Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would this work?? self adjusting Shoebox brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Da Tinman, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

The brake shoes on the shoebox Fords are the same shoe that is used on most Mustangs etc. Could I use the brake adjuster kit for said Mustang on the Front and Rear brakes on our Shoe??

The adjuster kits (no springs) are 7 bucks per wheel and the hardware kits (springs) are 5 bucks per axle. If it will work 45 bucks gives us self adjusting brakes.

Is it worth the effort?? We don't plan on swtiching to disks so it would nice not having to adjust them.

2. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I came to the same realization on my '55 Mercury. In my case, the brake shoes were interchangeable with '70 full sized Fords with manual front/rear drum brakes. I bought all of the parts (the self adjusting pieces) awhile ago, but have yet to actually install them. :eek:

I don't drive my car that much, so the brakes really don't need to be readjusted often. It'll be more for "peace of mind". :)

3. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Glad to know I'm not the only one in the boat. We are gonna give it a shot and see what happens!

4. buymeamerc

buymeamerc
    from s.c.,usa

what year mustang???

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I think I ended up using Ranger rear brake adjusters on all 4 corners. Shouldn't matter what year.

6. keep this thread updated with pictures,subscribed!

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

8. link won't work!:confused:

9. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I used 69 Torino brake shoes, hardware kits, and self-adjusters on my 50 Ford sedan front and rear. I did this 14 years ago and they work great (over 60k miles). The Torino brakes are same size, width and diameter. If I remember right, the left front adjusting slot does not line up exactly. But that is not a problem. Just get adjustment close before installing the drum and then back up a few times. There might be others (ie. Mustang) that might fit, but I know for sure that the Torino parts are correct.
    PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The link works fine from a PC,apps maybe not :(??

11. toucan

toucan
    from sc

we did this on my galaxie,seems to work fine.i think we used torino or ltd springs and adjusters.check part #s they probobly the same.

12. vwdave30

vwdave30

Anybody know if the torino wheel cylinders work on 50 ford sedan too or is it just shoes and hardware?

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Not directly an answer, but something that I have found many Shoebox people aren't aware of:
    Whenever you put in new shoes, this generation of Bendix brakes needs a MAJOR adjustment loosening the upper anchor and centering the shoes before adjusting at the obvious star wheel. After this first adjustment, all future adjustments for wear (by you or your new self-adjusters) can be done via the star wheel until shoes are changed again.

14. vwdave30

vwdave30

I installed 68 torino brakes on my 50 this weekend. i used torino shoes wheel cylinders and hardware. had to cut new adjusting slots on the front and back driver side backing plates. The brake shoes for the back of a 69 torino showed to be too wide to work but the 68 torino was perfect size. Good cheap and easy way to get better brakes.

15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Good info for thought - thanks

16. vwdave30

vwdave30

Your welcome Hope that helps somebody

17. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

get on www.shoeboxford.com - there are some guys on there hat have done some amazing things with shoeboxs.

18. Bruce good to know.^^^ ;)

As for automatic brake adjusters yes it will work we have been doing auto adjusters on just about everything for years. The equipment has no idea how old the car is all they know is that they have a job to do and just do it.

19. Ruiner

Ruiner

Are you guys using '68 Torino front and rear shoes and hardware, or just the Torino front shoes and hardware for both front and rear of the shoebox?...

20. I recall the days where people were taking them off their cars... must have been some scheme portrayed by gas stations of the era.

I nixed the idea on my Ford, since the rears are drum and I probably won't drive it all that much. For a true DD, I would put them on.

21. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Shoes should be the same, just add the self adjusters. At least that's what I ended up with.

22. vwdave30

vwdave30

I used front and rear on mine