Register now to get rid of these ads!

Robert Mitchum's Thunder Road Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Allah, Oct 2, 2011.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Which car had its rear bumper with plate taken off by the Feds? I think if you really wanted to know, you'd have to find a shot of the rear and pause it. He didn't run front plates.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. cobra_4

cobra_4

Old post but what a movie! One of the greatest of all time! I bet I've watched it two dozen times.

3. ......That's all?:D;)

lothianwilly71 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. niterunner71

niterunner71

I saw this movie hundreds of times, I kinda always thought it was an olds or cad engine but then got to looking online tonight at some stills and for sure its a y block. I want to do a 50 for sometime soon for a "filler" until I get my 40 ford coupe done. If i can get my home equity loan I know of a couple nice stockers with flatheads and I was thinking of doing an old school engine swap.
    But anyway, the reason I always assumed it was a cad or olds was because alot of moonshiners here in the mountain state always said they used cad and olds v8s in fords.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  5. niterunner71

niterunner71

Also I thought I read or heard somewhere the actual driver in the movie was Carey Loftin who drove the badass pete in The Duel?

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  6. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Now let's discuss Mitchum's 57 Ford. Even though the movie is in black and white, does anyone know what color the car really was? I've heard it was red and white but would like someone to verify that. Especially someone who was there at the time of the filming.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  7. 59 brook

59 brook

hello elvis ,is this the one that was sitting in front of the muesum? i remember they had a signboard listing all kinds of hollywood screwups in the movie

8. NSK

NSK

My favorite movie! But when they started the motor I swear that it's a 6v flat head cranking over not a 12v Y block

9. enthusiastm

enthusiastm

10. enthusiastm

enthusiastm

"What color was Robert Mitchum's 1957 Ford in the movie Thunder Road?"
    I strongly believe it was Cumberland Green with Willow Green two tone. I have tried for many years to definitively answer this question using my experience as a photographer, but given the differences in films used it has been almost impossible for me at least. Now I have used a screen shot of the car's upholstery from the film compared to original upholstery swatches to draw a conclusion because only one of the combinations available for the Fairlane 500 Club Sedan matches in contrast.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Wow, You're really into the details. That's cool.:)

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  12. 500coupe

500coupe

towrecker, do you know what color the 57 was ? I can't find out, and you're my best hope since you were around. thanks

13. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

X2 that! What color was the '57? Inquiring minds need to know!!! BTW, the song states "On the first of April, nineteen fifty-four" because four rhymes with "make his run no more". Be a bitch to find something to rhyme with "seven". Towwrecker, we're counting on you.

14. Back up for the fun of it.:D

lothianwilly71, Bowtie Coupe and oj like this.
  15. That post you quoted was the guy's last one..... The mystery thickens. He had three 57's and seemed to be pretty into the research. Now you got me curious. Green and Green or Red and white?

16. philo426

philo426

Wow!not sure what color to paint my AMT 57Ford!

17. .................It's amazing to me that someone can come on here and post only 4 times and then disappear. I could never have that degree of self-control!:rolleyes:

18. Maybe he was bumped or paid off by the guy that owns the "original'..nudge..nudge..wink..wink red and white one. :)

19. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have to agree, back in the late 60's and 70's I drank enough Blue Ribbon to float a battle ship. The stuff now is not even close to what it was then.

bobss396 likes this.
  20. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

When I was in the army in Germany I had a 64 Opel that had a 4 Speed on the column, they were really common over there.

21. So how was the lady ophthalmologist named Dr. Weisenblott?:rolleyes:

22. ..........................That was over 60 years ago. I don't remember too much about the visit. I was just a young lad at the time.:D

23. philo426

philo426

Well guys I will paint this one red and white,if new facts come to light I will build another to reflect the movie car.

24. Too bad! I had this fantasy vision.;)

25. It was two-tone green. Red stands out too much. When you're runnin' illegal alcohol, you want to keep a low profile.

26. Hot damn, Don! First talking "American Graffiti" today and now "Thunder Road." It don't get no better than that!!:):cool:

wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. .............................If I recall, she was a big, stocky woman, powerful in stature.:eek:;)

28. frank spittle

frank spittle

Solid black was the color for most moonshine runners. It blended in better at night.

lothiandon1940 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  29. Canadian beer back then was 6%, and some of the ales were 8%. Pissed eh?
    That was when a case cost $ 2.52. Why do I know this?
    Bob

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. Red, green, purple...it matters not a shit because when shooting in B&W colours of things like a hero car prop are chosen on the basis of what works for them (making the movie) and how it shows up in B&W.

chryslerfan55 likes this.