Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Hot Rods to Hell" Corvette build finale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Utahvette, Nov 11, 2014.

1. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I love that you are using cast off Corvette restorer parts to build your car on budget!!

guthriesmith and 62hotcat like this.
  2. hemi

hemi

Cool movie, and a great job on the car so far! It's bitchin...

3. Utahvette

Utahvette

The upholsterer did a great job. They look like real Corvette seats! We're going to trade for a little paint work on his wifes Yukon . The seats fit snug in the cavities. To adjust seating position I just stacked dense foam rubber behind the seat to get the right leg room. They are much softer and therefore more comfortable than stock ones . I also fabricated the all important roll bar. I welded some mandrel bends together and attached it to the original soft top frame mounting points. 175.JPG 176.JPG

4. moparnate

moparnate
    from minnesota

those seats look great, fit just like the originals, and saved you a ton of $. Great build.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

When looking at your posts, its hard to see that should be a budget build! It looks like a million bucks, its awesome!
    And beautiful!

Keep at it! :D

loudbang likes this.
  6. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

My daughter and I are going to be in SLC Christmas week visiting my son.
    I hope to see the Vette terrorizing the SLC area

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

7. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Not only is the build beautiful, but the entire thread is done superbly! Nice photos, good spelling, fast paced, organized and interesting... I'm taking notes...

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. F-head

F-head

well done sir
    lets see some action photos

9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

thCAVDSAZ0.jpg Are any of the original actors still around? would make for a great photo, The thing I missed (couldnt get it set up) on the IVO deal was to get a current shot of Prudhome with a paint gun in the booth with the repop

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  10. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

11. Holy shit man! So good!

12. Utahvette

Utahvette

I was in a bit of a quandary about what to do for front turn signals since the whole lower section that normally houses the lights is now in the back yard against the fence. I got on Ebay and found these small motorcycle lights. After I painted the housings semi-flat black and test mounted them just above the control arm outboard of the frame , the lenses were still pretty noticeable. To make them blend in with the chassis I sprayed a light coat of gloss black across the lenses .The gloss black is opaque with one light coat. That looks much better, almost invisible and because they are LED lights they still shine through brightly . $T2eC16FHJHEE9ny2p)6iBQB9mIR7zg~~60_12.JPG CIMG9617.JPG

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  13. Utahvette

Utahvette

Finished shot of the engine compartment, I used the hydraulic clutch set up from the Camaro the five speed came out of. Economical, simple ,smooth operating and easy to adapt to the Corvette fire wall. The master cylinder is there next to the brake cylinder. You can easily push the clutch in with your hand. 173.JPG

AHotRod, guthriesmith and volvobrynk like this.
  14. Great project............don't forget to install oil injection in the mufflers so the car blows blue oil smoke out the exhaust on acceleration like the old movie car.

SicSpeed likes this.
  15. Or let me run the shit out of it. I'll loosen her up!

16. winger59

winger59
    from Indiana

Nice job...could you share more info on the seats.... build a 53 replica Corvette and facing the same seating problem. Seats just sitting in place or bolted in? Thanks for the build write up....watched the movie on Netflix this week.

17. Utahvette

Utahvette

It's pretty much done here. I may tweek a few details later. The rear tires might need to be a little wider and I might have the pin striping around the flames made a bit bolder. Over all I think it has a pretty good look to it. While it's not an exact copy I don't think many will miss the resemblance . After all, how far do you carry replication? 6 cylinder sound, smoke out the left side? Do I really need to play chicken? (maybe) I've got some great glamor shots for tomorrow . CIMG8304.JPG CIMG8301.JPG

18. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Shit, did you clock all the Phillips screw heads and line up the cotter pins while you were at it???
    Its perfect

19. elgringo71

elgringo71

Grand slam home run

20. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Killer

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

21. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are one talented young man. Not many could have pulled this Corvette together. Great work.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. It'd be hilarious to grab a buddy and a blonde chick, scream up and down the streets of Woods Cross. Maybe drive it to B'ville speed week and drive it up and down the access road with your "crew"...I wonder how many guys would get it.

volvobrynk and SicSpeed like this.
  23. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Great build, you really are to be commended for your skill and resourcefulness.

24. jimdillon

jimdillon

I may be in the minority but I was never a fan of the car nor the movie but I have to admit you did a good job capturing the look of the car, especially in the way you did so. I think even the purists may appreciate it since you did not "destroy" a good car in the process.

25. LAROKE

LAROKE

Dana Andrews would be scared shitless.

SicSpeed likes this.
  26. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That ought to piss off some of the NCRS boys! Great job! Have fun, haul ass!

27. AHotRod

AHotRod

28. I love this build!!!! I especially love how you started the thread after it was finished so we didn't all wait around for 2 years.

29. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You knocked this one out of the park so what's the next one?

SicSpeed likes this.
  30. 327Eric

327Eric

beautiful job.