Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Looks like 28 -48 Merc / Ford rear with Hydraulic brakes all have the same roller bearing.
    now the Differential has a tapered bearing in it not sure if it's a 462 or not. I have not dug into the diff under the Tbucket yet.

2. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

I agree completely. I just feel fortunate that I was able to live during that era and experience much of it first hand. This thread has caused alot of remembering and joy, and I'll admit it, a few damp eyes as I smile.

3. AK,
    I've been fooling with cars one way or the other since 1962.
    This hobby has all kinds of characters, with all kinds of ideas.
    One thing is for sure. There is a whole lot of heart, sincerity and
    good will among car people.
    Denns1989 shows me that the future for the car guys is secure.
    He has enriched us all in ways he never imagined when he started
    with Snoopy.

Denns1989 likes this.
  4. Whoops I forgot!
    Look at all the great guys that have responded and encouraged him!
    See what I mean?

Denns1989 likes this.
  5. Picked up the "restored" picture & signboard digital copy's this week, I think they turned out really nice, I did like the "yellow" of the original photo but the guy at the photo shop said that's it's difficult to clean the photo up & save the "yellow"... hoping to pick up tires today, old tires are off the rims (I saved them-even thought tire shop guy looked at me like I had 2 heads...) & fortunately the rims were not rusted inside, I was kinda worried about that. Was able to get the front brake drums turned, shop couldn't chuck the rears up, I will talk to my machinist friend soon :)

restored_beach.jpg sign_board.jpg

WC145, Woogeroo, Grabea and 5 others like this.
  6. studebaker46

studebaker46

your digital copy looks real nice. do you have any idea where that picture was taken? also how much was the car driven before being put in storage? thanx tom

7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

It says all about your mindset/attention to detail, when you are slightly desapointed the restored picture aint yellow anymore!! :D

And If you didnt see it, that was a complinent! A "one of kind"-guy that really deserves the respect you get around here!

Denns1989 likes this.
  8. Well the widow said it was taken on lake superior, so this summer I plan on scouting a few of the stops north of town.. hope to do a recreation! I know it wasn't taken in 1970 or 1969, because I know the plate #'s for those years... and I believe he bought in 1968 (because the 2nd owner bought in 1966 & said he sold " a couple years later"... so most likely taken in 1968, so it was driven only 2 years after this photo before being parked, and around here the most it would have been driven is 6 months out of a year... and that would be a stretch.

WC145 and volvobrynk like this.
  9. Compliment taken ! Thanks for the kind words.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Torchie

Torchie

Great to see an up date. Pics and sign board are beautiful.
    Your shop will need an attachment for their brake lathe I believe to turn those old Ford drums which the shop that I use happens to have. You probably know this already but those drums/hubs take some knowledge if you go to separate them as it doesn't take much to warp them into uselessness.
    You guys get as much snow as we did?
    Torchie.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Jer,

Those photos look great!! I know where your coming from with the restoration. I had a photo of the original owner with her new car, had it 'restored' and ended up using the original Brownie pic, mistakes and all.....the main reason, the original had the date it was processed, a common practice back in the day.
    Are your brake drums pitted?..... or just surface rust on the contact area.

Bob

12. Couple of the drums just had normal wear on them, the others just had some contact marking, nothing appears to deep, wanted to try cleaning up before shelling out hundreds :) The 2 they did turn cleaned up really nice.

13. ohh ya we got slammed, now it's warming up & raining... good time to be inside working on Snewpee ! but that happens next weekend... hope to have it rolling on new tires & then take the motor/tranny out & get the tranny opened up.

14. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

YOU want snow.....80" from 11/17 to 11/21. :eek:
    [​IMG]

What 'Lake Effect' snow is all about.:mad:

Bob
    :cool:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  15. Torchie

Torchie

You got us beat Bob . We got about 54" for the same time period. Now it is melting and rainy :(
    Snoopy is going to look slick with the new tires.
    There is a way to put a later (46-48 side shift) gear set into that trans case if you wanted a little easier shifting. VanPelt talks about it on his website.
    Post up lots of pics of the trans rebuild.
    Torchie.

16. Well here are the new tires in my garage waiting for installation, they do have a pie crust, the picture on the Coker site is of a smaller size tire & the pie crust looks pretty mild, but with my size of tire it still has a pie crust, I like the look, just doesn't match the original Snewpee tires, but I have been all over the web & I can't find them smooth with a narrow white wall, I would assume not much demand :)

20141123_110805.jpg 20141123_110813.jpg

I'm torn up on painting or not repainting the rims, they do have surface rust in spots, but since the mounting surface for the tires is not rusted I have decided to leave them as is for now, because getting a match for the paint will be a bear, and as always, once I paint them I can't go back, if I leave them as-is then I haven't made an un-reversable change.
    Plus - I need tires on Snewpee to be able to roll it around when I pull the engine & that's in only 4-5 days - On that note, where is the best point to connect a lift chain on a flathead to pull it ? I have an overhead chain fall & load leveller (if needed), just need to know what to bolt up to on the motor.

17. Have you posted close ups of the wheels in question ? Some cool stuff here about de-rustfying and getting great results paint intact. Let's see 'em. Can' be that bad. Someone will give a great answer I promise.

Love it. Continue...

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

The tires look good for the period and style to me. Nobody will mind. They're still cool.

"I need my mirror boy"

19. Torchie

Torchie

I tend to go corner to corner using the exhaust manifold bolt holes. Or if you can get to them one of the trans bolt hole in the back and a exhaust bolt hole for the front.. Lots of people just use a head bolt hole. Front one one side . Rear on the other.
    I usually pull the carb/carbs off for chain clearance but then I don't have a leveler.
    Also agree with the tire comments. They will look great and it's not like you are changing a permanent thing.
    Torchie.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Jer,

Actually I think the ''pie crusts" are pretty kool, you really only see 'em on the older repo tires.
    Our Vic has them on the original spare. The Coker bias 7.10/15 WW replacements are a perfect match except they be tubeless.
    I have a bunch of some 1/8 inch flat stock lifts that I've made up over the years.
    I use bolts in the top corner of the heads, L/F-R/R.

Keep the pic's coming, you'll be glad you have 'em down the road.

Bob

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

This is a (snoopy) subliminal message
    This is a (not snewpee) subliminal message

K.L and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Use exhaust manifold bolts. Do not use head bolt holes on a flathead.

23. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

My dad just got tires for his 1975 Caprice Convertible and he had a terrible time finding nice looking skinny white walls. They all looked too modern and had odd sidewall patterns to them. The tires he ended up with were close to original but not exactly like his originals. With tires all we can do is find the best ones that are offered by the suppliers. You can't buy vintage tires and drive with them. So our only choice is to find what is closest to original and live with it. You did good.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Page 5 was the only wheel close-ups I could find....reasonably close up anyway. My mouse finger is sore....you !! :)
    I know you used the metal magic on your caps with steel wool....but those wheels will clean up resaonably well with some diluted CLR and a rough patterened cloth/linen.....think "elbow grease", and eek out some grunting while you're at it. Thinking more successes are in store.

[​IMG]

Hope you don't mind a coupla' re-prints....for those of us with old creaky mouse fingers....

[​IMG]

WC145, AHotRod, jocktherock and 2 others like this.
  25. Squablow

Squablow

You can take tire lettering and other features off of the side of a tire with an 80 grit pad on a DA set to spin mode. I have shaved all the lettering off of many sets of modern tires to eliminate the ugly modern lettering fonts that radial tires seem to come with. If it absolutely bothers you, you could do the same to eliminate the "pie-crust" ridges from your new tires. It's pretty easy, practice on some old junk ones first.

Personally, I think you made the right tire choice and I wouldn't mind the slightly different sidewall pattern but you seem so devoted to authenticity that I thought I'd put that bug in your brain.

Weezy1930 and volvobrynk like this.
  26. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I was thinking about suggesting grinding off the pie crusts. Glad you provided some info!

27. madfish

madfish

28. Hey ! Nice Job !! Cleaned up with "old" look to it... What a surprise :)

29. Jer,
    I have been trying to think wher that picture was taken, as there aren't any places that I know of that paved highway is that close to the water edge. Might even be at Gros Cap,??

30. GrosCap was my first thought, the widow was certain it wasn't taken there, going to check out the "angles" there next spring, also wondering about the road at Harmony beach ?

Hitchhiker likes this.