Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Dave puhl Illusion '67 video

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by showrod, Nov 15, 2014.

1. showrod

showrod

Max Gearhead likes this.
  2. Honestly,that car is kinds ugly IMHO. HRP

3. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

He spent a lot of time building it, but at the end, he whacked a 2 x 4 in half to hold the gull wing door open. Probably not in the HAMB era anyhow.

4. Thank you for posting the video. There is something really cool about asymmetrical customs/show cars of the 60s. Not everyones cup of tea but they have their place.

5. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

I am sure, at the show, words like "Cool"...."Far Out"...."Groovy"..."Out Of Sight" were
    used and rightly so for the time

6. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

That's a great clip, thanks for sharing. And as Jimmy B said, asymmetrical styling really rocks!
    Here's a color photo of the car:

[​IMG]

Now...what happened to this one? My trace ends in 1971 when it was advertised by Aqua Velva as the "Aqua Velva's Custom Car", and it was the grand prize in the "The Aqua Velvet/Lectric Shave Custom Car Sweepstakes."

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. XALTERED

XALTERED

Carl Casper has it. He redid it though and now looks...... Well just not the same cool car as this.

Attached Files:

8. indianhead74

indianhead74

I always thought that Dave Puhl never got the recognition his creations warranted. Maybe because he was in Illinois? seemed like Rod & Custom was about the only place I ever read about him

XALTERED likes this.
  9. bgaro

bgaro

i'm gonna get some aqua velva!! the original was so ugly it was cool, ugh, the later version maybe just ugly.

10. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the update! I didn't know that was the same car!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

XALTERED likes this.
  11. XALTERED

XALTERED

I agree indianhead74. He was so creative and a great metal guy. I do think he was inducted to The Oakland Roadster Show Hall of Fame. The youngest ever inducted.

12. showrod

showrod

like it ,love it, or hate it this car only lasted in this form for a short time.
    So This short film footage is pretty rare
    I choose to post it because i know this car has its share of fans including myself.
    deservedly so, it was consieved, designed and totally scratch built.

13. XALTERED

XALTERED

No need to justify it Showrod. It was an amazing handbuilt car. Won many awards and should still br around. Casper has said hes going to put it back to the way it was... We will see.

14. Thanks for posting that. I had not seen that one before. The color picture really makes the car. It unifies some of the lines and angles that the b&w footage emphasizes.

15. XALTERED

XALTERED

Supposedly Carl Casper is returning the Illusion to the way it was originally built by Puhl.

falcongeorge and Jimmy B like this.
  16. That would be awesome to see it returned to the original styling.

falcongeorge likes this.
  17. showrod

showrod

Another web search turned this up. Some of you may remember it. I am glad it has survived. Maybe they can use it for measurements on the restoration of the full size car.
    image.jpg

falcongeorge likes this.
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Clearly a hockey arena, wonder if that car show was in the old Montreal Forum in the off-season??

19. Mr. Casper should really do that, because he has made a silk purse into a sow's ear.
    I like the blue version in the ad a lot.