Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Where? Keeping a fair distance from this dreadful new forum software, I s'pose...

2. I don't know if this thread is dying, but it sure has slowed down since some of the regular posters went to facebook. I sure miss it.

3. Dick L

Dick L

I agree. It really sucks.

4. Dick L

Dick L

So do I. I use Facebook but I don't like it.

5. Dick, I know what you mean. Years ago I almost joined Myspace, but chickened out, and I haven't looked at facebook yet.

6. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I don't do facebook either or any of that other junk. Not to worry tho it's slow season. I was hoping someone would post some pictures from Stans party, which regretfully I missed this year. O well. Denny Z.

7. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

This new forum is no longer any fun to post on. I cannot get used to it and it is hard to read. I guess I`m just getting old and its too much trouble to post photos.

8. ccarl529

ccarl529
    from Illinois

Use to read old thread everyday, now once a month is more than enough with the new thread. Have to agree with others, the new thread is bad, bad, bad.

9. rodney woolnough

rodney woolnough
    from tasmania

well we will keep you posted on our little car, we have made a few saftey changes in the last week to get it ready for the longford revival here in tasmania next year,no history on the car yet though

10. Dick L

Dick L

I'm with you slobitz,

11. Dick L

Dick L

Me too carl.

12. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Well I've had two technology set backs this year.

First the HAMB and then having to go to Windows 8.1

Why don't they leave us old farts alone?

carl s likes this.
  13. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

First look at the new Trevis Indy roadster, nearing completion at mac miller's shop in INDY.
    This car will be the 1964 #64 Clean Wear Spl. driven by Ronnie Duman.

IMG_4506.JPG IMG_4507.JPG IMG_4508.JPG RonnieDuman-vi.jpg

2NDCHANCE and carl s like this.
  14. ....still check in every day,but Facebook is killing most sites,even my local car site has bit the dust....

15. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Well mac miller is still here thankfully. Hey Mac what kind of motor is in your creation?

carl s likes this.
  16. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Hi Denny
    The engine in this car is a SOHC 2400cc Nissan... more HP and torque than a 2 litre ALFA and one of the few 4cyl. engines with the exhaust on the same side of the block as the OFFY.

mac miller in INDY

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  17. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

Hi everyone! A couple of items: First, I'm finishing up my front/rear springer 60s sprint car. In the day, I can't remember if we squared the rear end with the engine plate, or with the center-line of the frame. The right/left adjustment is limited by the sprint center bolt and perch. If it needs to be at a right angle to the center-line, I may have to build a new perch. If it is squared to the engine plate, I can adjust that with the radius rods. Any comments are welcome.

Second, is about the new technology. I have a technology design background and can say forums will get more sophisticated as time goes on, and NOT always for the better. But "it is what it is" and while it may take a bit of time and be a little frustrating, you can work into it. And that goes for all the old farts in the user base, of which I am one. No one likes change, but it is inevitable!

Thanks!

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

FWIW-The motor plate is the datum point I always used to build/square/adjust to and as far as I know that's the way the pros did it also. Maybe Ben Cook will chime in, I'm sure he's probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about squaring up a race car.

19. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Yup square it with the motor plate.

20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

...except a wet baby.

Beezerbum and carl s like this.
  21. rodney woolnough

rodney woolnough
    from tasmania

our Nacewicz Ford has been invited to the Longford meeting next year here in Tasmania it is an old GP venue,and has an historic meeting every year,its around the town type event keep you posted

22. racer5c

racer5c

and always go out as far as you can on the axle, use a straight edge on the motor plate to get out to the end of the axle, 1/16" at the frame could be a 1/2" or more at the end of the axle

23. pljas

pljas

24. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

IMG_4547.JPG

First full dress pix! IMG_4542.JPG IMG_4543.JPG

25. rooman

rooman

Tom,
    is there any reason why you did not build it with torsion bars like the original? It is not like they are hard to get here in Indy

Roo

26. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I was wondering the same thing why coil overs? Denny Z.

27. .....got a few more bits painted and fitted.....thats it now till after Christmas......thanks for all your support...have a great one...see you next year... DSC05982 (2).JPG

BZNEIL, carl s and rooman like this.
  28. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

[​IMG] I remember that driveway well.
    [​IMG]

Black vette 59 likes this.
  29. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Roo and Denny,

Never been a great fan of torsion bars. In fact, My first job, in the early 60s, was working for Henry Meyer on the #93 Iddings Auto Glass USAC sprint car, a rather radical coil spring car for its time.

I always found calculating spring and wheel rates to be rather tedious with torsion bars, juggling bar lengths & diameters, lever lengths & offsets, etc.

Also, on the Indy roadsters, using the front torsion bar lever as an axle radius rod created some unfavorable dynamic castor change.

My #98 Parnelli Jones roadster(pictured below) uses the standard Watson torsion bar setup, although I have changed the linkage geometry a bit to reduce the castor change situation.

Being a builder of replica cars, I am not bound by the design and component restraints of restoring a real car or building an accurate recreation of a real car. I am able to utilize more current design and components.

Actually, A.J. built a couple of coil spring roadsters but, when they were not instantly successful, he converted them to the standard torsion bar setup.

Three years ago, I built a special Watson style roadster for the Bonneville Salt Flats(pictured below). It required special attention to streamlining and directional stability including inboard steering, coil spring suspension and lowered nose.

A.J. visited my shop(picture below), at least, once a week to watch the build of this car.

He told me that, even as a young hot rodder in Cali, he had never been involved with any “dry lakes” or Bonneville land speed racing.

We discussed all of the design changes from the standard Watson to optimize this car, for its purpose. A.J.(pictured below) really liked this car and was very pleased to see it “dressed up” in one of his Leader Card paint jobs!

I really liked many of the new features of the “Bonneville” car, so when I laid out the design of the current “Clean Wear” car, I decided to build a “track” version of the “Bonneville” car with outboard coil spring suspension, inboard steering, four link suspension geometry and the lowered nose. This was the last new roadster that A.J. was able to over see the build. He really liked the various modifications and updates of his original designs, especially the four link suspension and the lowered nose.

Unfortunately, A.J. did not live to see this car completed so it will be a tribute to his great friendship and guidance through many years of my career.

mac miller in INDY

RJ55-Miller-05.jpg 003.jpg 024 Bonneville Roadster at IMS August 21 2012 066.jpg AJ inspection.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    carl s likes this.
  30. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

OK, Thanks for the reply? Denny Z.