Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. And thanks again "madfish", the picture looks great !

2. chiro

chiro

I would not use exhaust manifold bolts to lift the engine. They tend to get a little loose over time. I had to do thread repair on all the front exhaust port bolt holes on my flatty. wouldn't want the bolts to let go on you during the lift or to damage the bolt holes at such a tricky location (right next to the water jackets of the block). I used both front and rear bolts on the intake manifold with my load leveler and it worked out well (two bolts in back-two bolts in front). Used extra long bolts and let the link of the chain ride up under the bolt head (with a washer). This prevents marring of the intake manifold. You have a stock manifold and stock heads. I have aftermarket aluminum heads and intake so I did not want to bolt tight to the intake or the head studs either.

Before I put the aftermarket heads and intake on, I made angled steel plates that I bolted to the stock heads and then bolted to the chain of the load leveler. That worked very well too.

Andy

3. Slopok

Slopok

Could that possibly be in the UP of Michigan? I know the road sometimes kisses the shoreline up there. Or is that too far from your location?

4. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Wow. Love this. Too cool!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Denns1989 likes this.
  5. Well it's finally the weekend & I got to hang out with Snewpee a bit tonight, here's a little teaser :

Got the right front wheel all sorted out (brakes, bearings etc.) tonight, post those pics in the morning.

WC145, Grabea, Weezy1930 and 2 others like this.
  6. Keep her warm, will check in on you two tomorrow. LOL. Mikey

Denns1989 likes this.
  7. and a before, during & after with the right front brakes, onto left front & then rears today.

20141128_205337.jpg 20141128_211609.jpg 20141128_213634.jpg

8. Backing plates and spindles look to be in very nice shape. Are the drums able to be turned?

Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  9. I tend to agree. I don't think you should be changing the name due to the availability of a certain spelling on a vanity plate. The car is "Snoopy"!

volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I spend very little time on FordBarn but are the grease catch things on upside down?

"I need my mirror boy"

Atwater Mike and Denns1989 like this.
  11. Hey shine.
    You are right.

Atwater Mike and Denns1989 like this.
  12. Shop was able to turn the fronts, couldn't turn the rear because of the axle hub, my machinist friend is taking care of that this coming week - I went & seen him today, will drop them off after moving Snewpee around this weekend, here is one of the front drums, cleaned up nice.

20141129_120708.jpg

ha ha the car will answer to either name ;-)

Okay, I'm going to stop posting pictures if you guy's start making more work for me ! ha ha ha, ya they are definetly different than the rears, makes more sense to have the curve on the bottom, here is the right rear all cleaned up after some effort today.

20141129_160118.jpg

And I also discovered that I have the front shoes on wrong, didn't realize the forward/ reverse shoe length difference until I started working on the rear brakes... oops that's an easy fix... plus I have to take front hubs off again to fix the upside down grease catchers... those must have been wrong since 1962 !

And here is how the new tire looks with the "cycle" fender

20141129_144540.jpg

WC145, Woogeroo, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  13. Torchie

Torchie

Brakes are looking good. And the tires look Great!
    Torchie.

14. Mart

Mart

Ixna on the ewpeesna.

15. Not a great picture, but here's Snewpee with new boots...taken this morning, I call this picture the "calm before the storm"... more to follow..

20141130_093646.jpg

16. and then about 10 am I started removed the rad & cowl, disconnected wiring, oil press sending unit, throttle, choke etc. etc.

20141130_103812.jpg 20141130_103817.jpg

and then after I had the worst of the engine stuff disconnected, I turned my attention to the transmission, removed the shifter, rolled the carpet & insulation back (floors are solid, still in red primer from the early 60's) & removed top cover, nice "relief" for the transmission eh ? ha ha I will improve that with a removable metal cover....

20141130_111752.jpg
    20141130_112323.jpg

WC145, AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.
  17. and by 1pm my buddy & his dad showed up to give me a hand (thank goodness), I had already drilled 2 "access" holes to get a socket on the transmission to transmission mount bolts, we quickly decided that the motor was going to have to come out separate from the transmission... quite apparent that the transmission was already in the frame before the body went on when it was originally built...
    20141130_135518.jpg 20141130_142753.jpg 20141130_143501.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  18. nix

nix
    from Italy

I like this!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Denns1989 likes this.
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I can't wait for when you and the original builder take to the roads again. Imagine the emotions he might feel. Totally different from yours I presume, other than the both of you look cool in SNEWPEE.

"I need my mirror boy"

Denns1989 likes this.
  20. Torchie

Torchie

Can't tell for sure but those gears look pretty good to me. Did you find any damage?
    I think those pieces/parts that you pulled out of there may have been from the shift tower/trans cover, shifting forks.
    And man. That floor looks really solid.
    Torchie.

21. What a great car you have . I am really enjoying the story as it unfolds .
    Ontario plates from even # years (during your era) were white with blue numbers.
    Odd # years used white numerals on the dark blue background .
    It appears the plate in the story board photo would be from a odd # year .
    Studying it further I am sure the plate in the photo is a 1967
    That was the only year " ONTARIO" was centered in the top row , with 19 on the left and 67 on the right.
    The bottom line is hidden in the photo but would have read " 18 Confederation 67"
    I hope this may be of some help dating the photo .
    Keep the stories and photos coming !

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  22. One of the best threads on here right now!

Denns1989 likes this.
  23. The picture you see must have caught the gears "good side" unfortunately there is some chipped & even one missing tooth ! Removing the transmission was a bear, like I mention above, I drilled 2 1" access holes (actually 3 but 1 was my screw up) to get to the mount nuts, then we used a long extension to get the 2 bottom bolts off of the torque tube/ujoint flange (it was impossible to get the sandwich clamp bolts out) but the top 2 bolts for the torque tube/ u joint flange were near impossible to reach with tools, so my buddy noticed if we opened up the torched out transmission opening by about an inch & half we could get at the nuts & bolts with spanners -out came the zip disc !!

Assisting my buddy Chris removing transmission from Snewpee

20141130_152950.jpg

Do you see the missing tooth ?

20141130_160328.jpg

rounded off gear edge...

20141130_160337.jpg

chipped teeth...

20141130_160412.jpg

floor opening now 1.5" longer...

20141130_165317.jpg

I will be in contact with Marc Van Pelt today to formulate a plan... with this much damage to the internals I don't have a good feeling about it ...

WC145 likes this.
  24. Thank you very much for this info ! I didn't know about the alternating colours - this is very helpful indeed !!

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Bruce Meyer just called me to say he's changing the spelling of his Dough'n Spent Sir roadster because the other plates were already taken.

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Larry your just relentless and terrible, but I laugh before I even read what you've posted nowadays.

"I need my mirror boy"

Weezy1930, Denns1989 and 3wLarry like this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I can't believe you didn't enlarge the trans hole with a torch. You know to not alter the original build style.
    Posted using only Sarcasm.

"I need my mirror boy"

Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

well, so much for the kinder gentler me

29. Torchie

Torchie

Can see the damage plain as day now.
    A few different ways you can go to fix the trans as I am sure Mr Vanpelt will tell you. Later gear sets can be used in the case with some mods to the synchro's I believe. And I think that you would need the wider shift forks as well.
    He's the man with a plan when it comes to a trans..........:)
    Torchie.

Denns1989 likes this.
  30. Larry, don't let some stewpid little detail get under your skin.

Back to the awesomeness which is this thread.