Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest SHOP OWNERS, How do you get workers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket's Hot Rod Garage, Dec 9, 2014.

1. What is the best way you've found to find new help? Oddly enough this time of year we're busier than ever but short handed. We're a small shop in eastern Washington that specializes in fabrication & complete builds, no paint. I've been placing adds on Craig's list now for over a month and haven't even pulled an interview. So what do you do? What's the best way you've found good help? I'm all ears (or I guess eyes in this case). Norwell Frankenstein.jpg
    Wish guy's like this existed. Thanks Jeff

2. Try talking to trade schools. They are trying to place guys and thats why the guys went to school. Many lack SHOP experience, but you can find and teach them YOUR WAY.

tb33anda3rd and jakespeed63 like this.
  3. Go to a bigger show and when you find a car that looks to be extremely well assembled, ask the owner if they did the work themselves or hired someone else. Tell that person that you're looking for good employees (even on a part-time basis in the evenings. They make a few dollars and when the rush is over you don't HAVE TO keep them.).

And/Or.... Find the younger guys at a car show that are asking questions and paying attention to the small details and ask if they're interested in a cool part-time job that MIGHT go full time for them if it works out.

4. How many guys that you know look at Craigs list for a job??? use your local newspaper

clem likes this.

5. Sheeez....as a single dad....trying to re-invent myself/career/life/etcs unmentioned....I would love that opportunity in Dallas Texas. I know enough to be dangerously effective and would relish the opportunity to turn the lifelong hobby into the life ending career. Good luck to you.....good luck to me.

1927graham likes this.
  6. You must know people on the hot rod community, put your feelers put there.

I don't know about your part of the country but around here only the desperate use CL to find work, any reputable company wouldn't use it to look for employees. Not a slam just my observation around here.

7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Does Washington have a job service? Take advantage of it if they do. Give them the information about your open positions, and they will hopefully funnel qualified applicants your way. Chances are your taxes are paying to keep it up and running anyways.

8. eek! a life ENDING career?

clem and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. I'll agree, CL is a poor place to look for employees, and the local newspapers won't be any better. Being where you are, try checking with the unemployment offices in Yakima and/or the tri-cities and any local community colleges. But remember; if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys....

slack and slammed like this.
  10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Do you pay your guys? Seems most shops have the reputation of wanting qualified experienced people then want to pay them peanuts.

Guys who have the skills and work hard have jobs that pay.

gimpyshotrods and bct like this.
  11. ha....into the sunset....so to speak. The last job hunt.

12. Special Ed

Special Ed

A few years back, I placed an ad on Craigslist for a "custom car and hot rod fabricator", and I was overwhelmed with the reponse. Probably fifty responses within two weeks time. More than 50% of the responders were incredibly well-qualified (10+ years international F-1 crew member!, and guys with 30+ years of building hot rods professionaly).
    Broaden the area in which your ad will be seen. Also offer the position as part/full time as you might be able to land someone who is semi-retired, or something. The classified section in our newspapers are virtually non-existent around here. If people need a job, they're looking online.

13. Not a single dad, but in the same boat kidcampbell. Good luck to you, good luck to me also..

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

i see it a lot of social media... instagram and facebook... people will post help wanted on their page and also show their work to let them know what kind of work your shop does(quality wise and how far you take projects) Seems to work pretty well on there due to people in the same community can tag their friends or people they know looking for work...

seems to be a lot of people moving around the country when it comes to work in that field

15. I would love this kind of opportunity..too bad it's 2500 miles away! and on that peanut comment, it couldn't be truer. When I was working at a dealership, we had "monkeys'" come and go, and the guys worth two shits had a job for life. Unfortunately, the dealership didn't last and I was done also..

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  16. oldsman41

oldsman41

when I was looking I went with the local tech high school. kids were like spounges and would soak up every bit of info and do all the grunge work for the extra credits. hired a few and a couple of them went on to own there own shops.

dearjose and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. deto

deto

X2.

I see ads where guys want an experienced metal shaper for $16/hr.

You get what you pay for

slack, gimpyshotrods and 62hotcat like this.
  18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd say part of the problem is that people with skills can make more part time in their own back yard shop than they could at most Hot Rod shops working full time.

19. Washington's Workforce Development office would be a good place to start, in addition to the technical schools as mentioned previously.

http://www.wtb.wa.gov/default.asp

vtx1800 and Special Ed like this.
  20. Your shop looks like a nice place to work. I dig all the projects, on your website. Trust me, as a former business owner, this is becoming more and more of a problem. The younger generation, just isn't as "hands-on" as we were. AND..you are competing with big money car dealerships, with full benefits packages. I currently work for a city, near Orlando and I feel lucky to have this position.
    Don't overlook stealing from another shop. Ask the guys at local NAPA store too. Wish you the best of luck.
    JT

62hotcat likes this.
  21. what about a good old fashioned "HELP WANTED" sign in the window?

and while you're at tit tell all of your vendors and jobbers you're looking for help. they see more people in a day than you do in a month.

22. I learned that the hard way. Always felt to make the money meant huge shop, employees, brain splitting headaches and countless hours. I do better at home now with WAY less hours and an open schedule.

As for the monkey/peanut pay, DEAD ON. A couple years ago I was English wheeling in my driveway, a guy stops by, hands me his card, tells me he watches me build all these cars and would love to have a metal guy at his shop. Couple days of thought, I drive by his shop, talk extensively with him, he finds out I can run any tool in his shop. He then tells me he's "willing" to pay $10.00 an hour. I just walked out.

23. LMFAO sorry I just can't help myself. I have been offered stupid low bucks to work for people who I know were knockin' out some fab rides, and the bucks that went with them.

It just occurred to me that the HAMB is also a good place to find help and lots of shops have done just that over the years.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  24. My wife tells me about all the "monkeys" in management at her last job that were pulling down high 6 figure salaries, couldn't do half of what the people on the floor that actually make the company money. The people on the floor were treated like dirt and could go anywhere else for a job making probably more but are afraid to take the leap and believe in themselves, and management preys on that..she had enough and quit..found a better job with better pay, hours, vacation, health benefits, etc.. never regrets the decision..the "monkeys" exist in ALL positions, not just only entry level.

25. What a effin joke! woulda done the same thing.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  26. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I hear it all the time. Guys saying they work too hard for too little pay while the management guys make the big bucks.
    That is not even close to accurate.
    If you`re a decent tech with good work ethics then you can go anywhere and get paid well. You just have to prove yourself. I can tell within thirty days if the guy is a keeper.
    I run a large collision shop with good techs and they usually make more than me by years end. I take care of them and they get the work out. BUT! I spend on average 10 hours more each week than they do. It isn`t all gravy slurp at the top position. I open the shop and usually close it too.
    I am responsible for making a profit, handling the diverse personalities of my customers, making sure parts and materials are correct and on hand plus all the little stuff like training, payroll, insurance companies, hiring employees and dealing with the owners of the dealerships and their unrealistic expectations.
    Plus, I haven`t had a full week of vacation in almost twenty years.

In the end my position is the closest to the door when something goes wrong.
    None of my techs want to trade places...

27. In your case, you own the shop and do what it takes to make it run, whatever that may be, and I applaud your efforts trying to run a business and make it in this economy. I was part owner of a machine shop that almost survived two downturns in a recession, the second one took us down, I too, worked long hours, no vacation, in on weekends, arrived early, stayed late, what I was referring to in post #24 was she worked for a company that was handed to two apathetic, dissolutioned, dis-connected children whose father built up the business to a point where it's almost on auto-pilot cuz' all the people were in place to make it run were paid, actually overpaid, to keep it going as long as the siblings could come in late and leave early and take extended vacations and shop on the internet all day for dirtbike tires. They weren't accountable for misdoings going on and the "middle-management" saw this and take advantage of the situation. As long as things are still running like normal, and the siblings don't have to add anymore responsibility to their job, all is well right?..I don't know if you were referring to me though.

28. BTW, the dealerships are unrealistic with their expectations of their own employees also.

29. good, that is what i suspected, i would miss your supportive, exuberant, and energetic posts.

30. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

I run a Dealership, and I Advertise with Publications in my Industry and CareerBuilder-I Advertise over the entire western US. I pay top Dollar to my Tech's (with an Incentive)-I have very few leave me, and I recently had an old Tech who moved to MO call me and want to come back-

Cast a WIDE net-