Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need help finding a cool shop name

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drumyn29, Dec 8, 2014.

1. There's a bunch of shop names that are a bit off.
    Idiit steering
    Fatman
    Flaming river ( 1969 cuyahoga river fire )
    There's a bunch more too. So I'm not sure what my point is but you can make one.

So since this will be giving underprivleged kids an advantage

Advantage garage.

2. deto

deto

No help on a name, but keep it simple.

Branding will help you build a market share. My branding test goes as follows:

Could a shop sticker be vinyl die cut from one sheet and still look as good as a national brand's logo or name.

Someone on here mentioned domain name as well. They are cheap. Buy it and anything similar to your name.

3. Whatever you do DO NOT use your Avatar any where on the business. "cute" and "business" don't go together at all unless your selling cute (read that sex). I like your Avatar for HAMB purposes, but would avoid a business that used it any where else.

saltflats likes this.
  4. It was continuing the joke on the hamburger helper theme.. I suggested a few names in earlier posts that I liked. You can't name a business with any vibe heading towards "Fuck Off" and be taken seriously. As working with the general public sometimes you wanna tell em to fuck off, but you don't.

6. 327Eric

327Eric

I liked your old Avatar, so
    Archies Garage
    Archies hot rods
    1320 Classics
    Pops Garage

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

So Cal Automotive Education Center
    Its more than doing the work, its giving back.

8. No that is the truth brother!

9. GTS225

GTS225

********************************************************************************

Well said! and I'll leave you with these to consider.
    Smoky's garage
    So-Cal speed shop
    Holman & Moody
    Speedway Automotive
    Von Dutch

The above are well-known, not because of thier names, but because of what thier owners did with the shop or service. All of them started out as a corner storefront, or even out of a back-alley private garage, but over the years/decades, became well-known.

Roger

10. Par34

Par34

Classic Customs

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not sure about the name but Im curious about the details of what you are actually trying to do if you dont mind sharing.
    Do you get paid or...?

12. Picture frames come to mind...

Texas57 likes this.
  13. http://www.whereorg.com/bennett-dover-home-remodelers-12467694

This guy has grown into just over a million annually. He started is company as "Ben Dover Contracting" and was very very busy. True story. He's since changed the name to Bennett Dover ,,,,

So its not exactly "fuck off" is it?

I used to say that if you were serious about a business that your name would be on it. Well that one blurs the line and tossed some grey into my black and white world.

primeisnotacrime likes this.
  14. Ben Dover... By any chance was his wife's name Eileen? o_O

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How about Cam'd Up
    Have your logo beeeee lets see maybe a lifter or rocker screaming or the Monroe poss you know the one with her skirt blown up.

16. verde742

verde742

Had a hot rod shop here called "The Cobbler Shop." don't know where the Cobbler went...... anybody?

17. When I was a kid I wanted to open a pizza shop called "Who's pizza"

Some thought it was a silly name at first, so I just said well, who's got the best pizza - let's get a pizza , yeah but who's and a bunch more.

You can have it if you want it
    Who's garage or whatever

18. mj40's

mj40's

Hot Rods by Jeff's Kids

19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Dont know about a name but on your letter head you could say We fuck the other guy and pass the savings on to you!!!!!!

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  20. If you do that, would it also say
    "Today you're "you" but one day you'll get to be "the other guy" or is that left unsaid?
    Lmao

21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

.....Shop Class Rods....... or similar

22. wsdad

wsdad

I have to agree with Texas57. We have a little business called, "Appliance Solutions." What do we do? Who can tell? It must have something to do with appliances. What kind of appliances? What sort of solutions? Who knows? I get those questions a lot. What worries me are the folks who pass me by because they don't want to look dumb or go to the trouble of finding out by calling, and then having to fend off a salesman. If I were doing it over, I would have named it, "DFW Major Home Appliance Repair." (DFW = Dallas-Ft. Worth. A commonly used acronym in our area.)

Perhaps you could name it...

Hot Rod Garage
    The Hot Rod Shop
    Quality Hot Rods
    I♡Hot Rods. (Would make a pretty good bumper sticker to hand out at shows and with each job.)

I know these aren't very flashy but they will work better in the real world than something like, "Area 21." It will be easier to build a good reputation by doing good work with an easy to understand and remember name. Remember, a lot of your customers will be old guys with poor short term memories.

I'm not so sure too many customers would want troubled teens working on their expensive cars, though. It's obviously a noble cause, but hard to sell. Not every customer thinks like you do. You'll probably never get the chance to change their mind. Even if you did, it's an obstical you'll have to climb over with each new job.

You should do well if you look at your business through your customer's eyes, as much as possible.

Good luck!

23. Firecat7

Firecat7

your avatar says a lot.......

Texas57 likes this.
  24. drumyn29

drumyn29

Well…. There won't be customers cars, it will be the broke as hell , unknowledgeable youngsters cars. I'm not starting this shop as an "in my pocket" profit shop, more of a let's give a struggling, hungry to learn, helping hand kind of shop. Oh yeah, and we will be filming it documentary style. There won't be a pallet full of shiny parts arriving, it is going to be donations and what we have lying around, craigslist, junkyards, etc. Any hot rodder is welcome to stop by anytime as long as their hands aren't empty.

Texas57 likes this.
  25. And that last statement makes a big difference....you're not really looking for customers. Good for you for even thinking about doing this. My hat is off to you!
    BTW, VirgilHilts was correct...Creative Corners...we did picture framing.
    A little more on that and the effect the name had on our business.... Yeah the name worked because we had 40 feet of display windows on the major Street in town...however, it still implied more of a crafts/hobby type custom framing. We catered to the homeowners, the crossstichers, the local artists, etc. In later years I opened a shop called the Springs Gallery and our clientle changed..on it's own...upper end framing, interior designers with clients building 3 million dollar summer homes, upper end galleries that didn't do their own framing, museums,etc.

26. No Xuse Fabrication

27. Terrible80

Terrible80

MENTOR'S ROD SHOP

28. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Remember the old saying
    "No good deed goes unpunished"
    Who is going to handle your liability Insurance?

YocumBros. likes this.
  29. drumyn29

drumyn29

We have an umbrella policy.

30. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

Seriously? You got a big fuck you finger on your avatar and you want to do something to attract kids? WTF are you thinking? Yea, I'm gonna send my kid right over.

funk 49 likes this.