Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Big guys don't fit in early trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by keysrat, Dec 3, 2014.

1. keysrat

keysrat

I have been wanting a 30's/40's pickup to use as my daily driver. I focused on the 38 to 46 Ford, but was open to other makes as well. Thought a flatty with a T5 would suit my needs nicely.
    Went to the Turkey Run this past weekend, cash in hand and hoping.... Saw a nice '36 Chevy pickup, more dolled up than I wanted, but it would have worked. Even the wife liked it.
    It looked a bit small. I got in it. It WAS small. No way I could drive it comfortably, if at all.
    Looked around the rest of the show, even the '46 Ford p/u looked too dinky for me to fit in. A '53 Ford was big enough.
    I'm 6'3" and 230 lbs, so I'm not a little guy. Really had my heart set on a earlier truck.
    What do you other big fellas out there drive? Recommendations?

2. I fit in my '32 pickup at 6'1" k@220 lbs. If you plan on driving a LOT of miles, keep shoppin. There is the perfect truck out there.

3. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

You want small? Try fitting in an America Austin Coupe! lml-30.jpg

4. TinShed

TinShed

It is all in the seat height and placement. I barely fit in a stock A cab with the stock seat. I am 6-2 265 but I drove one A over 200 miles one weekend the a custom seat and it fit me like a nice rubber glove.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. verde742

verde742

love 53-56, Now developing taste for 57-59 and they are af-- ford--able

But Cab overs are the best...

keysrat likes this.
  6. Well I am around 5'11" and 180 and get a little uncomfortable in my '61 Willys pickup. :eek:

My granddad was about 5'3" a WWI survivor. For his time he was not considered a big man but not considered below average either. Those old vehicles we actually designed for people in the 5'3-5'10 range.

That said if I had the cash and could own anything I wanted I would be looking in the A bone through '34 range for my own personal ride. Closed cab of course. If you are building it yourself you can make it fit your frame well enough.

7. aaggie

aaggie

I have to put in a good word for '55-'59 Chevy trucks. Roomy and they just feel right for some reason.

8. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

hell even 60'and 70's trucks too, I can only drive my 68 chevy so long, it's cramped, steering wheel just about rub'in on the belly.

9. I'm with you. I never owned one but have driven a few and I like 'em real well.

10. Might not be the truck's fault! :)

11. I'm 6'4" and weigh in at 235 and drive a '32 pickup,I drove it almost 600 mikes in one day a few years ago,it took a few days to get over that!

I drive it a lot but about 200 miles is the limit nowadays. HRP

[​IMG]

Baumi, keysrat and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Before I bought my '40 coupe, I sat in my neighbors' '29 model A sedan. I realize immediately that there was NO way I could drive it safely. My coupe has plenty of room, and easy to get in and out of. My '41 pickup takes a little planning to get into, but once in it is comfortable to drive. At 6'0" and 200 it's not so much the size, but at 66 years old I don't "bend" as well as I used to.

keysrat likes this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

I sure hope a 6 foot, 195 pounder can fit into a '32 pickup, because I've been collecting its parts for years. I guess if I can survive a couple hundred miles in my little brother's Model A, a '32 will be like a Cadillac.

14. You will fit fine my friend. HRP

15. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

this is the same problem big guys have with roadsters lol my father in law was mad because he owned a ac cobra replica, nice ride, but he looked like he was spilling out of it I would definitely aim towards 50s+ trucks, everything from the 40s down seems a lot smaller.

16. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

I' Image (22).jpg m 6'3" and 270lbs. I can drive this 400 miles but then it takes a while to get back to normal

17. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Older trucks can be a problem for bigger guys. My '53 was uncomfortable for me as stock, but I cut the seat mount down 2", and modified the seat frame so that it would rest against the back of the cab, moved the steering column down and forward a couple of inches and moved the gas pedal over so I could straighten out my let. Still not real comfy, but a heck of a lot better now!!

18. I fit in this 36 without any problems. Stock seat 6-0 220lbs been all over the west with it. a little tight but nothing to worry about could cut down the stock seat if I wanted to or cut down the seat mount but not necessary for me unless I chop it, you want tight....... try the fed...........
    [​IMG]

keysrat likes this.
  19. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

That steering wheel location is to work with a manual steering box. With the wheel near your chest you can get some good leverage on it. A modern steering wheel location, with your arms straight out, would be very tiresome to use without power assist.

I feel a lot more comfortable driving with the old, up-close steering position. I used to have a '74 Bronco as a daily driver for many years. I don't have much of a belly, so I'd get the wheel right up in my lap. Rest my hand on my thigh with a few fingers hooked at the bottom of the rim, or hand at the top of the wheel and my elbow resting on the bottom. I hate distance driving in the modern, safe, straight-arm position.

keysrat likes this.
  20. cometman98006

cometman98006

I'm about 5' 11" (been shrinking) 195 lb. and 76 years old but I can fit ok into my "41 Chev pickup. I had to raise the seat some and it's pushed as far back as possible. Auto trans and tilt steering help. Still I'd plan on stopping and stretching every hour or so.

Attached Files:

21. Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  22. WP_20140808_005.JPG
    Thats funny, when I read the post an Austin is the first thing I thought of. 6'4" 240 and I have a 36 Austin 7. Its not that bad driving, seats moved back, pedals spread a little. The problem is seeing stop lights.

23. Looks like the Dink-mobile next to you^^^^^:D

24. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I'm 6'4" and for trucks I have a '37 Chevy and a '47 Ford. There's a heck of a lot more room in the Ford - I can drive it pretty much anywhere, but the Chevy is fairly tight - short trips only. Maybe when I retire I'll add a couple inches to the chevy. I also have an older Chevy - '30 maybe - it's gonna be a RPU when I finally get to it- it'll definitely need some tweakin' to fit in it comfortably!

25. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Pickup cabs started getting wider in the mid 30s and longer in the mid 50s. Tilt columns, repositioned seats, and moved pedals make a little more room, but a big belly will still result in cramped seating.
    Extending the rear of the cab rearward is beginning to make more sense as I get older (and fatter), the 30s cabs would be easier to extend then the 50s cabs would be. What do you mean "Henry (or Dodge, or Chevy) never made a 5 window 30s pickup?" Gene

26. Yes it is and that's JB's red chevy next to the A. Dink's car really turned out nice, knowing him it will be for sale/ trade before summer.

27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Question is "What are you running for seats?" looking at a 34 pick up and I am 6' 235lbs and wear a 50" jacket.

28. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

I found this out myself many years ago, 6'2 240 , that's why I sit in the back seat of my Hemi J !

29. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

6 foot 8 inches 250 pounds here. I have been driving 48-52 f-1s everyday for a decade now comfortably.

I love early pickups, i started building a 30 ford pickup but sold it due to not fitting well.

30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That's roomy, try a pickup!

adf.jpg