Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F1 steering box in 31 model a frame

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Donald A. Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

I am not able to use the search mode to get my answer so, can someone help me learn the search forum? I also need to know about using a F1 pick up steering box and column, in my 31 A

2. modelaonly.com

modelaonly.com
    from california

modelaonly.net f100 steering kits

3. carmuts

carmuts

Somewhere on the net are full instructions on how to do the mod start to finish. Did not look very complicated to me. Rod

4. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

I'm actually right in the middle of this on my A pickup. The way I'm doing it is I cut the old flange off of the F1 box and machined the snout of the F1 box and bought a new flange made for the model A frame from NealinCA here on the HAMB. I'm putting it in the stock A location and the length of the column seems just about right. It's pretty strait forward once you look at it. Let me know if you need some pictures!

Mike.

MostlyOldPartsAndRust likes this.

5. Mike, yes please lots of pictures, I want to do same thing

6. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Im in the middle of this also. What column jackets can you use on the f1 box? Will a stock model a column jacket fit back on?

7. Vegas_Cleaver

Vegas_Cleaver

8. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Mike Thank you for your reply. I am looking forward to pictures to see what I have to do. I live 1 hr away from you, I am in N. W. In. Thanks again! Don in In.

9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am just about at the end of this install also in a 31 Ford roadster. I had the snout of the f1 box turned down and bought a flange kit from NeilinCA as well. The f1 column jacket is smaller than the A jacket so I was just going to get an insert machined up for the difference in the dia. between the two. Here are a couple pics of it. Ignore the steering wheel as it was all I had on hand to get an idea what a 15 3/4" dia. wheel was like.

Gordon

P.S. The box is temporarily bolted in with one bolt and a nut for a spacer. I PROMISE it will not be run that way! :eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  10. dcadwell

dcadwell

To make more foot room and flathead room in my AV8 roadster I split the mast on an F-1 box. Easiest just to attach some photos. There is a mounting flange welded to the top of the mast that bolts to the firewall and another flange at on the upper mast just behind the dash. Hard to see, but necessary. The upper and lower sections have to be very well supported at the u-joint.

IMG_7932.JPG DSCF0098.JPG DSCF0099.JPG DSCF0101.JPG DSCF0144.JPG IMG_6366.JPG IMG_6368.JPG DSCF1881.JPG DSCF1845.JPG Picture 040m.JPG

100% Matt likes this.
  11. Majo

Majo

@dcadwell
    looks good, very good solution

Majo

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Here's a link to a page of my build thread scroll down about 3/4 of the page. It's not that hard. I didn't even take my F1 box apart to do mine.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/model-a-pickup-my-first-build-thread.511327/page-4

There is a link to a PDF file for the new flange and what I did making/installing mine. You can make it at home with a drill press. Then, after you trim the ears of the old flange off so you just have a round snout, mock the box up in the frame with the column and dash in and tack it to the box. Pull it out and finish weld it on. The box is cast steel and can be welded to. Cost me $5 for the piece of steel plate.

13. yruhot

yruhot

Nice work, maybe I missed it but could you tell me what year that f100 steering box that is or what years will work the same as your conversion. Much thanks, going in for shoulder surgery and I think this will come in handy.Thanks Again,Doug

14. white64

white64
    from Maine

I did pretty much the same on my car as everyone else here... but I did replace the f1 internals with '46 passenger car internals, no machining required ( however the column and column shaft were different lengths), ...pick up truck internals seem to wear out sooner due to harsher/longer use and the passenger car ratio is a bit quicker.

I did everything at home.
    • emptied out the box
    • clamped it to my drill press and ran a hole saw down the pitman arm shaft removing the cast mount and leaving a round shaft the size of the hole saw (slow process, lots of oil)
    • built a flat mount out of 3/8 plate that would fit inside the frame
    • made the factory steering box hole in the frame a little larger
    • lined everthing up placing the pitman armshaft though the plate and frame, clamped it tight
    • bolted the column to the dash, using a Victoria drop.
    • tack welded the plate to the box so the column and frame alignment was correct
    • drilled three 1/8" guide holes through the frame and the plate, to be later opened for 7/16 allen heads, and tapped the holes in the plate to accept the bolts from the out side of the frame
    • removed the box and welded it solid.
    • put in the '46 passenger car sector and worm and adjusted

I have pics somehwere...

15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Mine is an "F1" not "F100", I think there is a difference but maybe I'm mistaken. Anyway, my F1 box was pulled from a 48.

16. dcadwell

dcadwell

Here is a photo of an F-100 (on left) and F-1 (on right). The F-100 in the photo has had a bit cut off the mounting flange towards the bottom. It is normally triangular.
    Also a couple photos of a collection of Pitman arms for reference.

Attached Files:

17. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Every Body thank you for the infomation on the F-1 steering box. F-6 Garagerat you really helped me! That really is the reason the H. A. M. B. Rocks. Thanks to every one. Don in In.

18. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Here's what I got so far. Drilled the stock hole in the frame a little bigger. My frame is boxed so I have to weld my flange on all the way against the box. Also you can see the adapter I made for the column drop.

Attached Files:

19. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Looking good fast Mike Thanks for your help! Don in In.

20. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Here's a picture of it machined and in the frame. It's turning out really well so far I think.

Attached Files:

21. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Lookin good man. Thanks for the kind words.