Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My New Project: 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville Resurrection Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Sep 26, 2013.

1. chstitans42

chstitans42

2. aldixie

aldixie

Got mine running yesterday. So happy it seems to run good, lots of smoke from around engine as there is oil leaking from the valve covers. Now onto the brakes.

3. chstitans42

chstitans42

I saw your vid! I wish my first run vid went that well! Keep up the progress!

4. chstitans42

chstitans42

5. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

looks really good but you have both short shoes on the drivers side and both long shoes on the pass side the long shoe should be on the front and the short one on the back

loudbang likes this.
  6. tomnt

tomnt

The short one is the primary. It goes in the front.

7. chstitans42

chstitans42

Well dang you guys are right, time to take everything apart again! Its the fun of the job!

8. Fender1325

Fender1325

Just went through this on my 50. Took a lot of head scratching and hammer beating to find out the nut was reverse thread on the driver side! My lug nuts are normal though.

9. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

yeah thats right thats why you never take both sides apart at once leave yourself a pattern

10. chstitans42

chstitans42

Are the rear brakes the same? different size material on the front vs the back?

11. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

i have no idea on a caddy ask Rodger

12. Fender1325

Fender1325

Yes. The shoe has a longer length of lining on the rear shoe compared to the front - just like the front brakes.

Somewhere, it may have been the HAMB, I read a quote "the fat chick always rides in the back" as a way of remembering which shoe went where.

chstitans42 likes this.
  13. chstitans42

chstitans42

I got the shoes fixed today and the oil pump rebuilt. Im sure I could have gotten by with using all the old gears inside the pump, but figured I might as well since I have it out. I also read that the new spring in the kit is stronger than the one that the car came with (it was two whole coils longer) So I used the original spring again.

14. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

why would you use a old weak spring are you not wanting high oil pressure on the new engain

15. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

that spring is the bypass so with the old one it will bypass at a lower pressure

16. chstitans42

chstitans42

17. Fender1325

Fender1325

Yes! Im famous now! Haha - as I said I read that on some forum which may have been here, but it is a good way of remembering. Im learning myself about the drum brakes too, having just got done on my 50 which is nearly identical.

loudbang likes this.
  18. chstitans42

chstitans42

I totally understand. I took the guts out of the brakes months ago, so I wasn't able to compare shoe to shoe to make sure they were right. I know If I had done the swap right away I bet I would have caught it. You can sure bet that since the mistake is documented on video, I sure won't be doing that again! Plus I have a neat new saying to pass around to everybody!

loudbang and Fender1325 like this.
  19. chstitans42

chstitans42

20. aldixie

aldixie

Nice update. I have to replace my heater hoses before I take the car any distance as they are rock hard. I do have a bleeder valve on the top of one of the heater hoses which I don't see on your setup.

I've just ordered up the new exhaust system. Since it's custom built they are looking at delivering around 3rd week of December.

21. impala4speed

impala4speed

Good to see more progress on your car. Really enjoy the videos.

22. txturbo

txturbo

These things have a mile of hoses. About 35 feet or so. I ordered a roll of each off eBay to do mine. Would have cost a small fortune to buy it by the foot from an auto parts store.

23. chstitans42

chstitans42

Since I bought so much, I got a good discount! Hey man question for you. Could you possibly take a couple pics for me of your coupe deville? I need to remember how the cooling hoses run to and from the transmission cooler. They are not shown in the manual.

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Are you running the hoses into the bottom of the radiator...??? Or a separate tranny cooler...??? Simply run the hoses along the frame, up over the steering linkage to the front...nothing special about how it needs to be-just secure it along the frame so it doesn't sag...

R-

25. chstitans42

chstitans42

In the video above, I show the small transmission cooler that is on the bottom of the transmission. Is that not stock? Is there a better way to do it?

26. txturbo

txturbo

the cooler on the bottom of the transmission is the stock one. I don't have any hoses hooked up right now on the CDV. Its up on the lift with the transmission halfway out. My parts car still has all the hoses hooked up but its a 100 miles away from me right now. I may have a picture somewhere though. I'll check.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  27. txturbo

txturbo

looks like I don't have a picture.

28. chstitans42

chstitans42

Thanks for looking, I will have to comb through my thousands of pics and see what I have as well

29. duc76

duc76
    from OKC, OK

chstitans42. If you don't mind me asking. Where did get the ducting for the blower/heater?

30. aldixie

aldixie

I might be able to take a picture of that if I get time to move the car around today. I need to move it into the middle of the car port so I can get it back up on stands.