Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Fixing my shoebox...long time coming

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shoebox1950, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Wow that looks nice. Wish I would had saw it in person before I moved from Cali. One of the best shoeboxes on here!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a question, with the kaiser bumper bar and bullets how did you get the tail pipes thru the bullets with the placement or the original rear frame spreader bar directly behind the bumper? We are building a shoebox at present with the kaiser bumper bar etc. even have the chop and dodge side trim happening too.

3. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Thanks guys

The exhaust still needs an S bend to go up and into the Kaiser tit. Clears the rear crossmember just fine.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. firehawgcfd

firehawgcfd

What an awesome shoebox. Wondering if the bags are out of the car now and if so what suspension mods and tire/wheel size did you end up with to achieve that final stance?

5. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Yes, I took the airbags out a while back. The only reason I removed them was because I wanted to finish the car as a period-correct kustom on the outside (still have a smallblock, 350 turbo, 9" Ford rear). I never had any problems with my airbags, but they became a fad to me and something I no longer wanted. My opinion on airbags is that most of the time, bagged cars look too low and it can make or break the overall look. I took some friendly bashing on that one haha.

The car now rides on original leaf springs that I had flattened 4" by E & C Spring in Escondido, California, 4" blocks, and Jamco dropped spindles with cut coils. It rides great, actually! When it was bagged, I had left all of the original leaf spring mounts in place in case I ever wanted to reinstall them. The bag set up consisted of two trailing arms and a panhard bar, so I left the panhard bar in when I reinstalled the leaf springs and it helps out a lot on cornering and rear axle sway with the car being so low on blocks and leaf springs.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  6. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Here's an updated picture.

Attached Files:

daddio211 likes this.
  7. Slopok

Slopok

Very well executed, love the smooth look of everything.

8. Rathbone

Rathbone

What tire size are you running, and are you happy with the fit?