Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whitewalls + full hub caps???

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ratty_aussie, Dec 4, 2014.

1. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417685386.145937.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417685399.869522.jpg
    So I have these 15 670 firestones and these hubcaps but see how 1/2inch of rim will be exposed between the ww and the hubcap. What's everyone do? Paint/powder coat the rim black, silver, white or same colour as the car? I thought white might blend into the whitewall but then the rim/hubcap might look too small?

What's everyone else do?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"Back in the day", ( '50s ), in the USA Midwest, hot rodder's wheels were often painted red, sometimes black, so the exposed lip of the wheel offered some contrast between the whitewall and the chrome wheel cover.

Production cars often had black wheels when equipped with full wheel covers. Those that came with "poverty caps" (smaller cap covering the lug area), usually were body color.

Do whatever you like.....I don't think there is any 'rule' about it.

Ray

lawman, i.rant and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. I agree with Ray,here in the Upstate of South Carolina the edge of the wheel was generally painted red. HRP

waynos and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. I would agree, some of the nicest looking semi-customs have used the red approach to offer a little touch of detail and color contrast between the white-wall and the wheel cover. You can't go wrong with it.

lawman, i.rant and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. .....................and just for clarification, I've seen it done with any color of car.

Spoggie and Maverick Daddy like this.
  6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I really like full hub caps or wheel covers.. I agree with previous posts on rim colors.. I wish there were more 16" wheel covers as I am having a hard time finding them for my next white walled project.. Wheel covers were popular until "mag" wheels came out, now you hardly see them.. What a shame....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I liked the red rims, WWW's & full caps on my '55 Buick.....................
    [​IMG]

lawman likes this.
  8. I have chrome rims with lancer caps. I don't like the way it makes it look like the hubcaps go all the way to the whitewall. I would prefer to have a color seperation (in my case black). In fact I will be replacing the chrome rims with painted this spring.

9. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

i went gold with mine
    [​IMG]

AdeQ8Styl, LONG, lawman and 1 other person like this.
  10. atomickustom

atomickustom

Any color works as long as it goes with the paint on your car. My car is black so I went red on the wheels. I originally had the wheels painted seafoam green (the original color of the car) but it just blended in with the whitewall and, as you said, made the wheels look smaller. Black or red work with 99% of cars out there. Gold looks nice on that brown squarebird. What color is your car?

11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

If you are looking for Old School Cool...gotta be Red :) Regardless of car color.

12. steveb

steveb

Any color that's darker than the whitewall.

lawman and Hnstray like this.
  13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I am just the opposite, I had a car that came with chrome rims and put full hubcaps on it and I thought it looked really good. I didn't have wide whites though, just 2" wide.

14. Cool cap/colour combo. Got the same caps but the don't even come close to fitting my rim.

15. i was just delivered an original owner '49 merc. the spare in the trunk was on an NOS 500 firestone 7.10-15 bias ply white wall (man i wish they would re pop those) and the wheels were painted red.

Outback and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. I like the red as well on my Ford which is just how it was from the factory.

image.jpg

lawman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. my dad painted the rims red on this car when he built it in '57. i never liked the red with green so i painted them black. DSCF2594.JPG

lawman likes this.
  18. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417805565.553459.jpg

Attached Files:

ynottayblock likes this.
  19. haychrishay

haychrishay

here is a couple pics of the GMC I used to have . One with Olds caps which shows more of the Gold on the wheel and then on with 57 caddy's which shows less of the color gmc & hummer.jpg 56 gmc 34 lft grill.JPG

20. That's a beautiful truck.^^^^^^^^^^^

40fordtudor likes this.
  21. Mine cover the entire rim

Attached Files:

22. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on the color of the car. I remember red more than anything else [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

On certain cars, I like full wheel covers on a chrome rim with a wide whitewall.

24. image.jpg
    I like red on mine

25. skipperman

skipperman

I'm a jersey boy and " in the day" they were ALL red ( FIRST THING 'ya did to your car ) ..... LOTS of Flipper caps too ....... ;)

voodookustoms likes this.
  26. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

The Caddy caps with bullets in post #20 get my vote for "best all time" whatever.

27. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Nice Jimmy

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

28. xracer40

xracer40

The first hot rod I can recall ever seeing belonged to a young guy who lived in the house behind ours.
    It was 46 Ford convertible,baby blue with lake pipes running red wheels and full moon disc hubcaps.
    That was in 1960 and I was 8 years old.

Spoggie and lothiandon1940 like this.