Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1950 Ford Shoebox Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sevenevez, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

You are lucky that you have nice weather so you can drive your old car with out risk of salt
    shit and rain frost ice, snow and slipery roads

about your starter problems i have that isue on one of my old cars with a high preformace starter
    it start easy when it was cold but afrer 5 min of driving it was near imposible to start the engine
    the fault was the battery!!! starange!!! and supricing

/Stefan

2. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

yeah, i dont get it man. i have anew Optima red top in there. Been having this issue for like 2 years

3. daddio211

daddio211

If you're looking to replace the starter, I'd go with a stock one going with a high performance unit. The engine isn't anything crazy like 14:1, right?

4. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

i wish i knew more about this 327 man. previous owner said it was out of a 65 vette. not sure about the cam or compression or anything. maybe i need to run an additional battery or something if a hi-perf starter isnt the cure

5. slingshot

slingshot

I ran a '65 Vette FI cam in a 283 back in '68 in my model A Sport Coupe. It started just fine. It had flat top pistons and 'double hump' heads, so it should have been 9.5 or 10.0-1 compression. I 'remember' ? the 327 normally had 10-1 even in a station wagon. The Corvette FI was 11.0-1 for 375 advertised HP,

6. Hey Pete -
    I would be glad to help locate the issue once I'm all settled back in and done with school. (about 3 weeks away), you'd have to drive to the other end of the world though. I'm out in Surprise.

-Pete

7. daddio211

daddio211

The casting numbers are on the back of the block, behind the head on the drivers side. Go to www.mortec.com and see what's really in there. Spoiler alert, 99 out of 100 times the seller will claim its a Corvette 327 but its not.

8. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Thanks for the replies guys. daddio imma check that this weekend! i was wondering where it was stamped. she runs strong and has an aggressive little idle too. Unfortunately the Previous owner passed away earlier this year, :( he was a really nice guy, but i am on my own now. His son contacted me and asked if they could buy the car back.

hey thats very gracious man, maybe that could happen. i have plenty of quirky issues that i need help with. cant trust much anyone round my area to even touch her.

9. Let's plan on it sometime in late January then.

sevenevez likes this.
  10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Gotta tell ya , I could look at pics of that car all day !

Cool little video there - nice stuff .

daddio211 likes this.
  11. Brentphx

Brentphx

That video TOTALLY explained how you get some of the killer shots you've posted!! Thanks for the link... Just in time for Xmas too!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

daddio211 likes this.
  12. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

appreciated man. that would be awesome

haha, thanks buddy! i see you are gettin close on your build. if you need any help mocking ideas up in photoshop just give me a hollar

thanks for checkin it out Brentphx :) we have a 20% off everything sale right now BF20 coupon code

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    daddio211 likes this.
  13. Brentphx

Brentphx

How could I not... I drooled over your car on craigslist while shopping for mine. Was pretty happy when I saw the full build thread showing how you put everything together!

sevenevez likes this.
  14. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

awesome man. i just checked out your thread. congrats! looks like you are movin ahead full force on it. im surprised how fast you got the 12v conversion done. took me a long time to get that dialed in. im pretty used to not having power steering. i dont have "power" anything on mine. aside of horsepower :) my wheel was also a little cracked so i just got a new white leather wrap for it as a band aid until i do a full repair on it. there is a never-ending list of stuff to fix on mine. she runs and is reliable. but aesthetically and some mechanical things and quirky stuff i got plenty more to do. i want to get my trunk looking as nice as my interior. still need to throw in my Steering Kit. my car with bias-plys and hella old steering components is like playing a video game on advanced level to keep her straight down the road when you hit grooves like a vinyl record she plays back on ya haha.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  15. daddio211

daddio211

Your GoPro tools rule man!

16. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  17. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks , man - I'd really love to do that photoshop idea . I'll (hopefully) soon get the chance to pull my ride outside & get some decent pics of it , now that the grille & bumpers & stuff are on it , then I'll shoot ya the pics . I'd love to see what you can come up with & see it in color for once ! It's always dark when I get home from work , and we work on my ride at Craig's shop , so I've got to make a certain effort to get over there while it's light .

18. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

cool man. yeah, i get ideas all the time. and until i mock them up i dont know whether they are good or not. nice to visually compare options before you commit to any color or design :)

19. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

sʎɐpıloɥ ʎddɐɥ / sɐɯʇsıɹɥɔ ʎɹɹǝɯ

[​IMG]

20. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Cool pic - Happy Holidays to you too .

21. sluginxlt

sluginxlt

you did a great job on this car man, one of my favorite shoeboxes! your car helped convince me i needed a shoebox. the main plan for mine is to lay it out also. how does it ride/handle with the stock front end bagged? im trying to decide if i should bag the stock front or s10 clip it. its obvious the clip will ride and handle better but if it will handle good enough to feel safe and comfortable at speeds ill stick with the stock front end.

sevenevez likes this.
  22. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

thanks for the kind words man. it handles pretty good. the steering isnt that nice. but i bought a new steering kit i just need to put it in. not to mention, the bias ply tires make her wander. but overall it rides damn good considering.

23. Are you going to go to the CKC3 in Tempe this weekend?

24. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

never heard of it. what's CKC3? i assume its a car show or something?

25. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

26. Yeah, heading up for sure. I'll pm you my number. Let me know if you are coming.

27. sluginxlt

sluginxlt

how did you end up mounting the front shocks? i read a lot of people saying there is no where good to mount them when bagging the stock front end

Cooon likes this.
  28. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

i'll have to go back through some pics to see if i can show you how it was done. my computer with those images is all packed up right now

29. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Sorry it's been awhile everyone. Been a crazy year. Leaving Maricopa and moving to Yuma this weekend. Last pic in Maricopa. I'll be back soon enough

[​IMG]

daddio211 likes this.