Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Blue dots, yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gus68, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Hey, stupid question. I am working on putting my 62 Bel Air 2dr post back together, kinda goin for a cool 60s street racer type of thing. (chrome reverse bigs and littles, small block and 4 speed) Anyways.... I have always liked the look of blue dots in the tail lights but have never had anything to put them in. You think they would look cool or "correct" in a car like mine? Or are they more of a custom type of thing?

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

IMHO, blue dots would look out of place on a street racer themed car. Bottom line is, if YOU like them, it's your car.

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Ya, I know it's weather or not I like them, I just don't wan't them to look stupid, then I won't like them. Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

4. here's a pic of my [former] '62 to help you decide.

Attached Files:

5. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

I like blue dots. Have them in my car, but it is '50 chevy custom. Back in '62 I have seen them on new '62 chevy's that were lower and had a custom theme.

6. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Now this looks good !!

7. I have two cars with blue dots, both older Fords. Put a pair in my sons 90 Chevy PU too. I like em. Rare enough around here - rarely, if ever, see them on the streets.
    They seem to need sufficient back light to make the purple glow. I may experiment with a separate LED attached directly to the back of the blue dot itself.
    I'd put them on my 62 (If I still had it).

8. raymay

raymay

A couple things to consider about Blue Dot taillights. In some states they are illegal and depending on the situation you may or may not get stopped. I have used them on most of my builds since the 70's. They work great at night but have become concerned with their visibility during daylight hours and if the sun is behind you. Someone told me I had no brake lights on my 37. Turned out they were working just fine but were hard to see in the sunlight. I checked with a few makers of the LED taillight setups and they do not offer a Blue Dot option because they are not legal in all states.
    I recently converted my 56 back to the standard red lens and have a set of LED red lenses to replace the Blue Dots in my 37.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  9. Thanks 50cc; but you're right that it's more a 50's period thing and the '62 is a little too modern but I hadda hav'em - prolly why I got a 54 now :)

10. I don't know about your state but Blue Dots are illegal in South Carolina,granted some guys run them but I don't want the give the police another reason to stop me. HRP

11. 29moonshine

29moonshine

you will get a ticket in gulf port miss for having them on your car.

12. Had blue dots, real old nice glass ones on my model A. I liked them alot, very easy to see them at night. Turned out they are ILLEGAL IN PA!! I took them off, but may put them back on because I like them, and anyone behind me can see them at night very easily .

13. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Ya... Maybe more of a custom/lowrider thing. What if a guy put in say a blue colored bulb? More purple? or just not as bright? Maybe I'm the one who's not so bright!!!????

14. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

My earliest memories of discovering cars was seeing those blue dots on 46-52 Fords when I was six years old.
    Mix in the duel pipes with they're sweet sound and I was hooked.
    As much as I love blue dots I wouldn't put them on a "correct" 60's street racer, but if you've been waiting years to put them on something I say it's your car so why not. Enjoy.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

hiboy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. That's the problem with blue dots,,you can see them at night but in the bright sunshine the person behind you can't see the brake lights,and as many distracted drivers there are on today's roads you asking to be rear-ended. HRP.

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  16. HRP! You are correct sir!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Mad Mikey - Good info re: the law in The Commonwealth.
    Always liked 'em myself

18. Bingo!
    Distracting them with purple taillights at night might get you rear ended too :)

They sure are cool though!
    I remember the first time I saw them.
    "DAD DAD DAD whys those lights purple on that car?" He said those were blue dots

19. Slopok

Slopok

Blue Dots & Dice or anything hangin from your mirror is illegal in most states however unless the cop is a real dick or if you are doin something real stupid you probably won't get hassled. I've been pulled over just so they could get a better look at the car and they remind me of the violations but have always let me go.

20. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i believe they're illegal here in missouri, but you never hear about anyone with an old car getting pulled over for them. cops do seem to have a wild hair for cars with only one taillight. for instance, a buddy of mine used to drive a '36 ford standard coupe, which originally had only one taillight, but try to explain that to the man in blue.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. LED blue dot in my 54 Chevy Bel Air.

Attached Files:

22. In Florida a vehicle has to be titled before 1948 to use blue dots....
    "Blue Dots, I've got blue dots. I've got blue dots, on my taillights"

23. We get a ticket for not only blue dots but lens has to be D.O.T to.

24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Different rules in different states on blue dots.
    But I can tell you 2 kinds of high performance cars that DON"T run them: real street racers and booze haulers, both for the same reasons, a need to look anonymous, and the chance to lose your pursuers amongst other taillights, which you could never do with blue dots.
    But with a fenderless and topless Hiboy, I'll never be anonymous anyhow,like blue dots and run them.

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. mountainman2

mountainman2

FYI.....one of the few areas in which MO is enlightened

Missouri Revised Statutes - Section 301.132.1
    17. For purposes of this section, "blue dot tail light" is a red lamp installed in the rear of a motor vehicle containing a blue or purple insert that is not more than one inch in diameter.
    18. A street rod or custom vehicle may use blue dot tail lights for stop lamps, rear turning indicator lamps, rear hazard lamps, and rear reflectors.

bchrismer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. GRX

GRX
    from MD

Blue dots illegal here in maryland too. Only cops are allowed to have anything blue. I milled out some holes on the lenses for a co-workers '64 Impala for dots a while back. He got stopped the following weekend and was searching for new lenses.

27. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

When I had my 39 Deluxe Ford Coupe, I had them the car had 40 rear fenders, they looked great in the chevon taillights. They were illegal, but was never stopped for using them. I do know somw people who were stopped for having them in their cars though

28. coupe man

coupe man

I have blue dots in my Ply. for 17 years in Pa.Haven't had any issues yet.

29. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I like them on some cars. They only work in 55 tail lights if you remove the inside len. I always wanted to see if I installed the blue dot in the inside lens, if the tail light would be really blue/ purple in color. I also wanted to try real blue glass bubs to see how it looked. I think they would look good on a 62 Chevy.

30. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Some times they just look suck when on, have some extra lenses...