Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest How much grease???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StefanS, Dec 1, 2014.

1. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Alright guys and gals, I hopped under the '54 today to grease the front end. First for those that have seen my other posts, my loose steering is because my pass. side tie rod ends are shot. I can grab the tie rod itself and rotate it with zero resistance...not good. Anyway, so I started greasing and it seemed like none of the boots ever got full. I ended up stopping on each zerk arter like 10 pumps. How do you know when to stop pumping? No grease came out of any of the boots or anything.

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

10 Pumps and there was no grease coming out?
    Sounds like your grease gun is empty, or not making any pressure.
    Usually a couple of pumps is enough on my car. (57 Pontiac)
    Double check your grease gun.
    KK

loudbang likes this.
  3. Slopok

Slopok

After 10 pumps there should be grease everywhere. Maybe the zerks are bad? Does grease come out of the gun when you squeeze it when not on zerk?

4. If you are getting it greased it will come out somewhere the boot or someplace. If one has not been greased on a long time it may not even be accepting grease.

I usually pull the zirks and poke them out as well as the hole they came out of then give the zirc a pump with the gun to make sure that greased can pass through it.

5. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I guess I'll pull them out and see if they're clear. The grease was going somewhere as the tube was empty when I was done, I just dont know where.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I just squeeze until the old grease is forced out. Time to stop and clean up the mess and refill the grease gun.

7. Most likely clogged or you are out of grease,,It should be coming out from under the boot if you put that much grease in.

Take a zert out and clean it. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. fsae0607

fsae0607

Get one of those zerk cleaning tools that you put grease in and hit with a hammer. I have the KD tools one and it works great.

9. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Yeah on everything else I've ever owned thats what its done which is what was throwing me off. Maybe I'll just pick a pack of zerks up at Advanced and swap 'em all out. The weird thing is, the tube of grease was brand new and when I opened the gun to pull the tube out it was just about empty.

10. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Is that tool less expensive than a pack of zerks? I can't imagine there's too much to it

11. If its not squeezing out between the zerk and the tip of the grease gun then it has to be going in the joint. keep pumping until it squeezes out the boots, its not just disapearing!!

12. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I'm gonna hijack my own thread here for a minute to ask about that tie rod. Chevs of the 40s sells the direct replacement (non adjustable) for $100 and National Chevy has one for about $140. National Chevy also has a conversion tie rod that has adjustable tie rod ends for $78. Is there a reason the non adjustable is almost double the price and has anyone used the conversion tie rod kit?

13. fsae0607

fsae0607

Maybe costs about the same, but sometimes it's easier to use the tool to quickly clear a clogged zerk or two than to replace them.

14. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

OTE="fsae0607, post: 10726219, member: 182256"]Maybe costs about the same, but sometimes it's easier to use the tool to quickly clear a clogged zerk or two than to replace them.[/QUOTE]
    I'll have to see if they have one there. I can foresee all the Zerks rounding off when I try and remove them:mad:

15. Slopok

Slopok

Zerks are cheap, replace them.

16. Slopok

Slopok

Wire brush off the crud, spray the threads with W-D or your favorite, and use a 6 point. They'll come outa, not in there too tight.

17. fsae0607

fsae0607

Or Kroil, if you want to see magic happen :D

18. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Never heard of Kroil. Is that like wd40s big brother?

19. fsae0607

fsae0607

It's the best penetrating oil on the planet. It's made by Kano labs. Google "Kano Kroil" and get some. You won't be disappointed!

20. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I'll definitely check that out

21. I'm betting your grease gun is part of the problem.

If the gun is ok and the zerks are bad, the grease sneaks out of the hose someplace or you can't pump it. If the parts are new or dry it can take 10 or more to puff up the boots, but there again it depends on the gun- your 10pumps might deliver a different amount of grease than my 10 pumps.

22. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Thats very true. I think I'll try again tomorrow. Worst case scenario, grease oozes out of the boots. The one I have is one of the $9 AutoZone guns so it could just not pump a bunch at one time

23. The adjustable tie rod ends cost less because they won't pass muster on the concourse circuit.

I would personally go with the adjustable and then find out (from the part number on the end) which modern tie rod end it is and write that on the glove box door for future reference.

24. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I think that may be my plan.

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have you tried your local NAPA or other good parts store? They should be able to get any mechanical part for your Chevy.

26. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

QUOTE="Rusty O'Toole, post: 10728747, member: 19893"]Have you tried your local NAPA or other good parts store? They should be able to get any mechanical part for your Chevy.[/QUOTE]
    I'll call Napa today and see. I never thought about checking with them. When I had my CJ7 that was the only place I'd go cause they had everything I ever needed.

27. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

If your tube went empty there has to be a mess somewhere.

28. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I'm thinking the gun just doesn't put out much grease per pump. There wasn't any grease anywhere, thats the thing

29. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Napa is a no go. They said even their warehouse doesn't have it so, it looks like either the adjustable from NCA or the fixed from Chevs of the 40s it is

30. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Tried it again yesterday and I started seeing grease ooze out of the boots. Guess they were just completely dry/empty. Either way, the sqeeks are gone

57 Fargo likes this.