the frame. There is a thread on here someplace.[/QUOTE]
    What do you mean...so the tips have wheels attached?

11. YOU MOUNT STATIONARY CASTER TO THE FRAME, SO WHEN U HIT A BUMP IT HITS THE CASTERS BEFORE IT HITS YOUR TIPS...

12. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Haha I think I'd rather scrape a tip than jam a castor into the ground and change the direction of the rear end and my teeth

13. The casters are an old trick and they are actually for driveways but I guess that they will also work on speed bumps.

When I still lived in Mexico they had speed bumps that you needed a 4WD to get over and there is a trick that I learned, cross them diagonally.

Eric H likes this.
  14. Geeze oh Pete!!!
    You wanna look cool running too damn low, yeah if shits dragging it's too low. Then you gotta step up your game and figure out that you'll have to do stupid shit in order to do stupid shit. Make sense? I'll break it down a bit then you run with it,

Running too low is the "first stupid shit" that's going to perpetuate the other stupid shit you're going to be doing. Apparently you see Running casters is a secondary " stupid shit" to facilitate the primary " stupid shit". Routing exhaust in a alternate way may compromise and cause some other "stupid shit" like you trying to look cool while sounding like a moped. Apparently you also see that secondary "stupid shit" but can't recognize the primary " stupid shit" causing it. You could replace your scraped and smashed tips a couple times a year but that also sounds like " stupid shit" but remember its secondary. Personally, I'd rather smash my exhaust that tear off a bumper, that would make me kick my self in the ass for doing "stupid shit". Now did you notice that kicking yourself is also " stupid shit" however it's secondary to the primary " stupid shit" of running too damn low.

See how that works ? :)

15. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

How's this for a set of pipes hanging out past the bumper. IMG_20141025_0003.jpg

16. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Yessssss that was great!!! I've actually decided I'm only dropping it around 4" (maaaaybe 5 if I can do it with only a Gambino notch and resulting trunk floor replacement as well as a 2-piece s-10 driveshaft) so I should be ok with the pipes. That'll leave me about 3-4" of ground clearance under my lowest point so I should only have to avoid the most mountainous of spped bumps

17. 327Eric

327Eric

18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Lowered cars are like high heels for men: they're a pain in the ass, but they look sexy as Hell.

bigdaddy13 and The G00SE like this.
  19. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

These are 6" Stainless Echo Cans I've only scraped them a few times. I did notch my rear pan to elevate them a couple of inches. That really helps. My car is not slamed like most on Hamb. I kind of like a slight "Rake".

Rear End.jpg

20. No matter what you think no man is going to look sexy in high heels. :)

Tasteful high heels are indeed very sexy, providing the woman can move gracefully in them.
    Nothing worse than a woman who can't walk in her shoes, so take a guess on what or how I might opine on a lowered car you can't drive.

21. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

How true gentlemen...how true

22. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I'm still wondering how functional lakes pipes sound? Are they super loud exiting directly under the rear window and to they sound horrible splitting the exhaust on opposite sides? Nothing like sounding like a vw beetle in your '54

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what he said^^^^^ had that setup on my old 49 Chevy sedan. turn downs behind the bumper. you could not really even see the tips from behind the car unless you got down low.

24. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I like the tips sticking out about 2" past the bumper.

25. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Let me ask you guys a question...why is a split 235 louder than an open single 235? I have an opened exhaust (all the way to the rear) on the '54 and it doesn't seem very loud but it sounds good and pretty deep. Will the duals be that much louder cause, I want them to be

26. image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Very nice custom touch.

These are bellflower exhaust.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

51 mercules likes this.
  27. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Here's mine back in the 50's.

Attached Files:

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The volume will depend on your mufflers. V8s with side pipes have a very distinctive, grunty sound; they don't sound like a 4-banger but it's very different than pipes out the back. I don't think I've ever heard a Chevy 6 with a split manifold running pipes out both sides, but it'll sure be different.

29. The G00SE

The G00SE

I ran functional lakes on my 50 mercury with a small block chevy. No mufflers or other exhaust. It sounded cool , on the loud side but cool. Not sure what a six would sound like? Maybe you should cross that bridge?